It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Site Kicks GI's when their Down Sleeping on the Ground

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I don't see what the fuss is all about. They deserve to be treated like this.
They are not "Hero's" that went into Iraq to save the country, they are invaders that went into Iraq to get OIL for Bush and his friends and still occupy that country even now when the war is meant to be over.

They knew and still know what they signed up for.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
That's stupid and stubbornly cruel. They could have just shipped the mats and not said a thing, the beasts.

Worse than the mats is the situation with body armor. They've made it against the law for soldiers to supply their own. They won't supply enough to give everyone body armor - but those left out are not allowed to buy their own.

They claim the need for quality control and to not give soldiers a false sense of security with second rate armor is their motivation. It's more like appeasing the manufacturer with exclusive rights on the contract, while not bothering to invest enough for everyone.

That kind of bureaucratic insult is worse than some ingrates cheap shot. That's why we respect soldiers - they do their jobs even when all the chips are down.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
I read that the US spends 2 Billion Dollars a day in Iraq

Where is the money going, certainly seems as if the soldiers are not seeing any part of it, not a nice way of treating the soldiers who are dieing for your government over there.

As I understand it, a lot of this is being funneled directly to contractors such as Haliburton. I also heard abut (but didn't listen to) a report on the radio that said a lot of it is simply being wasted in the system, which seemed to imply a lot of payoffs and bribes (and theft.)

The soldiers are getting the short end of the stick all around.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
IMHO, when men and women join the military, they are fully aware of the possible consequences. I think the past 20 years have seen many people joining the military for it's 'perks' instead of for the honor and integrity of defending their Nation and people.

Basic comforts are forfeited when you go to war. The necessities are all that can be spared.

For those who feel the actions of this business were wrong ( if it is even true), buy him the sleeping pad and send it to him.........and then be sure to donate to a REAL cause, the psychological care he will need once he gets back home. Believe me, it won't be for the lack of a mattress.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Just in....

The company's website is down (Discount-Mats.com), and the employee who wrote that has been fired.
www.todaystmj4.com...

The full story shows a slightly different picture... apparently there's a mail embargo in Iraq, and many companies such as this one aren't approved to ship to Iraq.

In addition, the soldier was trying to BUY... he wasn't asking for charity.

The action of this one employee has put a lot of people in danger. The company owners are naturalized citizens frm Pakistani, but this is enough for a lot of people to call them and leave vulgar threatening messages to the owner and his family (constanly accused of being Muslim terrorists.)

The initial action by the employee was stupid and wrong, but the vendetta against the company (whose owners have Pakistani names) is just wrong, folks. Every company's got its own share of idiots who do things like this.

However, in America, it's "innocent until proven guilty" if you have a very Caucasian sounding name, and "guilty until proven innocent and maybe then you were part of a conspiracy" if you have a "foreign sounding" name or if your skin isn't lilly white.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It's too bad that so many are quick to pass judgment. Making assumptions and then lashing out is a national pastime. Now this company will suffer because of it.

As for the military personnel over there, no matter the reason they are liberating a civilian population that has endured subhuman treatment from a terrible dictatorship for too long. If you feel they don't deserve it because they happen to live in a different country, well, all I can say is its just par for the insensitive and selfish course.

I don't know about these guys but in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam, soldiers were lucky to sleep at all and it was most often in the dirt and mud of a trench. IMO, the more "comfortable" a soldier is the more likely he/she is to get killed.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is from FOX NEWS?

Sounds bogus to me. All the tax dollars being poured into this war and they can't get sleeping mats?

Please.

Fox news recently claimed Barak Obama was trained in an extremist Muslim school when he was a child. Which Obama called "an obvious right-wing hit job."

I'm serious. They claim he was trained as an extremist.

Then CNN debunked the claim and "Fox News executive Bill Shine told CNN "Reliable Sources" anchor Howard Kurtz that some of the network's hosts were simply expressing their opinions and repeatedly cited Insight as the source of the allegations."

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON FOX NEWS.
They have a clear agenda.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well, whatever you think about the war and about the soldiers -- they are fighting for their lives. They don't get to choose which wars they support or fight.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
It's like saying "I support the actors, but I don't support the movies."

I like some actors a lot but not all of the movies or directors that they've worked for.

Anyway actors don't really risked their lives like the soldiers in Iraq nor are they required to defend America or protect anyone but themselves. It really is a different situation from your example. Casting for Booty Call and rounding the troops up for war cannot be compared. War is very complicated as are the reasons for it.

There are quite a few soldiers that don't agree with this war or how it was handled.

My father and brother were in the army (my father was in NAM) and both have different opinions about it. I support the troops but not this Presidents erroneous excuse to put their lives in danger for a convoluted mission. More Americans feel that way each day.

I also think this is FOX's way of drumming up support for a president that has the lowest approval ratings since Nixon.

oh wait...their lower now:

Bush Poll Ratings Before Speech Fall to Nixon's Level

By Nadine Elsibai

Jan. 22 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush's approval ratings are now the lowest for any president the day before a State of the Union speech since Richard Nixon in 1974, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Sixty-five percent of those surveyed said they disapprove of how Bush is handling his job as president while 33 percent approve. The rating matches Bush's career low in a May 2006 poll.

Seventy-one percent of Americans said the country is on the wrong track, up from 46 percent in an April 2003 poll, the month after the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. A majority of those polled this month don't approve of how Bush is handling the Iraq war, terrorism or the economy.

Dang!

Mod Edit: External Quote Reduction.

[edit on 23/1/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Kind of like, "I support the war, but I didn't sign up". eh?

The company will get theres. They put that on a public web-site. I imagine someone will hurl a rock or two into there display windows.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wazaki
They are not "Hero's" that went into Iraq to save the country, they are invaders that went into Iraq to get OIL for Bush and his friends and still occupy that country even now when the war is meant to be over.

If you want to place blame, put it on the US Government, not members of the Military Services. Put the blame on the President and all of the members of both Houses of Congress who voted in favor of going into Iraq.

This entire issue came about because this Company was asked if they shipped to an APO address. A unit was trying to use some of their discretionary funds to improve their sleeping mats. All this Company had to do was to say that they didn't ship to APO or FPO addresses and leave it at that.

I have no problem with people being against the War in Iraq. They have the right to their opinion. I do have a problem with people who think that members of the Military have a choice on where they go and what they do. You lose that choice when you enlist. One of the main problems is that the US Military was used as a solution for some social issues for too many years. Need a job or money for school? Want to learn a trade? Enlist in the Military.

If you have issues with Iraq or Afghanistan, take it up with the people who have a say in what goes on, your local Congresscritter. If your Congresscritter says that they were lied to, then it is time to find a new Congresscritter, one who isn't so gullible.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Honestly who cares? he disagrees with the war. If all you guys are so butt hurt about it go buy the army some damn mats. Also I dont see how he is being ANTI-AMERICAN because he just said he doesnt want to send the soldiers mats and that he thinks the war is retarded. Now granted he is speaking to the wrong guy about the whole pull out thing, but I mean come on look at how many americans want the army home. So sense they want the army home well I guess that makes half of America well anti-american.....You guys all act like a bunch little kids calling him names. Grow up if you think that this is bad well like i said ^ there buy some mats send them yourselfs. We shouldnt be in the middle east but were there so we deal with it. This guy doesnt want to send some mats who cares.

I personally disagree with the war on Iraq and I proudly fly the flag everyday but I guess since "I think that the war is pointless and our troops need to come home and our goverment get some sence knocked into there heads before its too late" well I guess that make me ANTI-AMERICAN in your eyes. So all I can say is grow up and open your eyes.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wazaki

The men and women in service do not have control over what the President or his advisors want or do. You effectively lose freedom of speech and many other rights when joining the military. The majority of people in the military prefer peace to war. The majority of them are just trying to make it, get college, and support their families. The majority of them did not know what they signed up for. Recruiters are notorious for stretching the truth, omitting the truth, and just lying.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sky1
IMHO, when men and women join the military, they are fully aware of the possible consequences. I think the past 20 years have seen many people joining the military for it's 'perks' instead of for the honor and integrity of defending their Nation and people.

They are not fully aware of the consequences the PTSD, loss of limbs, sight, hearing, etc. Even the gung ho few do not realize what they are getting into. The majority who are just trying to make a living have no idea really what they are doing. If most of the people who came in did some research they wouldn't join in the first place. Once your in you can't just say I quit. The gung ho few live in the fantasy land of Hollywood.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I thought we the people had the power to have the government bring them back. Can we all sign a huge petition and get them all to be brought home that way. Idk what to say barely anyone thinks this war is worth it and the majority of the people would bring all the troops home. Why doesn't "OUR" government listen to "WE" the people.....????

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This, of course, does not reflect Liberals in this country...

What it reflects its ignorant people, people who wear clothes but are still animals...
I sincerely hope when they throw the book at these idiots the books weigh enough that their bodies split in half from the impact.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cav01c14
I thought we the people had the power to have the government bring them back. Can we all sign a huge petition and get them all to be brought home that way. Idk what to say barely anyone thinks this war is worth it and the majority of the people would bring all the troops home. Why doesn't "OUR" government listen to "WE" the people.....????

Where did you get such an idea?

To answer, I guess the reason is that our government is a representative democracy that functions through people electing representatives to (hopefully) pass along and act upon the views of their constituents. It is not a government based on petitions and opinion polls. Check out what the Constitution actually says sometime.

And dg, thank you for your post.

[edit on 1/23/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
As a retired military member, I feel for the young men and women who've been sent over to Iraq by the chickenhawk neocon Bu#es who could get outsmarted by a bunch of guys quoting 12th century religious dogma as their primary mantra.
I'm personally against any US troops stationed anywhere overseas. Let the Shi'ites and the Sunnis kill each other with reckless abandon. They've been doing it for about 1300 years and nothing we can say or do will make them stop.

Let me state this:
LOUD AND CLEAR: ISLAMIC TERRORIST AREN'T A MILITARY THREAT TO THE US. China is a military threat; Russia is a military threat. Some desert goofball religious fanatics aren't now and never have been a military threat to the US. The Muslims have trouble pushing around tiny Isreal with its few million, what chance do they really stand against the full weight of the US military forces brought to bear against them. The US military has been fighting with one arm and one leg hobbled by the the political correct, touchie, feelie leadership in the US. Give them the ammo and let them loose and there wouldn't be one Sunni or Shi'ite left alive in Iraq to argue with one another. I say lets give them a taste of the old Hun style of war. Sherman was right: war is hell. Why should only the soldiers bear the pain?

The website employee is the real coward because instead of blogging on his own or participating in some meaningful antiwar protest movement, he chose to endanger innocent people's lives and lively hood. Probably some snotty little jerkoff who lives with his parents.

This whole story is just more propaganda to keep the public enraged, controversy sells add space.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles
i guess im confused by something pretty basic here...i was in 12 years. i was with field units for 10 of those years...a sleeping mat was always part of my issue. ive only been out a couple years...why is the army not issuing these anymore?

this sounds very much like the viral email i got a couple years ago about a soldier writing to starbucks for coffee beans and getting a letter saying pretty much the same thing this article claims was said by the matress company. so if starbucks doesnt support the war, why do they have contracts to open small cafe's on military posts? (well teh one we're at now anyway)

makes you wonder who's full of bs and who is just an innocent victim

When I run into things along these lines I normally check Snopes .. can be a little difficult with something "newsbreaking" such as this but apparently they have covered it.

Here is a link to the Snopes article on this which they found to be TRUE. They have had an email exchange with the involved soldier who confirmed that his order was denied.

Snopes - Discount-Mart APO Refusal

Apparently the business doesn't ship to APO's to begin with so the issue is kind of moot. But the involved employee should've left it at that instead of elaborating that they wouldn't send it to Iraq.

FYI - here's the snopes link showing the Starbucks story to be FALSE.

Snopes - Starbucks

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sky1

Basic comforts are forfeited when you go to war. The necessities are all that can be spared.

For those who feel the actions of this business were wrong ( if it is even true), buy him the sleeping pad and send it to him.........and then be sure to donate to a REAL cause, the psychological care he will need once he gets back home. Believe me, it won't be for the lack of a mattress.

He was looking to purchase a bed mat of some sort ... he was not looking for a hand out from the business. If he wants to use his funds to make his sleeping more comfortable I don't see any harm in that.

I personally don't know of any "perks" in the military that would make people sign up for the service. I know some people join because they have limited options or come from parts of the country where there just isn't much of a job market around for a young person. I guess the one "perk" that pulls people in is the "free" education they provide. If you call the years of service for a pittance wage that must be given in order to gain from the education ... I guess it counts as a "perk".

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join