Global Warming: Final Verdict

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Global Warming: The Final Verdict

A study by the world's leading experts says global warming will happen faster and be more devastating than previously thought
January 21, 2007
Robin McKie, science editor

Global warming is destined to have a far more destructive and earlier impact than previously estimated, the most authoritative report yet produced on climate change will warn next week.

A draft copy of the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, obtained by The Observer, shows the frequency of devastating storms - like the ones that battered Britain last week - will increase dramatically. Sea levels will rise over the century by around half a metre; snow will disappear from all but the highest mountains; deserts will spread; oceans become acidic, leading to the destruction of coral reefs and atolls; and deadly heatwaves will become more prevalent.

The impact will be catastrophic, forcing hundreds of millions of people to flee their devastated homelands, particularly in tropical, low-lying areas, while creating waves of immigrants whose movements will strain the economies of even the most affluent countries.
That's Final

Well, folks, this is the new world we are spiralling towards. Sounds like fun,huh?

Yet, the world's governments are doing little to prepare for this. Instead, we are fighting a war over the very thing that contributes to this problem.. How ironic.




posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
more words, just words, what use is this report, how will it change anything in reality.



posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
more words, just words, what use is this report, how will it change anything in reality.


It isn't going to change anything. However, it can inform people enough to exact change.. Although, i don't see any change coming in the world's environmental policies until it is too little, too late... Isn't that the way most things work as far as the human condition goes? I certainly think so.



posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Although, i don't see any change coming in the world's environmental policies until it is too little, too late... Isn't that the way most things work as far as the human condition goes? I certainly think so.


It's too bad many common folk prefer the hard lesson and will bear the greatest burden. The paradox is that the top offenders, that can effect the most change, are less apt to suffer from the consequences of planetary degradation.

I grew up to the saying "Give a hoot. Don't pollute!"...no one gave a hoot and Woodsy died of lung cancer.



[edit on 25-1-2007 by Regenmacher]



posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Although, i don't see any change coming in the world's environmental policies until it is too little, too late... Isn't that the way most things work as far as the human condition goes? I certainly think so.


It's too bad many common folk prefer the hard lesson and will bear the greatest burden. The paradox is that the top offenders, that can effect the most change, are less apt to suffer from the consequences of their degradation.

I grew up to saying "Give a hoot. Don't pollute!"...no one gave a hoot and Woodsy died of lung cancer.





Yeah, Regen,I also grew up with Woodsy.. I actually almost forgot about him until you mentioned him... It was Woodsy the owl and Louie the Lightening bug..


It's amazing how things like Woodsy and Smokey just kind of faded into oblivion. I guess it's indicative of the present world we live in...where few care about what happens to the environment and those that do are either ignored or called "nuts."



posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
bah

just wait until the next major volcanic eruption, nature's eraser



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sacreligion
bah

just wait until the next major volcanic eruption, nature's eraser


There is actually a Super Volcano at Yosemite park that they say could erupt any time. It is believed that when it erupts, it's going to take a large portion of the Western United States with it..



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
How about twice the annual snowfall in Alaska, back to back midwest blizzards for weeks, snow in Arizona, Texas, 30 below wind chill right here in Connecticut, the coldest northeast temperatures in years and now this:

www.chron.com...

It doesnt take much for the "scientists" to run up their fear mongering campaign for grants, for the government to see new ways to tax or for the public to freak out and fly off the deep end. Oh but some guy said it was .6 degrees hotter somewhere in Asia so I guess we are all doomed.



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Thisguyright there, all of that "may" be true. However, one can not deny the fact that the glaciers are melting at the poles. Regardless of what it's doing continentally, the fact is, there is a melting of the glaciers.

I saw a video of polar bears dying three and four at a time because the ice is becoming so thin that it's collapsing under their feet.



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
How about twice the annual snowfall in Alaska, back to back midwest blizzards for weeks, snow in Arizona, Texas, 30 below wind chill right here in Connecticut, the coldest northeast temperatures in years and now this:

www.chron.com...



By the way, it's not unusual for it to get down in the twenties here in Texas... The only thing that surprised me is the length of time it has stayed cold here in Texas... Usually when a cold front moves in here,it's cold for 2 maybe 3 days and then it moves on... This year, it was 25 degrees and below for over a week straight... There is a nother cold front moving in tomorrow and it's supposed to stay for another 10 days..


[edit on 26-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Then why isnt the focus on saving polar bears rather than the coming end of days because I have a pick-up truck?

And who are to say the ice isnt supposed to melt and polar bears are supposed to die? Im not God, are you?

For al we know all this "save the one-legged shreaking tit-mouse" crap is messing the natural order of things up way more than letting it go.



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Then why isnt the focus on saving polar bears rather than the coming end of days because I have a pick-up truck?

And who are to say the ice isnt supposed to melt and polar bears are supposed to die? Im not God, are you?



Wow, so now God is causing this? Yeah, let's say this is God's "plan" that solves it. I don't mean to be condescending,but really. You are more than welcome to have a pick up truck, but you shouldn't be opposed to finding more efficient and clean ways to operate the pick up truck...



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Then why isnt the focus on saving polar bears rather than the coming end of days because I have a pick-up truck?

And who are to say the ice isnt supposed to melt and polar bears are supposed to die? Im not God, are you?



Wow, so now God is causing this? Yeah, let's say this is God's "plan" that solves it. I don't mean to be condescending,but really. You are more than welcome to have a pick up truck, but you shouldn't be opposed to finding more efficient and clean ways to operate the pick up truck...


I see nothing wrong with finding alternate fuels. Just dont create fear and hype or taxation to do it. The free market and research work wonders. If a demand for oil falls or if our supply is cut off some company will develop an alternative. Companies love profit. Profit needs product. Product needs demand.

And thanks for the over patronizing laughter at the expense of mentioning "God." Real mature. Replace it with Shiva, evolution or some grand space-time theory, I dont care what you stick in its place. Use reptilian aliens controlling Rumsfeld if you want. Im just always amazed by how mankind never ceases to lay off the hubris. Not for one second even given everything we know about how grandly insignificant this entire galaxy is. It boggles the mind. Everything is our fault and we're the only ones who can fix it. What are we going to do about the finite life of the sun or the coming asteroid bombardment? This whole thing is a way for governments to gain more control, power and to divide the people even more.



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   




RELIGION & ENVIRONMENT


What's so important about the potentially powerful influence of conservative evangelical Christians on environmental issues, especially global warming? For years, many of these evangelicals have been charging environmentalists-and those progressive Christians who support environmentalism-with idolatry for lavishing worship on "God's creation" rather than God. Moreover, they have been skeptical, if not downright hostile, toward government-mandated protection of the environment.

So as President Bush early in his administration initiated efforts to roll back a slew of federal environmental regulations-including safeguards on clean air and water and protections against commercial logging and drilling on public lands, among others-and withdrew American support for the Kyoto treaty on global warming, he knew he could count on conservative evangelicals to remain firmly in his corner.


Source

Despite what eveangelicals may claim, they can not deny that the Bible clearly states that destroyers of the earth will be dealt with...


Revelation 11:18



According to these angels, part of the reason for Christ's return is to pass judgment on those who have polluted, defiled, and marred God's creation! God has great patience, but by that time He will have seen enough of man's blatant disregard for the work of His hands. He will strike with a vengeance that mankind has never before even imagined (Matthew 24:21-22), and the guilty will pay with their lives.

Those Who Destroy Will Pay



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
And thanks for the over patronizing laughter at the expense of mentioning "God." Real mature.


You don't know me...I seriously doubt that you know anyone who believes in God any more than I do...I just personally don't think he's an arse and is going to intentionally destroy what he made.. Thank ya.

[edit on 26-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 26-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

I grew up to the saying "Give a hoot. Don't pollute!"...no one gave a hoot and Woodsy died of lung cancer.



[edit on 25-1-2007 by Regenmacher]


I remember Woodsy, I knew Woodsy Owl, Woodsy Owl was a friend of mine, And you Regenmacher, are no Woodsy the Owl.

I'm fairly certain that the land, air, and water in this Country is much cleaner than it was in the 1960's and 1970's thanks to the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, CERCLA, RCRA, etc.



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by Sacreligion
bah

just wait until the next major volcanic eruption, nature's eraser


There is actually a Super Volcano at Yosemite park that they say could erupt any time. It is believed that when it erupts, it's going to take a large portion of the Western United States with it..



Actually it is Yellowstone National park that you are referring to. I believe it is the largest super caldera in the world. But it could do as you say and much more.



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You

Actually it is Yellowstone National park that you are referring to. I believe it is the largest super caldera in the world. But it could do as you say and much more.


Yeah, for some reason I get Yellow Stone and Yosemite mixed up...I guess that for whatever reason I think Yellow stone should be called Yosemite...



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Nice post SoT.
Gee, now I feel so warm and fuzzy.
I was watching a program about a month back. I believe it was The Learning Channel, if not it was one of the channels which is similar. Anyway it was talking about global warming, and how the Earth actually can/will heal herself. The basic premise was on how the Gulf Stream works. It was quite fascinating. The layers of salienated water and non salienated water actually create something like a conveyor belt. with one layer riding above the other layer in opposite directions. This is what keeps Europe warm. Now if too much of the ice melts, and the fresh water becomes too much in the ocean, then the stream will for all intents and purposes stop. This would create a devestating, and swift "mini ice age".

Here is a link to a similar story.

www.i-sis.org.uk...

I certainly do believe that Global Warming is a sad fact. However the future may not be exactly what we think it will be. It could be the exact opposite. Interesting topic for debate.



posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
Nice post SoT.
Gee, now I feel so warm and fuzzy.
I was watching a program about a month back. I believe it was The Learning Channel, if not it was one of the channels which is similar. Anyway it was talking about global warming, and how the Earth actually can/will heal herself. The basic premise was on how the Gulf Stream works. It was quite fascinating. The layers of salienated water and non salienated water actually create something like a conveyor belt. with one layer riding above the other layer in opposite directions. This is what keeps Europe warm. Now if too much of the ice melts, and the fresh water becomes too much in the ocean, then the stream will for all intents and purposes stop. This would create a devestating, and swift "mini ice age".

Here is a link to a similar story.

www.i-sis.org.uk...

I certainly do believe that Global Warming is a sad fact. However the future may not be exactly what we think it will be. It could be the exact opposite. Interesting topic for debate.


Lombozo, that is very true... One of the things that I have wondered, even as a believer in global warming....is rather simple yet the answer doesn't seem to be forth coming..

My question is this... If it is indeed a fact that the glaciers are melting, where is all of the water going? Glaciers are huge and would add an awful lot of water index to the oceans. It would seem to me that the shorelines should already be under water,yet, they are not. It seems rather odd.

Could it be that the earth is literally absorbing this excess water and turning it into vapor? If so, by what process?

[edit on 26-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]




top topics
 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join