It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Touch Screen!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
fastcompany.com...

Its so awesome, can't wait to see this becoming common around the world, at home, in vehicles, planes, trains, etc.

The link I post shows advertising, so just wait for it to past, it will repeat the advertising again, but you hear music background playing, don't worry, it will cutoff the advertising footage and will head straight to the video I want to show you.

[edit on 22-1-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I want one!!!

That is AWESOME

Semper

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I can't watch the link. Can you describe what it shows please.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It is basically two men standing in front of what appears to be two very large either plasma or LCD screens and manipulating the computer display there using only their hands and fingers..

It really is awesome..

I may be able to "rip" it and post it on "Zippy" or "Put File" if you think you could see it there???

Semper

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
very very nice.

and i thought the cinema displays were a good option, back to the drawing board lol.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
See if this works...

Semper

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
well, windex's stock just went up.

x08

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Awesome.... if schools could afford it .. imagine the possibilities (I'm looking from a teacher's point of view here, as I am one).

No more buying ink and markers for a whiteboard. No more chalk dust in your nose. Simple drawing programs could be programmed to act as a board.

A removable input such as a USB drive or SD card could be good for images, animations, sound files....

Student scores could be saved onto an inbuilt drive, imagine a language class utilizing this and the internet for a call connect.. organised with schools from overseas etc. for language exchange programmes.

I think this would be a great resource in the school. Many schools are (or were?) already attempting to get laptops for every student, reducing or even eliminating the need for paper, pens, etc.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Minority report!!!

Seriously, give it some bue-tooth gloves (or better) and it seems to be the same as the movie. Makes me wonder if the one in the movie isnt operational...totally wouldnt doubt it.
Add some wireless gloves, and boom, ya got it.

And those wondering about surpressed technologies?
Can you imagine a government not doing as much research as an indpendent company or institution? (Maybe I have to much respect for the intelligence of world governments.
)

Peace

dAlen

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
WOW! I grew up working on advanced computers, but I've never seen anything like this before. This is an incredible jump in technology. For those of us with disabilities, this will open up a whole new world of posibilities in the world of computer.

Tim

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Had a quick search and found a better version of it:

www.youtube.com...

I want one

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Dont know if this is the same one that I saw on and Australian TV program - "Beyond Tomorow", but it sounds like it.

This one was using rows of LED's, and i suppose some sort of light detector. So it could be built for only a few hundred dollars and coud be used on existing T.V's or computer monitors.

The best thing about it was the way it worked with jestures. Here are a few examples.

To enlarge an area of a picture, put two fingers on the display and move them away from each other, its that simple, or put a couple of fingers from the same hand on the display and rotate them to rotate picture.

It was much more than just replacing the mouse and buttons.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Has John Madden Seen this?
somebody call John Madden!!!

From the Telestrator, to the Intellistrator..Madden would wet his pants.

Nice post, thanks!

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
we have something like htat in school jsut not as fancy. its looks about the same size and its touch screen and we watch videos and when we mess around with it you can write out football plays like madden haha.....so i dk how new the tech is but its deffently a little more advanced then the one we have. Ours also has internet capibilitys haha so i d k crazy stuff tho

x08

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cav01c14
we have something like htat in school jsut not as fancy. its looks about the same size and its touch screen and we watch videos and when we mess around with it you can write out football plays like madden haha.....so i dk how new the tech is but its deffently a little more advanced then the one we have. Ours also has internet capibilitys haha so i d k crazy stuff tho

touchscreens are nothing new... just look at tablet pcs... but this one can have multiple points of contact at one time, also pressure can be measured... quite useful~

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I think the OS they are using or software behind the touch is the cooler part, 3d objects , maps, white board all linking together, look how the documents are able to move and flow across the screens based on velocity , If you hooked up windows 2003 to this, you still would only be able to do the same stuff as you can with a mouse.

Its the software, that will drive and make this the badass device it seems it can be. IMHO

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Not to be a killjoy here, because I thought that the video showed some pretty cool stuff, but what's the difference between manipulating on screen graphics with your hand as opposed to using the little arrow and mouse that we use today?

The way I see it, the cool part of that wasn't the use of the hands, but the very fact that those charts and maps and other graphics could be manipulated in the manner that they were (I think its irrelevant whether you use your hands or a mouse.)

...but still, that was a pretty cool vid

jra

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
...what's the difference between manipulating on screen graphics with your hand as opposed to using the little arrow and mouse that we use today?

No Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Also it looks like one can do more, like use both hands, instead of just one mouse cursor (I think there are 3rd party programs that let you add a second mouse, but still). I'd love to have a display like this for my computer. I wouldn't get rid of my mouse or tablet (i'd still need them for games and artwork), but for doing general things on the computer it would be great to have.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is better than using a mouse because you can use all your fingers at once to do many things. For people talking about the interface: there is interfaces similar to that for PCs one example of that is Bumptop Physical Desktop

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You would need a monitor the size of Idaho, just to get the full effect.

With a 21" screen I would much rather use a mouse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join