It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a Freeware Photoshop type software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hi everyone.

Just looking for the best freeware photoshop software that is out there.

anyone have any ideas?

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think GIMP is the best of the free alternatives to PS.

[edit on 1/24/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I have heard that too. Thanks I just wanted to make sure before I gave the disk space to it.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think GIMP is the best of the free alternatives to PS.

AW, you beat me to it!

Actually I just recently got it myself. So far it's the bomb.

Edn

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
there also Inkscape which does vector graphics.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Do you guy READ my blog?

Can't afford Photoshop? Try Paint.net

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Great now that I have this I can start trying to figure out how to use it LOL. I am not an artist by any means. So this should be interesting. I am trying to work on a logo for my podomatic page. Plus there are always fun contests going on here on ats about avatars and such. So I wanted to get involved.

Plus I wanted to figure out how Mechanic made FC look so cool. Again thanks Mechanic that looks awesome.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by whatukno]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Plus I wanted to figure out how Mechanic made FC look so cool. Again thanks Mechanic that looks awesome.

Actually, it took more steps to make, than I feel was truly necessary. But at the time I was still experimenting with some of the features of the programs that I use.

It's all about using layers, and transparency.

For the "What U Kno" logo, I removed the original background color with Gimp, using the "Color to Alpha" feature, which rendered the logo with "transparency".
Then saved the resulting image in .PNG format, which preserves the transparency.

For the man, I just erased the original background. And saved this layer also in .PNG format.

The monitor was already a transparent gif, just sized it to fit into the frame.

And of course, the purple background. I created the raysof light directly on that layer.

First, I screen captured your original profile background color. (Since I did not know the exact "Hexidecimal" color code for it. Then I used the color picker tool in photoshop, and created the purple background layer.

I'm not to savvy with photoshop yet, so I combined all the layers together with MS PictureIt!

Could have done the same with GIMP, but I wasn't very familiar with that application, as I just recently installed it.

Saved the resulting compilation to a .BMP file. Then opened with photoshop, and saved to .JPG with minimal compression. PictureIt, is too lossy when converting to .JPG, resulting in too many compression artifacts even in the highest quality setting.

And voila, there is your new profile background image!

Of course, there could be an easier way to do it, but that is how it was done.

edit = clarity

[edit on 1/25/2007 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

join