It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Of What May Be Many Next Generation Wireless Devices

page: 1

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:42 AM
Intel is not shipping Kedron. Which is Intel's version of a next generation wireless device. Intel's claims the device can deliver double the range of its old prowireless system. Also that it can transfer data at two hundred seventy-Million bits per second. Five times the date of the older system, all while consuming less power. The new system has yet to be ratified as a standard but it is felt that may not be to far off. Intel has won the support of many wireless manufactures, however noticeable absent from those supporting them is Linksys.
Intel has begun shipping 'Kedron', the 802.11n-compatible wireless networking module that's a key component of the next generation of Centrino, 'Santa Rosa'. It has also persuaded a number of access point vendors to sticker their 802.11n products as Centrino-friendly.

Kedron's now officially called the Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN, marking an end to the old ProWireless branding. Intel claimed the part delivers double the range of its ProWireless 3945ABG and more than five times the data throughput - 270Mbps. The chip giant also claimed the module consumes less power, yielding up to an hour's extra notebook battery life, all other things being equal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am sure most all of us have heard of the next generation wireless systems. This is the first I have heard of one being shipped. Twice the range is of coarse a very good thing, and we can never get data transfer fast enough. So now the question is, what will people be doing with this? You will be able to carry your note book computer farther away from your router. A single router will be able to cover a larger area and thus more computer hooking into it. This longer range system may have broader reaching effects. This may bite into a little bit of the bunsiss of the broad band cellular systems, so I do wonder what we will see looming on that front.

Related News Links:

new topics