It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Drawing - Gazrok, friend's Grandfather

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I don't have this one added to my gallery yet, just finished it around Christmas time, in time to give to a friend.

It's a pencil drawing from an old photo of his grandfather. He was very close to his grandfather, and had a lot of respect for him. The grandfather passed away last year, so I thought it would be a great Christmas present (made the guy cry actually....mixed emotions there, but glad he liked it)...

His mom then passed away about a week before our gift exchange...so of course, it gave even more meaning (guess I have to do one of mom now soon...) He has my utmost condolences, of course. She was in bad health, but I know I'll take it hard when my mother passes...(still a ways off, I hope).

I hope to get some more posted soon....

EDIT: Since it's been a while, for those wanting to know the tools, a variety of artist pencils ranging from HB, 2B, 4B, 6B and Ebony pencils, on Strathmore Bristol Board (Vellum). Personally, I think this is one of my best ones, so I'm glad I'm getting better vs. worse at this, lol!

[edit on 24-1-2007 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Not much to say, other than that is a simply beautiful rendering!

You're very talented..
Me, I can barely draw a bath..

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
You have some serious talent. I've always been amazed with the ability for a man or woman to take a pencil, paper and then create an amazing piece of work.

Very thoughtful and respectful.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
That's really impressive.

Seriously, well done. The texture on cloth is hard to realize, it's so easy to go overboard, but you've brought a great deal of realism to the textures.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

It's a pencil drawing from an old photo of his grandfather.

Even if in the old photo his grandfather was the spitting image of ET its an excellent drawing,though your eye sight would be in question.

Top job Gazrok,i`m sure your friend will cherish it.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
That's freakin' amazing Gaz! How do you keep from smudging it up? Do you use one of those bags that draftsmen use or what?

Peace

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
wow what an amazing drawing!

And im sure he cryed what a lovley keepsake for him now,

Im sure this will be something he treasure for the rest of his life,

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
What an absoultly wonderfull present!

You have some serious tallent there my friend!

I'm glad he liked it

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Thanks all!

That's freakin' amazing Gaz! How do you keep from smudging it up? Do you use one of those bags that draftsmen use or what?

Great question! Actually, I smudge it up quite a bit... The trick is using a real rubber, kneaded eraser (available at most craft stores). It actually lifts the lead from the paper, instead of destroying the paper. It does a wonderful job of cleanup when you smudge... Also, you can use the smudging technique to your benefit. (that's how you get good fabric texture for instance)...

It also helps to almost completely finish a section and move in the direction of your drawing hand. For example, I started in the lower left corner, and worked out from that....working right.

Oh yeah, to get a size idea, it's 8"x10". I draw it that size so it's always easy to get a premade frame and not have to go the custom framing route...(did that for some of my early drawings and wasn't crazy about spending $100 or more for a frickin' frame!)

[edit on 25-1-2007 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Gaz,

You never cease to amaze me with your artwork. I was looking in some old threads and saw some of your other drawings.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Check the link in my sig, to go to my gallery..

Has some of my high school work, and some different mediums, such as painting, sculpture, etc. There's more I need to get digital pics of, before I can post though.

I've actually got a lot of painting supplies from last Christmas, just never got around to trying my hand at that again... I want to try and do a Baroque-style royalty painting of myself and my wife, but we'll see. We did some retakes of wedding photos, and they should provide a good basis...

new topics

top topics

join