It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil in the Wake of Katrina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Does anyone find it odd that FEMA paid all that money to the victims of the hurricaine to leave and not come back. Then for them to announce in September that they had found what "could be the biggest domestic oil find in 38 years." Somehow it all seems suspicious to me. I know there are many "conspiracies" to Katrina but it seems the government created this problem to pay the people to leave and not want to come back. And now they can do as they please with all that oil and make huge profits this summer by raising our gas prices once again!

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I can see why you would think that way. But, people weren't paid to leave the city. The people were evacuated either by choice preKatrina or through a mandatory evacuation because the city was simply uninhabitable, no water, gas, lights, phone, commodities, etc. and crime was running rampant. Everything was shut down due to flood waters and extensive damage.

People were given just a little over $2,000.00 to help them ride the hump.
Normally when one evacuates for a hurricane, they are gone two maybe three days, if all goes well, and they pack clothing and such for a minimal amt of time. We couldn't return to the city for almost a month. Think of a family of four and the needs. Clothes, food, shelter, deposits for all utilities for renting a place, gas, etc. That money didn't begin to cover the expenses.

The people aren't coming back because their homes were completely destroyed and insurance won't cover their losses or they simply didn't have insurance or public housing is no longer available, or they found better opportunities and quality of life in the town/cities to where they evacuated. The reasons are numerous.

Yes, the city population is less than half of what it was preKatrina. However, all neighboring suburbs are up and running. I live in a neighboring suburb and I'm only about a two minute drive from New Orleans. It's not like there aren't eyes watching what's going on here.

I really don't think the recent oil field discovery off the coast had anything to do with Katrina. But who knows, you could be right and I am totally clueless. LOL

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I do understand about the city being unihabitable, I do not wish to sound unsympathetic to the issue. I just found it to be coincidental that this all happened. With this organization, it seems everything is "coincidental" including natural disasters.

$2000.00, that's it? I'm curious about this figure. Is there anyone or any how they could've gotten more? I "know" some people who have moved to my location from NO and they appear to somehow have gotten more than their fair share!

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Oh no, you didn't sound unsympathetic at all and it wasn't taken that way. I agree 100%. The timing of the two incidents does seem odd. Actually, I thought it pretty perceptive of you to put those two things together.

I've read about the possibility of the government controlling the weather. I just don't know. And there is a lot of oil out there! I like to think it's more from global warming and few other, more minor factors, that's causing these huge storms.

As for the amt. of money, everyone I know received right around $2000.00. Yes, I've heard some made out like bandits, but I feel certain that's not the majority of people. The government is catching up with those who cheated, thank goodness.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by curiousoutherngal
As for the amt. of money, everyone I know received right around $2000.00. Yes, I've heard some made out like bandits, but I feel certain that's not the majority of people. The government is catching up with those who cheated, thank goodness.

Tell me about it. When I hear some people mention how much money they recieved from FEMA, I am like

I can see how it could be thought that FEMA paid people to stay away, but I think we were always pretty clear on how much oil was around. Also, you have to take into account the areas that are now in tatters still, and what use it would be to oil companies.

Lakeview/Gentilly seems an odd place to start drilling. The lower 9th also seems strange, considering that you would have to get to St. Bernard somehow, and I don't think any of us could tolerate any more inconveniences besides the St. Claude train/Claiborne bridge.

It just seems they have been paying the wrong people off with this theory.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Could it be that they just haven't rebuilt the areas on purpose? They could be trying to keep the area clear of people so that they don't find out just how much oil they drill out. That way when summer comes they can use the same old shortage story and raise the prices of oil/gas.

The people I know, who are not good people, came here with their money, bought up cars, electronics, furniture, etc...and didn't even work. I suppose money must have eventually ran out because they are now working. Would FEMA have supported the rent/utilities for people out of the area.

Now I only speak on theory here, I have never been to NO, and have no idea on what the conditions of living are. Maybe these people just found that this was a better place to live. (Though they did complain about the police harassing them) I mean if it is full of murder and crime I guess I wouldn't want to be there either. Just interested in hearing the REAL story from those that know.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Could it be that they just haven't rebuilt the areas on purpose? They could be trying to keep the area clear of people so that they don't find out just how much oil they drill out. That way when summer comes they can use the same old shortage story and raise the prices of oil/gas.

That's a thought. The mayor is allowing people to come back in, but with no plan! You may have one neighborhood with 500 abandoned homes and two people living in FEMA trailers in their driveways. Doesn't make sense. What if their neighbors don't return? Because many won't! And it's really scarey at night, it's even spooky during the day. We'll keep our eye on that. It's certainly something to consider.

They bought CARS??
WOW! I have no idea how they managed that.

I've seen interviews where many don't want to return. They have found better housing, higher wages, much better schools, etc. The city of New Orleans, on a whole, is divided in to two classes, the very poor and the very wealthy. Certainly not all, but a large part of the middle class live in the suburbs. The majority of the poor lived in deplorable public housing facilities and many worked the hard labor and service jobs for $5.15 an hour. That doesn't go far on a family of three or four. So I can appreciate that they won't be returning. For many, the storm was a blessing...although I know that sounds insane.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Three Cadillacs to be specific, not to mention the bedroom sets and everything else. They are back at min wage jobs. The lady is working at Wal-Mart and the guy is at Taco Bell, so it's not the jobs they are staying for.
Probably the quality of life, I'm sure.

new topics

top topics

join