It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Soon To Have The Largest On Line Population Along With The Largest Censorship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
China could over take the U.S. as the country with the most Internet users within about two years. Chinas government released figures showing there Internet population has increased to one hundred thirty-seven million, a twenty-three percent increase over last year. The estaminet might be bullish but there is a large rise in Internet use, despite the forceful censorship of the web content. Many web sites are blocked and local new outlets closed down with little notice. Many have been jailed for posting political essays on line. China is aware that the Internet is a powerful tool for shaping public opinion and encourages its use.

freeinternetpress.com
The China Daily admitted that the two-year estimate for overtaking the U.S. was "bullish", citing a recent report by JP Morgan which forecast that China's internet population would reach 190 million by 2010. There is little doubt that the country is experiencing a breathtaking rise in internet usage, despite Beijing's forceful censorship of web content. The state often blocks foreign websites and closes down local news outlets with little notice. Dozens of people have been jailed for posting political essays online.

Beijing is aware that the internet is a powerful tool in shaping public opinion and encourages web use for education and business, saying its aim is to only block material the authorities consider subversive or obscene.

Last month Wikipedia, the popular online encyclopedia with content shaped by contributors, found itself at the center of a war of words over Chairman Mao. Its English version says the Communist party leader was the founder of modern-day China but also a man whom many saw as "a mass murderer, holding his leadership accountable for the deaths of tens of millions of innocent Chinese".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

China has something around one billion three hundred million people. There is no doubt that Chine will over take the U.S. by several fold eventually. But that is not the issue hear. Saying China's censorship is forceful is an understatement. There data mining for the purpose of blocking web sites is very effective. What all this means is that the country with the largest Internet population will be getting only the information there government wants them to see. They will not have the opportunity to get a balanced report on what is happening in the world. I would say that any one who is reading this will have the opportunity to look for reports with other ideas or other spins on the issue, but that cannot happen in China. I saw on a television news report a few nights ago that people in Irac have INTERNET acess and they seem to have a fair understanding of what life is like out side of there country. But the same cannot be said for the country with soon to be the largest population using the most powerful tool for shaping public opinion.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.t heage.com.au
news.com.com
news.zdnet.com

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Thats interesting, it would mean that the bulk of the internet is censored and controlled by a totalitarian government.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm gonna get bash for this... but anyway.

I would say that censoring internet is the same thing as those who only listen to Fox News who is pro-government, pro-war, pro-lies.

And at least the Internet reform didn't pass the congress because it would have undermine the liberty on internet.

Remember that, if China can censure internet, the US can do it.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Forcing people is completely different from FOX news. Even if we accept, for the sake of arguement, that FOX is equally, or even more, censored than the internet in china, its irrelevant, because people aren't forced to watch FOX. They don't get arrested and killed if they don't watch FOX.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
People aren't force to go on internet. But you're right, people don't get killed if they don't listen to Fox. But I was talking about censorship. Fox censor the real stories, spin it to fit their propaganda, so it's censorship of reality.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
You can actually say the same thing you are claming Vitchilo from "liberal" news services...they are very biased and many of their stories have been outright anti-U.S., even before this administration...

CNN international was an idea made by fidel castro to the owner of CNN, that's how biased CNN is...they have taken advice from a "real dictator" who is opressing people in manners you can't never understand, and the news network is shaping the news over the globe.

And please don't talk about "censorship of reality" when most of your claims have been outright false in the past.

As an example, this thread is about China's censorship....yet you managed to derail the topic and now claim that "according to you" it is as bad or worse in the U.S., even if you dind't say it, but derailing the thread and blaming news agencies in the U.S. which give stories you don't agree with, you are in fact stating indirectly that it is worse in the U.S. when it is not....

Staying on topic would have actually showed less bias rather than as you, and other members keep trying to do, you try to derail the thread and every other thread to bash away at the U.S., when the topic is not the United States.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by Muaddib]

df1

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The internet will ultimately result in a reduction of censorship in China, because the hacker mentality that spans the internet will get more information through despite the actions and desires of the Chinese government. More previously forbidden information is reaching the people of China than ever before and this will continue to increase.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Well it is only natural that Chinese internet users surpass the US considering their population is almost 5 times that of the US.

Plus it would open the doors for some Western values to come in, which is already happening to China. Hopefully they don't get all of our Occidental values though! haha.

I say good for China.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Interesting
I am a Chinese, and live in Beijing,
you always talk about censorship again and again,
seems all Chinese netizens ere blocked from outside
censorship? yes, but slight.
ordinary Chinese netizens feel little restriction while access to internet.
the restriction in China is much less then in some so called democratic
nation, like Singapore.
I believe people like you have never been to China, right?
Your westen style of bias is based on arrogant and superiority complex
you are brainwashed by your media.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
The internet will ultimately result in a reduction of censorship in China, because the hacker mentality that spans the internet will get more information through despite the actions and desires of the Chinese government.

I think I can understand what you mean by the hacker mentality. At this point however I think the government is doing a lot better job then you are giving them credit for. Might you have any links or evidence that shows how or what information is getting to china that the government is trying to block?
Thus far I just have not seen any one from China to say if that is or is not happening.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
gs001, if you are less than 18 year old can you tell me what you know, or what you were taught about the 1989 Tiananmen Square incident and what happens when you type that phrase into Google China? Thanks.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I'm gonna get bash for this... but anyway.

Here you go. If you knew ahead of time, why post something like this?

I would say that censoring internet is the same thing as those who only listen to Fox News who is pro-government, pro-war, pro-lies.

No, totally different. Censorship is forced on you. Watching a particular news channel is a choice of one out of many.

Remember that, if China can censure internet, the US can do it.

First, the word is "censor", not "censure". Two totally different meanings.

Second, it is an attempted deflection to say the U.S. could also do it, when nothing of the sort has been proposed, or is even remotely likely. Any country could censor their part of the internet.

So, your point boils down to what?

China IS censoring the internet.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gs001
Interesting
I am a Chinese, and live in Beijing,
you always talk about censorship again and again,
seems all Chinese netizens ere blocked from outside
censorship? yes, but slight.

Gs,
Thanks so much for posting your thoughts, and it is nice to know that ATS is not one of the sites that has been censored.
So is it correct to say that in general the Chinese people don't feel they have the wealth of information being censored from them?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Well it is only natural that Chinese internet users surpass the US considering their population is almost 5 times that of the US.

Plus it would open the doors for some Western values to come in, which is already happening to China. Hopefully they don't get all of our Occidental values though! haha.

I say good for China.

The funny thing about this to me is that from looking at all the internet ads the chinese could finally find out what all those incomprehensible (to them) plastic things they make for us are used for.

That our pets have more and better toys than their children do.

[edit on 1/25/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I find this thread encouraging because it shows just how rapidly the internet is growing all around the world. The more it grows, the harder it will be to censor it.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
The internet will ultimately result in a reduction of censorship in China, because the hacker mentality that spans the internet will get more information through despite the actions and desires of the Chinese government. More previously forbidden information is reaching the people of China than ever before and this will continue to increase.

How is that true if about two weeks ago there was an article about the Chinese government puting a stop even to foreigners, and their own people from accessing Chinese weather reports?...

Weather reports are now Top Secret in China, which means it is even illegal for the regular Chinese people from accessing the information.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Censorship in China is not decreasing, it is increasing.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
So that's why they blew up that old weather satellite--they didn't want it sending out top secret information anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
gs001, if you are less than 18 year old can you tell me what you know, or what you were taught about the 1989 Tiananmen Square incident and what happens when you type that phrase into Google China? Thanks.

I myself participated in 1989 Tiananmen Square incident.
At that time, As a student I fighted for freedom and democracy
in company with millions Beijing citizen.
even now, I believe we are right!
Of course, communists are trying to let Chinese people forget about
that incident, so they block anything about that incident on internet.
But that not mean we Chinese netizen live in hell and can do nothing.
westen media badly aggrandize the restriction.
I know people like you were seriously influenced by you media
So it is too hard to convince you what China like today.
the best way to know the truth is to be here and see by your own eyes.

df1

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
How is that true...

It is true because the internet provides portals for potential information breaches. Before China had internet those portals did not exist. As internet use grows in China more portals will be established with more opportunities for information to leak through. As Chinese internet expands the people using it will become increasing more sophisticated and will adapt to end run the censor to get what they want.

Weather reports are now Top Secret in China, which means it is even illegal for the regular Chinese people from accessing the information.

As I recall secret info leaked out of the white house despite it being illegal for regular American people to access it. Ask "scooter", he'll tell you all about it.

Censorship in China is not decreasing, it is increasing.

Attempts to censor are increasing, successfuling censoring information is decreasing.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Something always puzzles me,
when our people go to your country, we don't feel any surprise about what we see
but westen people come to China, they always find what they see is quite different
from what they learn from their media about China.
how to explain that?
which media is more bias?
Chinese media or westen media?
unfortunately, there are not so many Chinese netizen speak english,
So you seldom hear the voice from China.
but we do have some english forum
like that--
have a try

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join