It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Man Caught Trying to Sell Weapons Grade Uranium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Georgian authorities have foiled an attempt by a Russian citizen to sell weapons grade uranium, 1 million for 100 grams (3.5 oz ) of enriched weapons grade uranium, it is unclear where the uranium came from.

edition.cnn.com
Georgian special services have foiled an attempt by a Russian citizen to sell weapons-grade uranium for $1 million in the Georgian capital, a senior Interior Ministry official said on Thursday.

The official said Oleg Khintsagov, a resident of Russia's North Ossetia region, was arrested in early 2006 and a closed court soon after convicted him to 8 1/2 years in prison.

Khintsagov was detained as he tried to sell uranium-235 to an undercover Georgian agent posing as a member of a radical Islamic group, said Shota Utiashvili, who heads the ministry's information and analytical department.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

what is particularly disturbing about this is the fact that they don't know where the uranium came from, who's to say that more uranium has not already been sold to terrorist organizations already. The CIA also had a hand in the sting operation which could suggest that things are not as "out of hand" as they appear.

Related News Links:
www.rferl.org

[edit on 25-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
They could have done a dirty bomb with it... Not a nuke... And i'm not even sure about a dirty bomb. And this kind of thing reminds me of the operation able danger... you remember?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I heard about this last night. Whats really disturbing is that this guy had 4 ounces of weapons grade uranium. Something tells me that weapons grade uranium isn't produced and stored in small, 4 ounce batches. He clearly has a tiny portion of a much larger, unknown, uncontrolled, and untraceable weapons grade material.

And something else tells me that this guy wasn't the ONLY person able to purchase it. He didn't even appear to be ready for the delivery. He packed it in plastic bags, and apparently had it wrapped up in a leather jacket at the time he was caught. That kind of stupidy seems to indicate the he is a low level fool. If a low level fool can get 4 ounces, what can sophisticated terrorists, of any ideology, accomplish???

This page might start proving helpful:
What to do if a nuclear disaster is imminent

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This is really not that big of a deal.

But it will be made into a big deal
Someone will spin it into a connection with Iran
And bla bla bla.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awake and All Seeing
And bla bla bla.

That's the first thing I thought of also. Interesting to see where this will lead.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   

This is really not that big of a deal.

But it will be made into a big deal
And bla bla bla.

Exactly how is the apparent ability to buy and sell weapons grade uranium on the black market not a big deal? What would it take for it to become a big deal - a dirty bomb explosion or even a mushroom cloud nearby?

There are people (not just iran) in the world that should not have access to this stuff, but that isn't stopping them from trying all day, every day to get it.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I heard about this last night. Whats really disturbing is that this guy had 4 ounces of weapons grade uranium. Something tells me that weapons grade uranium isn't produced and stored in small, 4 ounce batches. He clearly has a tiny portion of a much larger, unknown, uncontrolled, and untraceable weapons grade material.

This page might start proving helpful:
What to do if a nuclear disaster is imminent

I heard on a news report this morning that this guy normally sells fish and sausages at this particular market, apparently he decided to move up and try his hand at weapons grade uranium, he told the under cover officer that he could get up to 4 kilograms more.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Lets also remember that this guy is a russian citizen living in georgia, and that the russians have a habit of trying to control their former soviet republics, and that during all this, there is the seperatist movement inside of Ossetia.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Lets also remember that this guy is a russian citizen living in georgia, and that the russians have a habit of trying to control their former soviet republics, and that during all this, there is the seperatist movement inside of Ossetia.

one report this morning noted that tensions between russia and georgia are rising, one thought that i had was that maybe georgia is tring to expose the fact that russia is trying to arm terrorist they know will attack U.S. targets in any event the fact that the CIA and FBI were both part of this has made it seem that there is more to the story.

See how to survive a high yeild nuclear detonation here;

www.abovetopsecret.com...'" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">http...://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread264175/pg1'

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Helmutt had created a really informative article about the tensions in Georgia a while ago, and he's been updating it throughout, so its a good resource for anyone interested:
Abkhaz Leader Has Ordered Army To Sink Any Georgian Ships In Its Waters

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
They could have done a dirty bomb with it... Not a nuke... And i'm not even sure about a dirty bomb. And this kind of thing reminds me of the operation able danger... you remember?

It's not even particularly useful as a radiological bomb. The uranium is chemically toxic if inhaled, but after it's settled it will just raise the radon level some. If you want dirty bomb, you want americium or cesium. Maybe cobalt.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
They showed pictures of the uranium on Fox news and the stuff was in a zip lock baggie someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that dangerous.

It was in like a little sandwich baggie stuffed in your pocket wouldn't radiation come through the bag and poison the carrier.

Or at least make sick, just a thought.............

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Sentinel, I think that that shows the real danger here. A stupid goofball who stuck radioactive bomb material into plastic baggies was able to get the stuff in the first place. Who ELSE has been able to get it, and HOW MUCH have they been able to get?

People probably wouldn't use this stuff as material for a dirty bomb, its already weapon grade. If they wanted a dirty bomb, they would get other, easier, less monitored materials for that.

The bomb that destroyed Hiroshima used 64 kg of uranium, according to the wikipedia, and only 600 milligrams of that actually were converted into explosive energy, and the core of the bomb that nuked nagasaki had 6.2kg of material (but this was the plutonium 'pit', per wikipedia).

Not trying to say that it'd be easy to make a nuke, but think about it, someone could bring these packets in, 8 ounces at a time, and slowly build up enough to produce a tremendous explosion, they don't need to build a bomb, they can make something like 'the gadget' from the trinity test inside of a warehouse or other building.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Actually from what I've read, the highly enriched uranium would not be dangerous to carry around in plastic baggies like this. It's not highly radioactive on its own in small quantities.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Exactly how is the apparent ability to buy and sell weapons grade uranium on the black market not a big deal? What would it take for it to become a big deal - a dirty bomb explosion or even a mushroom cloud nearby?

There are people (not just iran) in the world that should not have access to this stuff, but that isn't stopping them from trying all day, every day to get it.

Oh, that he is able to steal and sell, or buy and sell is a BIG deal.

The amount was not a big deal. 100grams is incredibly difficult to turn into a nuclear weapon that will reach critical mass. And if it was we are talking an epicenter of

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The amount was not a big deal. 100grams is incredibly difficult to turn into a nuclear weapon that will reach critical mass. And if it was we are talking an epicenter of

top topics

join