It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Site Kicks GI's when their Down Sleeping on the Ground

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Not being in agreement with the war in Iraq is becoming common place, but for a private company to deny our troops a request for a matt to sleep on and telling them to get out of Iraq instead, is in the poorest of taste, that was the response from a Wisconsin mattress company's web site.

www.foxnews.com
An American GI assigned to one of the harshest posts in Iraq had a simple request last week for a Wisconsin mattress company: send some floor mats to help ease the hardship of sleeping on the cold, bug-infested ground.

What he got, instead, was a swift kick from the company's Web site, which not only refused the request but added insult to injury with the admonition, "If you were sensible, you and your troops would pull out of Iraq."

Army Sgt. Jason Hess, stationed in Taji, Iraq, with the 1st Cavalry Division, said he emailed his request to Discount-mats.com because he and his fellow soldiers sleep on the cold ground, which contains sand mites, sand flies and other disease carriers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This could be likened too spitting in the faces of the Vietnam era GI's and is the lowest form of protest over this war, couldn't we just say we disagree without kicking our own guy's when they are just doing their duty.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Why should a GI have to go to a private company for sleeping mats?

If the military doesn't provide something as simple as a sleeping mat, something is very wrong with the way the military treats the soldiers, not to mention the use of our tax dollars.

This sounds like propaganda to try and discredit those that disagree with the war. I'm calling BS on this one.

MBF

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have a relative that has been in Iraq. Don't assume that the U.S. govt provides everything that our people need. His wife and mother was always having to send some kind of supplies.

If these people are putting their lives on the line, they need to be provided with whatever they need. How would you like to be shot at all day then have to sleep on the dirt?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It's my understanding that the military seeks out private companies for many items they need in the field not everything the military uses is provided by the military, the sad part is, the response from this company and the lack of respect for our fighting forces. It just makes me sick to see that people take out their hostilities on the wrong people.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I hope these dirtbags go under and get pushed out of business for what they have done. One day these anti-American troop bashing traitors and the others like them will be held accountable for what they have done. What a cowardly, dispicable display. It really pains me to see what passes for an American citizen these days.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I read that the US spends 2 Billion Dollars a day in Iraq

Where is the money going, certainly seems as if the soldiers are not seeing any part of it, not a nice way of treating the soldiers who are dieing for your government over there.

MBF

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Whether you agree with the war or not, we should ALL stand behind our people over there.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
That is appalling but not surprising. I read only tonight about a mother who had to send her son tuna -- and he is stationed in Iraq! He was only getting 2 meals a day.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
yea, if those two meals were MRE's I would be asking for food also those meals are not very big either, they do leave somthing to be desired.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Thats a horrible PR job this company is doing itself. It's not our soldiers fault there caught up in this mess. This guy was just trying to do something for the team but instead this company disrespects our guys in uniform like this? Dispicable!

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The website is down from too many hits, I imagine their phone lines are tied up with complainers as well. Most likely the business will fail after this.

If it was a top-down policy to do something like this, then I think that is well deserved, but if it was the action of a single rogue employee, I do feel sorry for the company.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
i guess im confused by something pretty basic here...i was in 12 years. i was with field units for 10 of those years...a sleeping mat was always part of my issue. ive only been out a couple years...why is the army not issuing these anymore?

this sounds very much like the viral email i got a couple years ago about a soldier writing to starbucks for coffee beans and getting a letter saying pretty much the same thing this article claims was said by the matress company. so if starbucks doesnt support the war, why do they have contracts to open small cafe's on military posts? (well teh one we're at now anyway)

makes you wonder who's full of bs and who is just an innocent victim

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I steadfastly oppose the war, and all war, but I could never condone denying anyone risking their life for others in the spirit of self-sacrifice and duty the small degree of comfort or security they requested when they were in harm's way. Hopefully some other company will see this and fill the need themselves, even if only to score PR recognition. This deeply saddens and disturbs me.

One thing I have wondered for a while now is what impact, if any, would be felt if a large portion of energy spent in opposition to the war were spent to drum up support for filling these basic needs for soldiers. I have mentioned this before, but several soldiers I spoke to after returning from Iraq said that in many instances they and their comrades believed the majority of people back home didn't care whether they "lived or died." I feel that basic support and compassion for the troops should be viewed as a critical part of any opposition to the war, because such opposition is supposedly born of compassion and humanitarianism (I would like to believe that is why I oppose war, at least.) If so, then I must also be compassionate toward the troops, right?

This is something I feel more work needs to be done on. Opposition to war for the sake of compassion toward others should be equaled by compassion toward the soldiers stationed in harm's way as well, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Yeah but surely the soldier would have asked the U.S. Army for one first?

Which means that they must have denied him one as well?

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Striks me that this is straight out of the Joesef Goebbels book of propaganda designed to de-humanise certain sections of society.

I mean, out of all of the web-based companies the guy could have written to, how many could conviniently have had an owner who is "an American Muslim of Pakistani descent" - or in other words a wonderfully ripe target to be set up for a propaganda stunt. Right race, right religion. Perfect target.

Sorry, not buying it. Flase-flag propaganda reporting by the Bush News Network. Sent by email so easily falsified. Sent from a time zone nearly 10 hours ahead of US time, so a same day reply is also unlikely.

I'm suprised people swallow this stuff.

Edit - No I'm not actually, thinking about it. People seem to have stopped thinking for themselves, which is exactly what the Bush Adminstration seems to want

[edit on 23/0107/07 by neformore]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Considering this is from faux news and the article does not even provide a web address for someone to go and check it out and see if its true...I would say its bogus.

Generally speaking the troops are provided cots to sleep on...if they are sleeping on the ground then they aren't at their bases... even in the field they are supplied with your standard sleeping pad used in camping.

Has anyone tried to find this website?

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I'm suprised people swallow this stuff.

I'm surprised that you all don't think that it is possible.

Seriously .. any news that carries a report that makes a muslim look bad and you all think it's just propaganda. Guess what .. there are nasty muslims out there just like there are nasty Christians, Jews, and Hindus, (etc etc).

It is entirely possible, and even probable, that someone working in the private sector let his own private feelings about the war interfere with business. He wouldn't be the first person to do so and he won't be the last.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Discount-Mats.com is Experiencing Technical Difficulties...
If you are inquiring about your order, please contact us via phone or email.
Thank you for your understanding & patience.

www.discount-mats.com...

When your bandwidth is consumed by the curious.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Ive spent many a cold nites sleeping on vietnam era cots in Iraq that are about as comfy as sleeping on the ground. Uncle Sam only goes so far. So we do do depend on outside sources that will donate creature comforts like mattress pads and such.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Perfect example of how supporting the troops but not supporting the war doesn't make sense.

It's like saying "I support the actors, but I don't support the movies."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join