It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusal plane spotted years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Back in around 1989 when i was in the Coast Guard I was aboard my ship or cutter, in the Pacific. I was standing watch on the bridge when i noticed a "UFO" verrrry high up (probably close to 80k feet) in the blue sky. When i viewed the object through our mounted binoculars (big eyes) i noticed that it was actually a type of recon plane but it had rearward swept wings.. when i reported the contact, i told him what it looked like. He checked it out, hed never seen anything like it either but then said, report the contact but not that their is anything unusual about it.
it was very unusual and have never seen another one like it since.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   
HI :

a few questions if you will indulge me ,

Q1) - "it was @ 80k feet "

how do you know it was @ that altitude ?

Q2) " swept wings " - did you have a clear enough view to estimate angle of wing rake ?

also - in the same vein :

could you estimate ratio of wingspan to fuselage lengh ?

could you discern engine configuration and type ?

could you discern tail configuration / sixe

were there contails associate with the craft

the aircraft experts will have a lot better chance of giving you a credible explaination for what type of aircraft it could have been - if you can furnish those answers

Q3 ) - an estimate of airspeed ? , and in the same vien

heading

location - was in following , or avoiding a charted air corridor [ if knpwn ]

manovers - was it flying a dead course ?

thats all i can think off for now

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Sure it wasn't just a SR-71 Blackbird? It was known to of broken both speed and altitude records and its wings are swept back?

www.militaryfactory.com...

[edit on 25-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
Sure it wasn't just a SR-71 Blackbird?

sigh

please credit the OP with some gumption

he speciffically said that both he and a colegue viewed the contact through the big eyes , and neither could ID it

i assumed that by the time they wrote it up in the watch log - both would have thumbed through the recognition guide cards at least once

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It was flying a straight flight path and could see the contrail behind a small white dot without the "bigeyes".
80k feet altitude is an estimate just based on the size that i guessed it would be and how small it looked with and without the bigeyes.
It was definately not a Black Bird, the wings were definately backwards or in the case of an airplane swept forward not like backwards which theyre normaly swept, i typed it wrong in my first post.. so to clarify this again, the wings were angled forward, torward the cockpit, rather than torwards the rear of the plane.
Contacts werent written up or logged, just reported at initial contact and then again to when changing lookouts.
Remember this was 1989 or so and I was only 18 or 19, this was before the internet and we had very little information on things like that compared to todays times. Also, back then I was not as conspiricy minded as I am today so although I thought it was unusual I really did not make a big deal about it.
I just assumed it was a new recon plane for our Govt, that would eventually be made public (10 or so years)
I dont remember its direction, i just know that we were in the Pacific, probably about 250 miles off of the Canadian (BC) or Washington Statecoast, which is where my boat was stationed (210' cutter).
Thats all the information i can give because that is all i could see due to its high altitude and the time that has passed since it occured..
Just an odd plane and have never seen anything else about it, even on the internet, which i find even more strange.

forgive the poor sentence structure, im in a hurry right now.

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
HI :

a few questions if you will indulge me ,

Q1) - "it was @ 80k feet "

how do you know it was @ that altitude ?

Q2) " swept wings " - did you have a clear enough view to estimate angle of wing rake ?

also - in the same vein :

could you estimate ratio of wingspan to fuselage lengh ?

could you discern engine configuration and type ?

could you discern tail configuration / sixe

were there contails associate with the craft

the aircraft experts will have a lot better chance of giving you a credible explaination for what type of aircraft it could have been - if you can furnish those answers

Q3 ) - an estimate of airspeed ? , and in the same vien

heading

location - was in following , or avoiding a charted air corridor [ if knpwn ]

manovers - was it flying a dead course ?

thats all i can think off for now

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ok ive found a pic of an aircraft that looked similar to what i saw, its the X-29 Switchblade and according to the website that i got the pic from
www.air-attack.com...
It was tested between 1984 and 1992 for a total of 374 flights, which would put it in the time period that I saw this strange aircraft (1989)
From what i read though, it was mostly tested over land bases so i dont know if its the same one i saw, which of course was over the Pacific.
Also, with 374 combined flights over a period of 8 years, about 3 a month, what would be the odds that I would see one of these flights lol.
Also this plane is designated as a fighter, so unless my estimates about its altitude were wrong then thats another strike against this plane as a candidate for what i saw.
Now im not the best at judging altitude, for some reason 80k just popped into my head, it couldve been and probably was lower.
Anyway, im just trying to satisfy a 20 year old curiousity that i had so any help is appreciated
here is a pic of the plane from the related website.

[edit on 26-1-2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
was it this?

Mig Foxbat

Just wondering.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
hi - regards the grumman x-29 switchblade :

as you have correctly decuced - there were only a handfull of prototype airframes built - and < 400 total flights

if you post a querry in the " aircraft section " of ATS requesting flight details - dates and locations

i am not as uptodate with the modern stuff - but the definative texts and archive papers i have on WWII aircraft do give specifics of where and when the prototype testing of aircraft occured - so the info should be out there

there are a lot of very knolegable people on the aircraft forum :

waynos , killcoo , intelgurl - and many others - who have access to unbublished stuff and insider knowledge

hope this helps

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
was it this?

Mig Foxbat

Just wondering.

I dont understand the question here lol. You ask what the aircraft is but you have it labled as the "foxbat" which is a Russian Interceptor.. very, very fast craft.. damn those Soviets could really engineer some awesome things.
Ignorant Ape: thanks for your attention to my post on this topic and I apologize for the lack of details. It was just so long ago and I saw it for just a short amount of time.
Anyway, so far the "switchblade" is the only thing that i've found that even closely resembles what I saw that day.
Wow I wish I could have those days again, I never realized how much fun floating on the Pacific could be, till years later when I could no longer do it lol

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a forward swept wing recon plane...

perhaps what you saw was a HFB-320 Hansa business jet?

did it look something like this?

www.hansajet.de...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
No, the wings were a lot more angled forward.. the best example ive found so far is the switchblade, which is posted above.
The only thing is that I thought that it would be bigger and for some reason the thought that it would be some type of recon plane just stuck in my head. I guess because i thought that it was flying higher than it probably was, i said 80k feet initially but im beginning to back off of that estimation, thinking more along the lines of 50-65k but idk. Most likely if it had been a "normal" looking plane, with normal swept wings, then i wouldnt have thought it so unusual.
Thanks for the reply blackbox

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There is another plane that if memory serves me actually looks like a diamond with the forward swept rear wings and backward swept canard. I don't remember if it is jet powered though. I actually got to work with a guy who helped engineer the x-29. Retired early, then lost all his money when the dot.com burst. Ended up taking odd engineering jobs to get back on his feet. I knew he was WAY too smart to be doing what he was doing for our company! If I can find a pic of that plane I will post it. I think it was prototype for personal business usage.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Attached are some links to forward wing or joined wing planes. Past, present and future. Good luck.

groups.msn.com... check out the AD-1 on this site as well as this site of future UAV that may not be future but already built.
www.aeronautics.ru...
www.testpilot.ru...
www.flug-revue.rotor.com...
www.dfrc.nasa.gov...
www.precisiondesigninc.com...
www.hitechweb.szm.sk...

new topics

top topics

join