It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Man Caught Trying to Sell Weapons Grade Uranium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A Russian citizen was arrested by officials in Georgia for trying to sell weapons grade uranium to agents whom he thought were Islamic terrorists. The amount he was trying to sell was only 100g, not enough material for a bomb, but he claimed he could obtain more -- enough to make a small nuclear bomb. United States and Russian authorities cooperated in the sting operation.

today.reuters.co.uk
TBILISI (Reuters) - Georgian special services have foiled an attempt by a Russian citizen to sell weapons-grade uranium for $1 million (508,000 pounds) to agents he thought were radical Islamists, a senior Interior Ministry official said on Thursday.

The official said Oleg Khintsagov, a resident of Russia's North Ossetia region, was arrested on February 1 2006 and a closed court soon after convicted him to 8 1/2 years in prison.

Khintsagov was detained as he tried to sell uranium-235 to an undercover Georgian agent posing as a member of a radical Islamist group, said Shota Utiashvili, who heads the ministry's information and analytical department.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Very, very troublesome. There have been several busts of black market trade in radioactive materials, and there most likely many more that have gone through undetected.

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

[edit on 1/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 25-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Troublesome is not the word for it. What I find interesting is the fact the seller was so dumb he carried the stuff around in a plastic bag. No doubt that was his own death warrant, but I do hope no one else dies as a result.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Troublesome is not the word for it. What I find interesting is the fact the seller was so dumb he carried the stuff around in a plastic bag. No doubt that was his own death warrant, but I do hope no one else dies as a result.

This is the reason I found it hard to believe when I read it. Seems convienant timing.

AAC

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Oh goody,

We all really knew that Russian nuclear facilities/material are protected by lil more than possums....

But now, we have proof that people who have material are prepared to sell it to finatical muslims.

YAY, more horse tripe coming out that just inflames the 'anti-muslim' mentality the world is facing.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
its all usa propaganda he never even had the materials

actually just kidding, but im suprised no one came here to post that

and that is very very troublesome

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

YAY, more horse tripe coming out that just inflames the 'anti-muslim' mentality the world is facing.

I think muslims have done that to themselves. There would be NONE anti-muslim sentiment if they had not commited the crimes that they have in the name of their religion.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
just think. not only will we have a war with iraq but another country if
bush thinks terrorists are now starting to move there or who knows canada or maby mexico .....

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

I think muslims have done that to themselves. There would be NONE anti-muslim sentiment if they had not commited the crimes that they have in the name of their religion.

Hey I agree,
But its all a matter of perspective isnt it.
911, 7/7 all that.
We are yet to see proof, we are being told.

But then again, if Its ok to label them haneous monsters because of there acts, and to retaliate as nessecary..

why are they in the wrong for labeling us as such in Iraq, and retaliating?

Double standards

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Actually, uranium of any enrichment is not that radioactive as long as you don't have a lot of it in one place. 100g in your pocket ends up being about 16 uSv/hr by my back-of-the-envelope calculation. A real number would require you to do a lot more number munching, but I think that's pretty close.

The radioactivity of HEU is so low, it's tough to detect it from outside a weapon, and a shipping container and some packing just about stops it completely. It's mostly alpha with a bit of low level gamma.

If the baggie was tight, and the guy didn't inhale any of the radon or get it on his hands, he's in no danger at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Hey I agree,
But its all a matter of perspective isnt it.
911, 7/7 all that.
We are yet to see proof, we are being told.

But then again, if Its ok to label them haneous monsters because of there acts, and to retaliate as nessecary..

why are they in the wrong for labeling us as such in Iraq, and retaliating?

Double standards

yeah, but then again, most westerners werent huddled in caves waging a "holy war" because they werent permitted by the ruler of saudi arabia to fight off the Iraqis either.

remember, this whole situation started becasue of one man in a cave with a hurt ego.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
nevermind, i dont care

[edit on 25-1-2007 by nextguyinline]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
There is also an ATSNN article on this, btw:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join