It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans arrogant about their toys? Would you buy American?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 11:05 AM
link   
and Do they have a right to be?

This Forum seems to be populated with chest beaters about their technology. Which is all well and good, but the only real test of technology is whether or not it works how and when it is designed to work.

Much of the American inventory has been rigorously tested in the past ten years, to greater or lesser success.

Based on the last 15 years of conflict, (if you were buying military inventory for your country, State, town, or dictator) where are you going to shop?

hrxll

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 11:27 AM
link   
USA, Russia, Germany, Israel, South Africa, Sweden and Finland..

These nations listed here build the best weapons.

Multiple sources cause no one nation can build all systems good.
(Not even US or Russia..)

Exambles what and from where i would get:

USA:
Aircrafts (F-16s good on quality and capability, and quite cost effective..)
Optics (day and night)
computer systems

Russia:
SAMs
SSMs
Helicopters (transport and gunship)

Germany:
MBTs

Israel:
Guided weapons
Aircraft systems

South Africa:
Quided weapons
Aircraft systems

Sweden:
Quided weapons
AAA
Portable AT-weapons
IFVs
Submarines
Other naval weapons/systems

Finland:
Small arms
Artillery/Mortars
IFV/APCs
Surface naval vessels
NBC protection and dedection systems (lets face it even Israel and USA want these bad..)

And maybe UK if i would need medium sized Surface naval vessels.
(Frigates/destroyers..)

And also nuclear weapons.. techs and know how i could get from any of these nations..

Oh, and btw.. when i grow up i want to be a DICTATOR!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Just remember that the US is the leading manufacterer of exotic metals. Stronger and Lighter materials are beign used in our newer military units.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
i would shop every where...

every country has its own good stuff...

but if i had to shop from one country...

i think it would be Russia...

because they have some good stuff at cheaper prices...

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Well, I think it would depend on numerous factors:
What is the GNP of my nation...
The role I want my military to play in world affairs...
How I structure my varied armed services...
Do I have the capabilities to build arms of equal to better than those I can buy...
What my nation's tech level is compared to other top military tech nations...
etc.

If an average nation, with average everything...
I would probably buy from who had the best arms/equipment and quite possibly, the one that had the most experience, be it combat testing, tech, R&D, etc.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You get, what you, pay for.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Well, I think it would depend on numerous factors:
What is the GNP of my nation...
The role I want my military to play in world affairs...
How I structure my varied armed services...
Do I have the capabilities to build arms of equal to better than those I can buy...
What my nation's tech level is compared to other top military tech nations...
etc.

If an average nation, with average everything...
I would probably buy from who had the best arms/equipment and quite possibly, the one that had the most experience, be it combat testing, tech, R&D, etc.

regards
seekerof

Your points are well taken and obviously valid. Few places in the world are the US, Russia, France, Britain, South Africa, and Israel, the world's major arms manufacturers and exporters.

The lesson here is that you can ascertain the intentions of a nation by it's military inventory. Most countries can't afford to be anything but pragmatic. You don't buy Aircraft carriers when a coast guard cutter will do. You don't buy F-22 raptors when A-4 will do.

In a related point, it's rather difficult to hide 10 divisions of Armor or a Aircraft carrier.

Most of the world can't afford to make their own stuff. So they shop at Sov-Mart! or Uncle Sam's discount Arms. (That's right with your purchase 3 dozen crates of M16 you get a M-2 .50cal machinegun! Just right for plinking at your border skirmishes! or those pesky helos!)

So my line of questioning was really a way of introducing the concept of Inventory as a way of interpreting intention...by putting people in the position of being the one who buys the goods...but you ratted me out early...oh well.

hrxll

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'd keep an inventory of items very similar to fulcrums, however i'd rather take british submarines and MBT's, and the surface naval vessels from the USA. The french have some decent carriers, not overly huge but not really ASW sized. I'd take the eurofighter and the f-22 as air superiority.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
THis reminds me a a game i have. Its called Super Power its a world domination stradegy game. Its really good you could go teh whole game without fireing a shot or go and conquer the world its a great game suggest all look into it.

aND THIS IS NOT A SPAM OR ADVERTISEMENT JUST A GAME I LOVE

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
THis reminds me a a game i have. Its called Super Power its a world domination stradegy game. Its really good you could go teh whole game without fireing a shot or go and conquer the world its a great game suggest all look into it.

OMFG

i love that game!!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Of course Russian always has to lean to one side here (j/k)

But, I have to agree with FULCRUM on this, shop around..you'll get the best prices and the best deals

^^ Kinda sounds like a commercial for JC Penny huh?

-wD

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Of course Russian always has to lean to one side here (j/k)

But, I have to agree with FULCRUM on this, shop around..you'll get the best prices and the best deals

^^ Kinda sounds like a commercial for JC Penny huh?

-wD

i would too shop around...

BUT if I could only buy from ONE country then it would be from Russia...

best stuff at the lowest price...

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i have to agree with Russian...although Russian tanks are a little outdated...

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

Originally posted by Quicksilver

OMFG

i love that game!!!!

alittle of topic but,

is that game any good?

i saw it at wally-world-mart for 5 or 10 bucks.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by czakky
i have to agree with Russian...although Russian tanks are a little outdated...

outdated my azz

t-80 series
t90 and even t-72 seires can match up to your "new" m1a2 tank, check out the best tank thread.

check out the shtora arena and drozd systems for russian tanks that can destroy enemy projectiles before they can hit the tank

Protection

Multi-layer armour with integrated ERA and removable side-skirts provide reliable protection against direct-hit and top-attack munitions, such as projectiles, grenades, guided missiles, cluster air bombs, etc. Mine resistance of the hull is augmented with vertical pillars and driver's seat special mounting. The T-80U is also equipped with automatic fire-extingnishing and NBC protection systems. Removable mine sweeper is mounted to make passes in minefields.
To enhance tank�s survivability its observable signatures are reduced by using:

in IR range: thermal insulation of the roof and shutters, ventilation of the engine-transmission compartment;

in visual range: low silhouette, camouflaged painting, smokeless engine exhaust, smokescreen laying and entrenching equipment;

in acoustic range: rubberized elements in running gear wheels and tracks for noise reduction;

in radar range: electromagnetic wave deforming/absorbing coating.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by SectorGaza]

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:00 PM
link   
nice info sectorgaza...

here is the link to the tank thread...

Tank thread

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   

your "new" m1a2 tank Protection

I'm British, so this doesn't really mean anything to me

anyway, i didnt know about the new Russian tanks, i thought that they still used the T72!

The new Russian tank looks very good though, have they been tested in combat yet, and if yes, did they turn out to be very good? (alot of modern tanks seem to look good, but break down in combat)

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:08 PM
link   

anyway, i didnt know about the new Russian tanks, i thought that they still used the T72!

The new Russian tank looks very good though, have they been tested in combat yet, and if yes, did they turn out to be very good? (alot of modern tanks seem to look good, but break down in combat)

the new Russian tanks have been tested and are very nice tanks...

also the t-72 is a old tank...

the good ones are black eagle(not in production)

and t-90(in production...)

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:11 PM
link   

your "new" m1a2 tank Protection

I'm British, so this doesn't really mean anything to me

yeah in chechnya, theres also the new black eagle tank, and new upgraded T-80U tanks.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

the new Russian tanks have been tested and are very nice tanks...

also the t-72 is a old tank...

the good ones are black eagle(not in production)

and t-90(in production...)

Peh!, the T-80U can easely beat the t90

top topics

<<   2 >>

join