It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2001: A Space Odyssey. What was going on?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Ok, so... 2001. I loved the film, but, without having read the book, can one really make sense of the ending?

There have not been many films which depict the dawn of man, and evolution in such a poignant manner as did 2001, but the movie left me with far too many questions than I would have liked. I have read the book and undderstand what happened eventually. But to be honest, from watching the film, it is really hard to understand what happens to the guy at the end when he finds himself in the white room, ageing rapidly.

Did anyone else find the film a little vague as to the intentions of the beings who left the monoliths?

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I first saw this film when I was around four or five, and it blew my mind.

I think I was able to grasp the concept of the traveling sequence, but the end was confusing as all get out to me - and until I read the book at age 15, I had no idea of the agenda of the monolith and it's constructor(s).

I think I need to re-read this one again.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Reading "2010-Odyssey Two" might fill in some of the blanks.
This book was also made as a film, but the book was much better.

A good Wiki article can be found here.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 23/1/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I haven't read any of the books, but saw both movies.

Watching 2010 definitely helps fill in some of the blanks in 2001.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Who suposedly did make the monoliths? That is a good question? Were they doorways or what? I don't think I ever read the books (shame on me) but I saw both films. I don't know what to make of the ending sequence either except perhaps a mediphore for the universe within ourselves. "my god its full of stars"

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Acccording to the first book, the monolith was an agent of evolution and observation for it's makers -

The first monolith on earth actually started the evolutionary process by pulsing hypnotically and giving a lightshow to the apes until they started to behave with their higher minds (this is in the book, not the movie)...

The moon monolith was planted there intentionally to be unearthed when humans had reached that state of technology, and then relayed a broadcast when unearthed (or unmooned, in this case).

The monolith was based on Clarkes short story called "The Sentinel" - which I haven't been able to find anywhere...yet.

That's all I know thus far...still reading.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I recently watched 2010, the sequel on tv, so I made a run to the viedeo store to watch the first again (turned out they showed it a couple nights later).

In the book/s it explains that the 'aliens' whom were obviously far more advanced/evolved than humans, to such an extent that they ceased to be physical creatures. They had evolved to a state of mere 'energy' or something and existed on a higher plane of conciousness. At the end of 2001 the guy is in the room etc. The 'aliens' were 'converting' or changing him into one of them so to speak. Removing his body and leaving his 'life force'.

In 2010 he comes back to that other ship as a 'spirit' to communicate to the people on Earth and the ship.

One thing which confused me about the end of 2010 is that it seemed the only purpose of the monoliths was to turn jupiter into a new star?? Whats the point of that? I did I get it totally wrong?

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Modulus
One thing which confused me about the end of 2010 is that it seemed the only purpose of the monoliths was to turn jupiter into a new star?? Whats the point of that? I did I get it totally wrong?

They were also creating life on Europa. That's why they said Europa was off-limits to humans, they were creating new life there.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I watched a video of a lecture, probably by Jordan Maxwell, in which the speaker says that the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey is encoded completely with the Free Mason's religion.

Now its been many moons since I've seen the movie, and I have only seen it once, but I think there was a checkerboard floor somewhere in it, which is masonic (comming from the floor in the "holy of holy's" of Solomons temple).

And there was some comment about how IBM is HAL because if you add one letter to each:
H +1 = I
A +1 = B
L +1 = M

Not sure what it all meant, I'll have to find the video again. It may be on this page in the "Hidden secret occult knowledge" section. (#5)

Its not suprising that masonic symbolism would be inserted into a movie, or even be the main story line. Look at any film production company animation before a movie starts. For example the Dreamworks SKG scene starts with a Brick being thrown into the water, which then become a fishing lure. I dont know why the kid in the moon would fish with a brick, but if you pause it and play it frame by frame you will see the Smooth Ashlar. Then theres the many morning star symbols, like a friction match (also known as a Lucifer) being struck preceding a rising sun, or a light house flashing before a rising sun, and so on.

(PS. I just found a website which claims to tell you what 2001 meant, but I think its just the basic story and not symbolisms - link.)
---------------------------------

On another note, I read some web site or thread about Jupiter becoming a sun. In it, the author claims that the atmosphere of Jupter could be ignited with a nuclear bomb and would become sun-like. Then he says that a probe was supposed to crash into Jupiter carrying a small nuclear payload as part of some NASA mission, but something went wrong and it didnt happen. Perhaps some friendly aliens interviened?

Not sure if any of this is true, just telling you what I have read & heard.

new topics

top topics

join