It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

headed to Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hello everyone. I'm headed to Australia in June for the remainder of my undergraduate study. I will be studying at Murdoch University in Perth. I am just wondering if anyone on here is from this area, or has traveled there at one time or another. If you want, send u2u. Hope to hear some great stories!

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Yep Perth here.

What would you like to know and i`ll see if i can help.

Not sure where your coming from,but if you are coming in June thats our winter,no snow here but bring warm clothes.

I`ve lived here some 40 odd years so i should be able to help a bit.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Oh awesome, someone from Perth. Well, I'm coming from the states (MA) and have traveled quite a bit, but never to australia. Everyone keeps telling me that i'm going to the 'good' or the 'real' australia because it is Southwest? I suppose they mean the less Americanized Australia? Are you familiar with the university? We will be living in apartment style housing within the city, but again, not quite sure what that means, as i've never been to the country. No snow, but warm clothes.... so 40's? 50s? I am sure that when I have my orientation in the spring, they will go over all of this, but I'm pretty excited, so trying to get a jump on things. Thanks so much!

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It's been a long time since I've been to Perth, but make sure you check out

Scarborough Beach

Awsome part of the world.

Thinking about it makes me want to move there.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by powertopeaceful
Everyone keeps telling me that i'm going to the 'good' or the 'real' australia because it is Southwest?

Not sure if our friends from the Eastern States would agree with that.

Its all "real Australia" though.Some parts are lush and lots of bush and plenty of desert.So it depends on where you go.

I suppose they mean the less Americanized Australia?

Interesting comment? I would hate to think Australia is Americanized.
But because we get a lot of your TV i guess it could be to a degree,monkey see monkey do.

Are you familiar with the university?

I have been there once,its about an hour from where we are.

We will be living in apartment style housing within the city, but again, not quite sure what that means,

Think along the lines of Jerry Seinfeld's apartment (flat)would be my guess as to what to expect.Not my cup of tea though.

as i've never been to the country.

Well depending on how much spare time you have,i can certainly suggest sight seeing spots,as i said though depends on how much free time you find.

No snow, but warm clothes.... so 40's? 50s?

Ummmm Celsius here so in Fahrenheit i`d say approx between 60-70 max and approx 40min ,today (summer now) around 105,min over night about 60-70.

I am sure that when I have my orientation in the spring, they will go over all of this, but I'm pretty excited, so trying to get a jump on things. Thanks so much!

Your welcome a little local knowledge is always good.

Madhatter

Scarborough is a popular beach,but there are excellent beach`s up and down the coast,if you like that type of thing,i know i do.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
madhatter... thank so much for the link. I can't wait until I'm all setteled in and have the chance for the more interesting aspect of traveling abroad!.. gps, how safe is perth? You are currently living there now? I am not sure if you have been to the US, but I was wondering if it could be compared to a city over here. As far as aesthetics go... is it very urban? (tall buildings etc)

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by powertopeaceful
gps, how safe is perth? You are currently living there now?

Yes i`ve been here some 40 odd years

Saftey in Perth would be good as you may know it,however it has gotten worse since i was young,the trains at night i hear aren`t very safe,yet they are putting more security guards on them.

During the day its nearly perfectly safe and you will have nothing to worry about other than maybe understanding our phrases or accent,at night if you go to Northbridge where the clubs are you may see some trouble you may not,but highly unlikely you would be involved in it.

Not sure if your male or female but if female its always best at night to be with others imo.

I am not sure if you have been to the US, but I was wondering if it could be compared to a city over here.

No sorry,i`ll have to ask you that question when your finished with your trip.

As far as aesthetics go... is it very urban? (tall buildings etc)

Perth is,well see for yourself here

The pic is taken from the other side of the Swan River,you can get a cheap ferry from the city,which leaves from the middle of that pic to this side,where a bit of a walk you`ll find the Zoo and check out our animals.

I was just trying to add a link from google earth,but i cant seem to figure out how,and show you the Uni.

OH! I just noticed there is a link to your Uni down the bottom of the page under education with some pics.

[edit on 27-1-2007 by gps777]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Ahh Murdoch,
South ST ?
Pitty the trains not here, woulda been very convenient.
I live in Perth City, in a apartment too.

Perths great, limited at times but definately fun.

Compared to the US, well Ive been to LA and Orlando/Miami, and to be 100% honest,I did feel safer in your cities at night.

Well, walking through the city at night on your own, your ok, so long as other people are out.
During the day your fine, no problems what so ever.

But after hours a fair few un-social people hang around the city centre 'mainly near the 24hr maccas'
The train station has been the site of a few group bashing as of late...
but there are a few more coppers n stuff strolling about.

If I had a choice Id live in Mandurah again. Thats definately the number 1 place to live in WA.

As for tall buildings, I have some photos of PERTH on myspace for ya to check out. We dont have many, and Perth as a city is minor comapred to some US cities.

www.myspace.com...

[edit on 11-2-2007 by Agit8dChop]

new topics

top topics

join