It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If No ATS Meeting Place... an Intel NET Maybe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have had several days to get accustomed to my two new Icom T7H Walkie Talkies.

I spent a good portion of today relaxing out on my deck monitoring the local airwaves on these two radios and setting up and organizing the various frequencys in the memory banks.

My plans are to have both Walkie Talkies with certain frequencys in storage or memory banks set up the same manner.

It has taken some days to get accustomed to the set up of the computer menu. This has always been one of my problems since the first VCRs I encountered. Thank goodness they have simplified much of this.

I had the same problem with my Yaesu FT 100D in my truck ..becoming accustomed to the menu operation.

These Walkie Talkies are much more clear in sound than are my older Radio Shack HTX 202 models. THey are also dual band, Both 2 meters and 70 cm. Very compact also as compared to the older models which I still have.

They also dont seem to use as much electricity as do my older models.

I seem to be able to get into most of the local repeaters here no problems. Some of the ones further out ...a bit of difficulty but then again as previously posted...the issue antenna is not the best. I will be ordering a more effecient replacement soon. Most Walkie Talkies have what are called rubber ducky type antennas which leave alot to be desired. THere are better more effecient antennas available on the market.

As to operating simplex I have been able to get out about 6 miles to another ham in a mobile unit. Signal strength was not much but contact was made. I figure some two to four miles will be fine. If I want more I will extend my temporary emergency antenna or hook up to a mobile antenna for more effeciency.

Using duplex or repeater mode the distance reached is of course much further. It is not a problem to make it some 30 plus miles out to Colonial Williamsburg or further. Across the river to Norfok, Virginia..some 20 miles ..not a problem.

My go to and fro work bag is also my main bug out bag. It contains certain tools and equipment to keep me a few days if I am frugal. My plans are to include this Icom in my bug out bag along with my cell phone. Both Units are very compact. In a dire emergency say like post Katrina I would be more likely to utilize this Walkie Talkie than a cell phone as most electricity will be down. This also means most repeaters will be down unless they have emergency power. Simplex will be the way to go.
Just another alternative or option.
I am considered in certain events what they call essential personel and sometimes called to come in during bad weather events. We come into work and tie down what needs to be secured and or stand by for what ever comes up. My concern is getting home after these events. Hence my thinking along these lines.

So far..I am pleased with the performance of these Icom Walkie Talkies over my older Radio Shack rigs.

THanks,
Orangetom

new topics

<< 1   >>

join