It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia not cooperating.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Link

MOSCOW - Russia responded with silence Thursday after Georgia revealed a foiled effort by a Russian man to sell weapons-grade uranium, an episode that appeared to cast doubt on the nation's ability to halt the black market trade in nuclear materials.

The origin of 3.5 ounces of highly enriched uranium seized early last year in the former Soviet republic remains unclear, and some experts accused Georgia of trying to embarrass Russia at a time of strained relations between Moscow and Washington.

The Russian government said nothing publicly about the inquiry. An unidentified official at the nuclear agency Rosatom, quoted by the Interfax news agency, denied Georgian accusations that Russia was not cooperating with an investigation of the case.

U.S. and Georgian officials told The Associated Press that Georgian authorities, aided by the CIA, set up a sting operation that led to the arrest last year of a Russian citizen who tried to sell a small amount of uranium enriched to about 90 percent U-235, suitable for use in an atomic bomb.

Georgian officials said attempts to trace the source of the nuclear material, and to investigate the man's claim that he had access to larger quantities of highly enriched uranium, failed because Russia did not cooperate.

Whats going on here? If there are nuclear materials being sold in the black world, Russia should be helping to prevent something like this as well as confirming its theirs. Its possible they would only intervene if the materials are being sold to Chechen terrorist groups, that should make them respond and cooperate with us.
Unless the Russian govt. has a hand in this. Nah, too risky.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Be a little more descriptive...Who is "us"? The USA? Well, is the USA cooperating with Russia? No.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Georgia?!!

Man they've got the best secret service in the world!!

Georgia is trying a bit of media based blackmailing..

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
There are two possible reasons to explain this. One is possible, the second is admittedly speculation.

1. Russia is totally corrupt, and the law enforcement groups that would investigate this have been bought off.
  2. Russia is intentionally turning a blind eye to this. Over the summer, I found two articles on the Pravda website (you think I can find them now? Of course not.) that basically said that Russia is desperate to undermine American influence. They are under the impression that if the US moves into Iran, then they will move into Russia next, and therefore they are supporting Iran. So maybe, then, it behooves them to just look the other way when someone sells nuclear material that might end up in Britain or the US?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Russia is totally corrupt and Putin is KGB. Theres no such thing as ex-KGB.

Putin has been trying to rebuild the glory days of communist Russia. He doesnt care if Spain, England, Iraq, Israel, the USA or any other country gets nuked. Hell, I think hed enjoy watching it burn.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This development doesn't surprise me. I've always believed The Bear to merely be in hibernation.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
America is digging it's own hole. The Russians are waiting for the right time to take "the best and most powerful country" title yet again. I do agree that there is no such thing as ex-KGB. They are not as stupid as they seem, but that applies to Bush too.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Russia has reasons to worry. If US eventually invades and occupies Iran- guess where it leaves Russia- Completely surrounded from the South and West. Look at what countries and regions recently joined NATO, or joined the American cause: the Baltics, Poland, Moldavia, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Georgia, Iran, Afganistan, and are now attempting the same with Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Azerbaijan. Eventually US might wish to place military bases in these regions (already planning for Poland Ukraine and Georgia). Now who the hell knows why US needs airbases in Ukraine, and ABM missiles in Poland; but Russia is very cautious about it. Iran would give US access to the Caspian sea which partially lies in Russia.

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Russia is totally corrupt and Putin is KGB. Theres no such thing as ex-KGB.

What do you mean by corrupt? Russia was totally (and I mean hit the limit) corrupted under Yeltsin who was more pro-US than Putin. Under Yelsin Russia was run by a bunch of oligarchs who had ties to US and UK. Putin has made some progress in fighting oligarchy corruption, but the job is still way far from finished.

And if there is no such thing as ex-KGB, there is no such thing as ex-Cold War, because KGB was synonimous with Cold War strategies. If Cold War is still being fought (and it seems like it by actions of both US and Russia), then what US is doing could be seen as alarming by Russia- surrounding it from all sides.

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Putin has been trying to rebuild the glory days of communist Russia. He doesnt care if Spain, England, Iraq, Israel, the USA or any other country gets nuked. Hell, I think hed enjoy watching it burn.

Putin has been trying to rebuild Russia, period. "Glory days" are still far far away even if thats what he is trying to do. Russia hit rock bottom in 1996. Russian GDP was on par with Ethiopia that year, and standards of living the worst in Europe. Interestingly that was also the peak of Russia's good relations with the US.

With Putin the country had an uphill battle, and virtually all progress was a welcome change compared with the 90's. He is trying to rebuild Russia virtually from nothing.

And to say that Putin is seeking to return communism to Russia is absolutely ignorant if you know what is going on in Russia's politics. There is absolutely nothing to suggest Putin is interested in returning communism in any way shape or form. The Russian communist party is considered opposition to Putin.

If Putin wanted to rebuild the glorious empire of the past, I am sure he wouldn't have let Ukraine and Georgia separate and join the US camp. If it so wanted (and you would have to be removed fairly far from reality to believe that it does), Russia would have the capabilities to invade most of the ex-USSR members, and US would be left fighting proxy wars for the fear of a nuclear war. Name one country that Russia has attacked or invaded since the fall of the USSR?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qwazzy
America is digging it's own hole. The Russians are waiting for the right time to take "the best and most powerful country" title yet again.

Did I miss something? I wasn't aware Russia was ever the most powerful country, and you must be joking about the best.

new topics

top topics

join