It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17 year old gets 10 years for having sex with 15 year old

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

He's 20 now. Just two years into a 10-year sentence without possibility of parole, he peers through the thick glass and bars,
trying to catch a glimpse of freedom. Outside, guard towers and rolls of coiled barbed wire remind him of who he is.

Once, he was the homecoming king at Douglas County High.
Now he's Georgia inmate No. 1187055, convicted of aggravated child molestation.

ESPN link

The law that put this young man in jail was changed, right after his conviction.
Even the girl admitted that she initiated the act.

I must say that both of them made a bad decision that night.

But 10 years? no Parole?
This really bugs me.

I'm interested in your input on this.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Stay away from Georgia!!!

This man needs to be released immediately.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow, that's crazy.. I mean, I can see maybe putting the guy on community service or something, but 10 years for messing with someone that is a couple of years younger?
Wow...

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
What a bunch of bastards...taking his future and freedom for something that wasn't even initiated by him and there is evidence to provide with that. Horrible decision, horrible judgment, and overall horrible way to ruin someone's future. That D.A. needs his head checked..

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yeah, to me this is SO different, than some 40 year old perv, ovepowering
a young girl..THAT demands prison time.

This is high school kids..doing something stupid. A whole other story.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
GOOD LORD!!!

Thank God almighty I didn't go to high school in Georgia... I'd probably have gotten sentenced to death!

Anyone know of a petition that can be signed for this poor guy? Even though it probably doesn't matter if you aren't from the state of Georgia.

Stupid laws like this are found in every state... But they aren't enforced anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Some men rape young girls and get little to no jail time.

This sentence is not right at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
He broke the law and comited statutory rape on a minor. He belongs in jail. It doesn't matter that he was young when it happened.

In Pennsylvania, the age of consent is 14. Does this mean that it'd be acceptable for an 17 year old to have sex with a 13 year old?

These kinds of laws need to have an arbitrary age cut off, and it has to be stuck to, otherwise, there's no point to the law.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Oh come on, Nygdan, they both consented to it, nobody forced anyone and they're only 2 years apart. He's not 60 y.o. and preying on her.
Personally, I think those kind of laws are silly except the one about someone very mature having sex with someone under the age of say 18. But between a 17 y.o. and a 15 y.o.? Where's the victim? Where's the crime? They may have done something stupid, and then again maybe it wasn't - as long as they use birth control, they care for each other, etc. But anyway, my main point is that the parents of an under 18 kid should be the one to make the decision, not the courts or the govt. There is always the rare exception, 2 really mature kids, etc. or other extenuating circumstances. Anyway, it should be up to the parent unless it's a mature person preying on a very young one. That's the time when the law needs to step in IMHO.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Apparently there WAS a problem Nygdan.
they changed the law.

Regular sex got you a misdemeanor.
Oral sex was a felony. Thats what got him the 10 years. (with no parole)

the technicality has been fixed since then.

Do you think he deserves 10 years?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The judge, the prosecutor and the community have a SERIOUS problem.

Why is he still in prison? 2+ years later.

Somebody, from what I gathered from the article, was investigating the video for an alleged rape at the same party. Somebody, saw the blowjobs of the others, and either knew of this obscure, rediculous law, and HATEFULLY pursued it. -OR- It was a over-zealous sexually-frustrated judge, whom upon learning of the fine print of the law, quelled some of his/her own retarded yearnings by DESTROYING this mans life.

This is absurd, no matter how you look at it.

Stupid Laws, of which many are still legally enforceable. But AREN'T.

Excuse me, I have to go roll up my sidewalks. I can be fined if I don't have them rolled up by 7:00pm and I'm late.

:edit: Now here's a duzey that isn't so black and white to me.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by nextguyinline]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Anyone know of a petition that can be signed for this poor guy? Even though it probably doesn't matter if you aren't from the state of Georgia.

Yes!
There is one here:

Contacts, and petition..etc..
Wilson Appeal

It seems that no one involved thinks he should have gotten this sentence, yet no one is willing to shoulder even part of the blame.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Murders get less time than that it seems.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
That's rediculous and unfair...
Personally I know of heaps of people that have sex at around that age, it's their choice and their business I think.
That time doesn't suit the crime.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
He broke the law and comited statutory rape on a minor. He belongs in jail. It doesn't matter that he was young when it happened.

You can't be serious! Two high school kids had sex... I bet if they actually enforced this law on a regular basis 90% of Georgia would be in jail! Especially oral sex... Which I guess is somehow worse then the more traditional type of sex.

It's a law that was made back in the day and should... needs... to be phased out.

Thanks Spacedoubt... I'm signing the damn petition now.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
if he was 17 isnt he still considered a minor he was not even old enough to vote...

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I had a similar situation like this one time.

My partner and I were responding to a 10-52 (dispute in progress). Five minutes away from the scene we get another call (and are told to divert from the 10-52 to the new one). Immediately we knew it had to be serious for them to divert us. The dispatcher notified us that we had a probable 10-34 in progress (assault).

Upon arriving at the scene, we noticed a male (who was 16 years of age), and a female (who was 13 years of age). The male was clearly beaten up, and the girl (who claimed he hit her first) had no marks on her. I charged her with domestic battery & disorderly conduct. I was at first inclined to release the male after making a statement, however, during the course of his statement, the guy was actually stupid enough to write (not in these exact words) "the altercation began while we were having sex." As soon as I read that, I informed the kid that I was required to charge him because having sex with a 13 year old is clearly illegal. I was at intitially going to charge him with statutory rape, however, after interviewing the girl, I learned that the entire encounter was completely consentual. In the end I believe I charged him with the lesser crime of unlawful conduct with a minor. The male's charge was eventually dropped entirely by the prosecuter, and the female ended up with simple battery (disorderly was dropped).

Anyhow, the point to this story, I don't believe it should be considered "rape" if both of the parties are freely engaging in the act.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
In Georgia it is allowable for a 16 year old to marry with the permission of their parents. I believe that the age of consent is also 16 as well. The guy was underage (18) when he did it, making him a minor as well. It seems odd that they try him as an adult.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
You got to be kidding me right?

When I was 17 I was having sex with a 15 year old...its 22 years later and I am still having sex with the same woman (39 and 37 now respectively)

I wonder if I can get retro arrested?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Be careful booty, I wouldn't be surprised to see any army of FBI agents at your door.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join