It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Looking At CO2 Limit For New Cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The European Commission is set to decide this week whether to propose tough new emissions limits on new car models after the automotive industry failed to meet voluntary targets.

EU Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas in particular is eager to set binding limits on new passengers cars but needs the backing of his colleagues in the European Union's executive arm to go ahead with the proposal.

Dimas would like to see a new EU law requiring European, Japanese and Korean carmakers to keep emissions from new passenger cars to an average of 120 grammes per kilometer travelled from 2012.

Road transport creates more than 20 percent of all CO2 emissions in the EU, with half of that coming from passenger cars.

European, Japanese and Korean automakers have failed to meet a voluntary target to cut average emissions for new cars sold in Europe to 25 percent of 1995 levels.

SOURCE:
Physorg.com

I'm glad to see that steps like this are being taken, as it's obvious
just leaving it up to the companies to do it themselves wo't work.

I hope that this passes through whatever it has to pass through to
be passed.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Just another EU mandate that is ignored by member states?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well, no, not really.

It's really the member states telling the companies, foreign and
domestic that they have to change there practices, rather than
just asking them to, and trusting they will.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
dude, they are "deciding whether to propose". That is universal for, "we want our faces on tv".

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The EU has no jurisdiction over Japanese or Korean carmakers. They can keep making cars any way they want and if the European consumers want to buy them they will. The EU is toothless anyway, they cannot even enforce existing EU mandates on their member states (i.e. Kyoto limits).

The entire EU is a joke. Impotent.

top topics

join