It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragon Skin on future weapons

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ch1466
If you would learn to stop soundbyting you would realize I spend several sentences dealing with this later on.

I did. Your initial statement is still rubbish.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ch1466
And you are ignorant of human psychology on both sides

It's not a question of psychology (though yours is spectacularly crude), it's a matter of ethics and wheher US troops would be willing to carry out the sort of war crimes against innocent civilians that you describe, or whether the rest of the world would allow it.
I don't think so.

Terrorist tactics belong to terrorists, not civilized nations; if you want to use them join al-Qaeda.

Dragonskin still looks life a life-saver. Killing Iraqi civilians and violating mosques looks like a good way of getting US troops killed.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
ch 1466, I've never heard such a load of nonsense coming from a human being... I hope you never desecrate the heroic actions of those who are actually doing some good in Iraq. I have a good friend ex Special Forces; he has probably been to more wars than times he’s taken a leak. Now he organizes security for a couple of oil companies in Colombia. After hearing that he would probably tear you in two like a piece of paper. I’m sure you must know that it’s exactly people like you that the psych test you take when applying to enlist is design for. They would just stamp you defective and show you the door…

Besides this isn’t the third Reich social Darwinism thread. This topic is about body armor and not on “how to commit genocide by ch 1466”.

pay your respect…

*edit, oh and one more thing I’m not an expert in psychology but I can tell when someone has lost he’s respect for human life. And that my friend is what makes me a human and you an animal.

[edit on 13-2-2007 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
"To do evil that good may come of it is for bunglers in politics as well as morals."
William Penn

edit*and cowards I might add to the quote.

If you can understand this, It will hopefully help you be a better person ch 1466.

peace

[edit on 13-2-2007 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
That show was awesome. They are going to be expanding the product.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Now for an on topic post, if this is as good as it looks I hope that it is issued to our troops. Maybe if the general public was informed about this in a more "educational" manner we could achieve that.

I still think it would be cool for police officers to wear this, kind of like real life Robocop when it comes to small arms like pistols (I guess). Though I still think something like a 357 or a .50 Desert Eagle would still hurt you to "some extent".

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
That PSD guy in Iraq didn't notice being shot twice in the back by an AK, presumably the only thing you'd notice being shot in the chest with a .357 would be the bang.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by meihem
That PSD guy in Iraq didn't notice being shot twice in the back by an AK, presumably the only thing you'd notice being shot in the chest with a .357 would be the bang.

Well in that case I think this could be one of the biggest things invented in my lifetime to redefine small arms combat. This will save lives!

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Dragonskin only covers part of the body, and it cannot change the laws of physics - you are still going to get a substantial impact (and potential damage) from any powerful round. But it does address a lot of the problems you get with rigid plates like those used in the Interceptor.

Obviously you have to be a little suspicious of programs like Future Weapons in that they are going to show new gadgets in the best possible light - sort of like a sales demonstration. US Military testing of Dragonskin was less favorable.

The makers believe they have been unfairly discriminated against because they are not part of the defense establishment. If this is the case and the product is as good as they say, then it will be interesting to see how it is taken up by others.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The one on the left is the Dragon Skin, the right one is the Armor Mobility Incorporated. Both are level III. They used the right side armor ceramic plate as a comparison. Both had been successful in preventing any penetration.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
heres a video i found... newer then the one previously posted...

Dragonskin demo

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ehm, people, DragonSkin is NOT better. It just demonstrated the same effectivness as Interceptor with plates. The reason why generals, SS and similar organisations are using it is not because it is significantly better against bullets- it's because it's more flexible and COMFORTABLE. So only thing you would gain with DragonSkin is comfort, but the disadvantages are higher price, increased weight (generals doesn't need to run, however for soldiers 1kg more might significantly restrict their mobility). Not to mention logistics - if interceptor ceramic plate is damaged you can just need to replace it, however by DragonSkin you need to replace whole armor.
And why replace (still relatively new) Interceptor with similar armor, when you can wait 5-10 years and develop cempletely new and superior armor?

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Dragonskin does give better protection - it covers a greater area than Interceptor plates, and can withstand multiple close-spaced hits.

This is in addtion to the other advantages you point out.

Sure, you could wait 5-10 years, but a lot of troops are going to die between now and then. With the billions going on fantasy projects like the F-22, a little spending on body armor might be a good idea and actually save some lives.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

Dragonskin does give better protection - it covers a greater area than Interceptor plates, and can withstand multiple close-spaced hits.

This is in addtion to the other advantages you point out.

Sure, you could wait 5-10 years, but a lot of troops are going to die between now and then. With the billions going on fantasy projects like the F-22, a little spending on body armor might be a good idea and actually save some lives.

The question is how many lives? I mean 70% of Iraq casualties is because of IEDs, Dragon Skin doesn'tprotect people against them. So you have 30% - and from these 30% (800-900 death) how many lives would Dragons skin save compared to Interceptor? I don't think it would be more than 10-20. Multiple hits rarely happen in combat, the hits from sides too. Also even Interceptor can have side protecting plates - and offer all around protection comparable to Dragon Skin - the problem is nobody want's to wear them, because they are heavy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join