It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The one commandment you forgot.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
...was the one commandment that reads 'remember'.

WHy did Christians forget number five?

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy"

If you look on any calender you will find that Saturday (Sabbathday) is the seventh day of the week.
If you study Judaism you will find that Jews worship on Saturday.

My question to the Christians here is; Why do you not obey God?
If the sabbath day wasnt important then why would God put it in the ten commandments?
If sunday is as good as saturday then why didnt God say "Pick any day and keep it holy"?

It seems like God knew the Christians would forget, thats why he said "REMEMBER".

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Romans 14:5 (New International Version)

One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

I think this is where the Christian gets there idea that the sabbath does not have to be any particular day.
And plus there are numerous Christian groups that observe the Saturday Sabbath... the first one that comes to mind is the 7th day Adventis, I am sure there are others.

[edit on 24-1-2007 by drconfused]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by drconfused
Romans 14:5 (New International Version)

One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

I think this is where the Christian gets there idea that the sabbath does not have to be any particular day.

But the ten commandments, which is the only thing that I know of in the Bible that was supposedly written by the finger of God himself, clearly state "REMEMBER the sabbath to keep it holy".
If my memory serves me correctly the main reason that God became upset with Cain is because Cain didnt bring his best for the sacrifice.
Its not that Cain didnt worship, its that Cain didnt worship exactly as God had instructed.
Isnt that the same thing with the sabbath?
Its not that Christians dont worship, its that they dont worship on the day that God commanded.

And plus there are numerous Christian groups that observe the Saturday Sabbath... the first one that comes to mind is the 7th day Adventis, I am sure there are others.

[edit on 24-1-2007 by drconfused]

7th day adventis yes, but who else?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The way I see it:

The OT was written for the Jews. Especially those first five books. I think that the ten commandments was intended for the Jews, and maybe only the Jewish people who were actually with Moses at the time.

I haven't seen anything that says Christians are bound by the ten commandments. In the NT didn't Jesus state that the law could be fulfilled by simply loving one's neighbor? Didn't Jesus work on the Sabbath?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
The way I see it:

The OT was written for the Jews. Especially those first five books. I think that the ten commandments was intended for the Jews, and maybe only the Jewish people who were actually with Moses at the time.

The Ten Commandmenst is about the only thing from the Old Testament that I deem worthy of consideration.. I think if the world lived by what the Ten commandments state... there would'nt be a quarter of the problems the world faces today. Whether the sabbath is on Saturday or Sunday, I haven't a clue.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
My understanding is that commandment is OT and from the other side of the cross.

On this side of the cross we are blessed with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. That is the change brought about by Christ's willing sacrifice of Himself for our sins.

Matthew 12 addresses this point better than I ever could.

Matthew 12:7-8

But if ye had known what this meaneth, I WILL HAVE MERCY, AND NOT SACRIFICE, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

The sabbath is Saturday. Sunday is the first day of the week.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Here's my two cents:

I think Christians don't keep the sabbath in the same way the Jews do mainly because Jesus himself didn't always keep the sabbath. I don't know the exact scriptural reference numbers but in (i believe) all four of the gospels there is the story of Jesus and the apostles walking through a field of grain on the sabbath. Being hungry from their travels, Jesus and the apostles began to pick the grain and eat it.

According to Jewish law this was illegal, since picking the grain was considered doing work. The religious leaders tried to trap Jesus by saying He and His disciples were breaking the law of the Sabbath. In typical fashion, Jesus easily rebukes them and sends the leaders packing.

I'll have to check to make sure, as I don't have my bible on me right now, but I think Jesus's answer was about how David entered the temple and ate the "show bread" even on the sabbath.

Basically, Jesus said "If we're hungry, why should we not eat?"

Jesus was also known to heal and preach on the sabbath, both were forbidden under Jewish law.

Also, Jesus told us that the most important commandment is to love the Lord with all your heart and soul. The second most important is to honor your father and mother.

As Christians, we follow the teachings of Jesus over any other rules or laws. The Old Testament is generally geared towards the Jews and describes the Old Covenant. Jesus came and brought us the new Covenant. We follow the new over the old.

There was a great many things Jesus did and said that contradicted or negated Jewish law, which is why He was crucified.

I hope this helped answer your question.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
here's how i see it from a christian theoligical perspective (yes, i'm thinking from that perspective for a fleeting moment)

"jesus" didn't tell people to not honor the sabbath
"jesus" simply told people that they shouldn't take the command to the extreme and punish for doing something that could be construed as "working"

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux

There was a great many things Jesus did and said that contradicted or negated Jewish law, which is why He was crucified.

How very,very true. Many Christians do not understand this.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Lord Christ was asked what great commandments He had brought from God. He said, “Love thy Father God with all your soul, with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your strength,” and the second commandment: “Love your neigbor as yourself and love your enemies.” He explained that on these two commandments hang the teachings of all the law and prophets. This is the way of love, which is the true religion.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Jews reject the inspiration of the New Testament, claiming we should still follow the Law of Moses. They believe God intended the Old Law to be binding for all time, never to be removed and replaced by the New Testament.

A. Evidence for the Temporary Nature of the Old Testament
Old Testament evidence that God intended to remove and replace it.

Jeremiah 31:31-34 - In the Old Testament itself, God promised to make a new covenant not according to the one given at Mt. Sinai. Hebrews 8:7-13 quotes Jeremiah, claiming it was fulfilled when the New Testament of Jesus replaced the law given at Sinai (cf. 10:15-17).

Psalm 110:4; Zechariah 6:12,13 - Christ was prophesied to be a priest after the order of Melchizedek. Under the Law of Moses, priests had to be of the tribe of Levi, but the Christ was also prophesied to be a descendant of David of the tribe of Judah (2 Sam. 7:14f; cf. Matt. 22:42).

Hence, if the Christ would be a priest, yet of the tribe of Judah, God must have intended all along to change the Law of Moses. This is argued in Heb. 7:11-18. (Note: If the Levitical priesthood was adequate to meet the needs of man, why did God promise a different priest?) [Cf. Hag. 2:6 to Heb. 12:26-28]

These Old Testament passages show that God never intended the Laws of Moses to be permanent. He said all along that they would someday be replaced by a different system.
New Testament statements about the replacement of the Old Testament

Since Jews do not accept the authority of New Testament teachings, we will first show what the New Testament claims. Then we will present evidence to validate those claims.

Hebrews 10:9,10 - Hebrews gives a detailed comparison between the Old Testament ("first will") and the New Testament ("second will"). It claims that God sent Jesus to "take away" the first and "establish" the second. It then shows the benefits of the New Testament and why we should accept it as the replacement of the Old.

Romans 3:20 - Why then did God gave the Old Testament? It was given, not to justify men, but to give men the knowledge of sin. It showed that "all have sinned" (v23). This is proved by numerous quotes from the Old Law itself (v9-18).

Galatians 3:22-29 - The law gave regulations showing people were sinners, but it had no means to forgive sins permanently (Hebrews 10:3,4). It proved that all are sinners, confined under the guilt of sin, so all need forgiveness. This should lead people to accept a system of real forgiveness when it came. Hence, the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ.

This forgiveness is offered by Jesus' death on the cross through the teachings of the gospel (New Testament). Since this system of faith has now come, we are no longer under the schoolmaster (Old Law). By accepting the New Testament, Jews are inheriting the blessing God promised to Abraham's descendants.

These are the claims of the New Testament. Now consider:

[Cf. Rom. 7:1-7; Eph. 2:11-19; Col. 2:14-17; 2 Cor. 3:7-11.]

www.biblestudylessons.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
[edit on 25-1-2007 by Funkydung]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I didn't forget any of them--I ignore all of them equally lest I be accused of political incorrectness or bias.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Seems as though this is another unsolvable puzzle for if you believe the basic teachings of Christianity, you believe that the coming of the Christian Jesus as a divine being held the authority to serve as a bringer of a new set of laws from G-d that replaced the old set - therefore, you are not breaking any commandments or any of G-d's laws to pick whatever day suits you best and declare it to be your new Sabbath Day (and to keep people in Georgia from buying beer and wine on that day). ;-)

If you don't believe all that stuff about the divinity of Jesus and the New Covenant stuff then, you must see Christianity as heretical and blasphemous. (sp)

All that interpretation of the OT prophecies is equal dependant upon whether one accepts that the Christian Jesus was the ONE that was prophecied...another part of the circle of interpretations colored by belief rather than any verifiable facts. I could probably open any bible to any page and use any scripture to predict the outcome of the next Super Bowl. I wouldn't convince everyone but I could convince quite a few. It's an ancient text of which we have no verifiably accurate copies in the original language and then, of course, we translate it to English and start trying to find hidden and sacred meanings in certain words (which are not even the original words).

So, just another part of the larger conflict of which we will probably not see escape in our lifetimes. And the wheel goes 'round....

I don't mean that this is not worthy of discussion - just that there is no way to build an irrefutable argument and it's not particularly easy to build even the weakest case without predicating it on whether or not the Christian Jesus was truly divine. Fun, literally, without end. ;-)

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I think all of you have great answers...love IS law...and the commandment (from Moshe) was 'remember' not 'keep.'

Mary Magdalene kept the Sabbath - that first one spent alone in the dark, heartbroken...and because of that one she never forgot.

But all that is behind us now. So let's just love one another as they love us.

top topics

join