It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming: The Final Verdict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   

A draft copy of the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, obtained by The Observer, shows the frequency of devastating storms - like the ones that battered Britain last week - will increase dramatically. Sea levels will rise over the century by around half a metre; snow will disappear from all but the highest mountains; deserts will spread; oceans become acidic, leading to the destruction of coral reefs and atolls; and deadly heatwaves will become more prevalent. Read More

Seems like every report that comes out the news gets worse and worse

[edit on 22-1-2007 by VoXiSo]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It's also on Truthout, too.
www.truthout.org...

"A draft copy of the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, obtained by The Observer, shows the frequency of devastating storms - like the ones that battered Britain last week - will increase dramatically. Sea levels will rise over the century by around half a metre; snow will disappear from all but the highest mountains; deserts will spread; oceans become acidic, leading to the destruction of coral reefs and atolls; and deadly heatwaves will become more prevalent.

The impact will be catastrophic, forcing hundreds of millions of people to flee their devastated homelands, particularly in tropical, low-lying areas, while creating waves of immigrants whose movements will strain the economies of even the most affluent countries.

'The really chilling thing about the IPCC report is that it is the work of several thousand climate experts who have widely differing views about how greenhouse gases will have their effect. Some think they will have a major impact, others a lesser role. Each paragraph of this report was therefore argued over and scrutinised intensely. Only points that were considered indisputable survived this process. This is a very conservative document - that's what makes it so scary,' said one senior UK climate expert."

I'd say this report pretty well confirms it and it also stresses that human causes are the biggest contributor, 5 times more than any normal earth changes.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Sounds like a worthless panel discussion to me. A bunch of blow hards who shelled out just enough to make their way onto the internet.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Ever consider that "global warming" has ended? Temperatures don't reset every Jan 1. It is a continuous flow. When you put a pot of water on a flame it isn't instantly boiling. And likewise when you take the pot off the flame it isn't instantly room temperature. Same thing with the weather. When is the 6th warmest year on record a good thing? When it has followed the likes of the warmest, 2nd warmest, 5th warmest, etc. Since 1998 global temperatures have trended downward. I know 1998 was the warmest. I believe 2005 was the 5th warmest. Last year was the 6th warmest. As of now it looks as if the spike has ended. That is 8 years since the temps have maxed out. The temps are pulling back. Now watch to see how fast they drop. Remember in our climate history following every great temperature spike is a great temperature crash. This happens without exception. The question is how fast will the temperatures fall globally.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soitenly
Sounds like a worthless panel discussion to me. A bunch of blow hards who shelled out just enough to make their way onto the internet.

And your opinion is based on...what? They gathered together the world's most expert scientists on climatology and only published things that everyone agreed on, making it a very conservative report. It was an intergovernmental effort. So you're saying that the planet's top scientists are full of it?

How is it that you know more than they do??

(Picking my jaw up from the floor...)

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I would advise waiting until the IPCC AR4 is actually released to the public (it should be available to download in due course) rather than rely on media hype and misterpretation.

The Observer my make these claims, but do they say under which emission scenario? Bet they don't. Nor will they provide other qualifications which will make prediction turn out to be rather less dramatic and newsworthy.

The only think you can generally be sure of when it come to climate change is that the media almost always get it wrong.

btw Soitenly: you might prefer to check out what the IPCC actually is and how the Assessment Reports are produced, before make such glib comments

new topics

top topics

join