It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddler Booted From Plane

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

blogs.families.com..." border=0>

Parents speak after getting kicked off flight

A Massachusetts couple is speaking out about their horrible experience at Southwest Florida International Airport. Officials with AirTran kicked the family of three off a flight when their little girl threw a fit and refused to take her seat.

AirTran officials say they were following federal regulations. But the couple, Gerry and Julie Kulesza, says they were treated unfairly

More...

If you haven't heard about this story by now, you will shortly... It seems to be spreading across the blogosphere like wildfire.

Honestly, after reading several accounts of the incident, I'm conflicted about the whole affair.

But what really caught my attention was the INTENSE reaction this story has provoked. I won't post any links to other blogs (they are easy enough to find), but I am absolutely horrified by many of the comments I have read.

What do you think?

Here's what AirTran had to say:

blogs.families.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">AirTran: Public Supports Removal Of Child

AirTran Airways said Wednesday that it is receiving overwhelming support from the public for bumping a screaming toddler from a Florida flight.

Airline spokesman Tad Hutcheson said the company's getting swamped with e-mails and phone calls, and 92 percent support the decision to get the tantrum-raising toddler off the plane.

More...

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I just read the news article (NBC) and it does not say whether or not the parents tried to calm the child. If they did not and the little darling just kept crying and annoying everyone then I say "Yeah...the comfort of the other passengers is more important, so the family should get off"

3 year olds are capable of understanding when they are asked to please be quiet and stop crying. I have 3 sons (youngest now 20) and we raised them to understand that other people do not want to listen their tantrums and carry on. I am not a perfect parent but I always had reasonable control of my children and they all have very good manners.

I hate bratz in the supermarket 'turning it on' and over the years have become quite vocal about unrulely children and ineffective parents who have no control. If I was on a plane with no escape from the catawalling, I would not be very happy and would make a complaint and then ask the parents why they think other passengers have to put up with the bad behaviour.

I think the parents may need some training to show the little girl who is actually running the show...
Need to set ground rules with children.

I noticed that the article mentioned medicines ? Even if they child is sickly does not mean she can be a whinging brat. Is she a only child and the apple of daddy's eye ? Are they older parents ?

[edit on 24-1-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I posted this story in Chisslers to spank or not to spank thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The parents claimed they were not given enough of a chance to quiet down the kid. I personally believe a swat to the behind was in order..But, if the parents had never done it before, it might have made matters worse.

I really bugs me that parents have problems controlling such a little human.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
she deserves to be thrown off and it shouldnt be a big deal.... i just hope they wont sure or something making the airlines pay.......

PEOPLE ARE ANNOYING

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I saw the report on T.V. last nite.

They interviewed the mother who gave her side of the story; then afterwards reporters talked on the phone with a representative from the airline.

The representative mentioned that they would re-imburse the family for any misgivings plus give the family (freebie tickets?). Also the airline stuck to their guns in claiming that they(airlines) were 'in the right'.

The distraught mother declined the offer for the free tickets and said that she wouldn't ever EVER take a plane ride with that particular airline again.

IMO, if you are leary about HOW your children are going to behave in an inclosed space with plenty of people for any amount of time, taking a plane ride to test that theory out just isn't feasible.

Be prepared for the unexpected though; if your child has a problem with pressure on the eardrums, or has motion sickness or claustrophobia, TRY to quell these situations ahead of time before things get seriously out of hand.

If you are toting along children who are used to having their way, and pull tantrums, then EXPECT bad looks or remarks from other people.

There's an ol' saying: "The tail doesn't wag the dog".

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I wrote the airline. I think the flight crew should be promoted for kicking the brat off the plane.

The kid went as far as hitting her mother several times, in addition to not following her parent's directives. No one pays hundreds for a flight to watch and listen to that kind of crap.

I'm sick and tired of children dictating how adults will live.

Go AirTran.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I don't think the airline should have offered anything to the parents. If they can't control their child so as to not pose a safety and comfort threat to other passengers, they have no right to bring her on the plane.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
If they can't control their child so as to not pose a safety and comfort threat to other passengers, they have no right to bring her on the plane.

That pretty much sums it up. The airlines owe the family nothing. The child is three and therefore can't sit in the mothers lap (age 2 is the cut off for lap children on a plane). If the child can't settle down and buckle in, and is violent towards it's own mother who can't restrain it, then the kid gets the boot.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The airline did the right thing. The little kid was a brat, the parents incompetant, and they were collectively pissing off all of the other passangers and crew. The comfort of 3 people shouldn't superceede the comfort of 115 other people paying for something as expensive as a plane ticket.

The airline acted withing FAA regulations.

Did anybody see the interview with the mother afterwards? The kid is uncontrollable even then, climbing all over the mom like a rhesus monkey with a crack addiction looking for hidden pockets on the villager to get at the crack or whatever. Doing the interview with the news helped hammer the incedent home in regards to how annoying and out of control the kid is.

And I don't want to hear any crap about 'they never gave us enough time to calm the kid' the family would have taken an indefinant amount of time to "calm" the brat. The other people on the plane have meetings to go to and scheduels to keep, the Airport traffic has a scheduel to keep, the airline has a scheduel to keep, etc...You can't incovinience 115 other people because your kid is a brat.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm amazed that there is any opposition to this. These parents couldnt' get their little bastard to sit down so the plane could take off, and because of it they were thrown off the plane. Too bad for them. These parents even actually said that they 'didn't get to comfort and explain to the child' to sit down.

Smack the little brat across the face, put him in the seat, and lock the seat belt so the plane can take off. Yeesh. A take off isn't time for a 'time out' or a heart to heart discussion with a screaming baby.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Can't say I disagree with most people in this thread. Control your damn kid. Give him or her some OTC drugs if you have to.

When I first read the thread title I thought they might have actually booted the kid from the plane while it was in flight.

Peace

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone's used AirTran but the planes are SMALL and cramped, even business class (they have no first class) is cramped. Business class & coach separated by a curtain. I can completely understand the reasoning behind getting them off of the plane.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
As I have posted before on ATS, I was a flight attendant for 6 years. The FAA states that if anyone poses a threat to the well-being of the passengers or plane, they are to be removed and usually they are turned over to federal marshalls. They're lucky the airline didn't do that. In all my flying career, I dealt with hundreds of small children. Such a thing never happened so I have to assume, this kid was completely out of control. It said they had medicines. If they were for the child's cold, well the kid shouldn't have been flying anyway due to the fact the the cabin pressure could burst her eardrums, what with clogged sinuses, etc. Thekid could have attacked other passengers and then the airline would have really had a horrible lawsuit.

The airline offered them 3 FREE business class passes , which they refused. Personally, I think that proves the parent's stupidity right there. They were also reimbursed for their unused plane tickets.The airlines didn't have to do tany of that, but it seems that they were trying everything they could to pacify this family.
I say good for the airline, pilots and flight crew for doing their job. In order to kick someone off the plane like that, the lead flight attendant and the captain of the flight had to have agreed that this kid posed a danger. Apparently, they did, it's not just some snotty flight attendant doing this, but the captain of the airplane as well. Fortunately, most pilots I knew didn't take any BS when it comes to passenger and plane safety.

I'll bet every flight attendant who hears this story is lighting candles in Church to give thanks.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Thanks for your post forest lady. It really helps put this into perspective for all those who sympathize with the family. The family was in the wrong, not the airline.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Finally we see that the majority are presumed to have rights too! Personally, I would have kicked the family off and bought them a bus ticket, but you know, someone is likeley to get sued over this, and the kid will end up better off. God Bless America, land of the free, home of the lawyers.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Perhaps with all the publicity over this Social Services will step in and take the kid away from the parents--since they obviously can't control it--and hand it over to some gay married couple so they can raise it correctly.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Astronomer 70: I LOVE you! That's exactly how I feel.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by djohnsto77
If they can't control their child so as to not pose a safety and comfort threat to other passengers, they have no right to bring her on the plane.

That pretty much sums it up. The airlines owe the family nothing. The child is three and therefore can't sit in the mothers lap (age 2 is the cut off for lap children on a plane). If the child can't settle down and buckle in, and is violent towards it's own mother who can't restrain it, then the kid gets the boot.

Here I am quoting and quoting but I COMPLETELY agree.
I have been on a plane with a sceaming out of theyre mind child and I was crying by the time the plane landed. I complained to the airlines about what a TERRIBLE flight I had to no avail.

I NEVER took my 'to young' child into a movie theater to ruin the show for other folks and I HATE people who do!
They do it all the time though as if they have some 'right' to do this.......why can't I bring a barking dog into the movie then??
I appalaud the airlines for taking into account the MANY other passengers who did not bring a 'caterwalling tot of terror'.........thank heavens somebody cares about the rights of others to not HAVE to be punished for being in the same plane as an out of control tot.

LOVELY sentiment astronomer.........excellant point!

[edit on 25-1-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
Perhaps with all the publicity over this Social Services will step in and take the kid away from the parents--since they obviously can't control it--and hand it over to some gay married couple so they can raise it correctly.

To me that is extremely sick. To those who said to give the kid a swat or hit the child in the face, well those parents would have everyone swarming over them. The airlines would have called social services for so called child abuse. Lay one hand on the kid, and your turned in.

I don't know that family's situatuion, and wonder who the medications belonged to. Does anyone know why the little girl didn't want to go on the flight? Did anyone say why the family was taking the flight?

I would have really hated to see if the family was actually traveling to a specialed children's hosptial for the little girl.

If the kid isn't being treated for anything and is usually unruly, those parents need to change their displicinary actions perferablly from time out to a good spaking, then time out, a good talking to, then chores. The kid has to know there will be conquences.

Heaven help them if the mother is a soical worker herself, already has social services on her back, or just refuses to do more than an ineffictive time out.

I wonder if the kid didn't precieve being made to sit in the airline plane seat as time out. I also wonder how the kid acts in the car.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by Mystery_Lady]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I posted this on BTS the other day, there's no new information on my thread, but if anyone wants to read the comments there, here's the link.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

It suffices to say that I agree with the decision to eject the family.

I'm sick and tired of unruly children and their irresponsible parents. If the kid can't behave in a public place like a plane, or in a theater, or a grocery store, the parent needs to take the kid and leave, and return when the situation is handled.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join