It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Students Shunning Cafeteria Junk Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The cafeteria lunch line at Columbus Elementary School moves quickly as students grab portions of carrots, celery, apples and oranges.
French fries and hamburgers, once cafeteria staples, aren't even offered.

"I eat carrots or apples every day," said 10-year-old Alan Espino.
He said he didn't notice that the bun holding his all-beef hot dog was whole wheat.
Even the pizza available in the cafeteria has whole wheat crust.

The school cafeteria looks radically different from those of his parents' generation, and it appears many kids aren't turning their noses up at the new offerings.
In fact, according to a survey of food service directors, french fries are decreasing in popularity and interest in carrots is skyrocketing.

The School Nutrition Association's annual survey given to food service directors around the country shows just that.
Among students in kindergarten through 12th grade, french fries dropped in popularity from 1998 to 2006, while carrots and fresh vegetables rose in popularity.

She [Pat Johnson] said younger children seem more open to tasting healthier foods and are likely to continue the patterns to middle and high school.

SOURCE:
Physorg.com

This is a good sign, as the obesity epidemic in this country has
gotten so massive (no pun intended).

Hopefully as healthierfods are ofered, the trend will continue.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Kids are listening to their bodies and not their parents. Good move imo.

My folks raised me on bacon and eggs. Meat, gravy and spuds. Not bad but daily? Not good.

Veg, rice, whole grains don't hurt at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I was taken back when I see what some schools offer to the children this days.

I ask one day why they serve that kind of food and they said that . . .is what the children wants.

I am glad that is some improvement for the well being of children.

I grew up with lunch meals but it was nothing of what is offered this days.

The school lunches menus were of rice, beans, stews, chicken or beef, and everything made on site.

what happen to good eating? then the milk was flavored with peanut butter.

I wonder if lack of fund or just the way society has deviated from good home made food to fast on the run food what has prompted the decline of school lunches.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Different at my school, guys.
Yes, although the school serves healthier food, not all the food is what it seems. At my school, the cheese on the pizza, the hamburger in the spaghetti, and even the chicken is not real. Those items are made of flavored soybeans. (Yuck!)
The school lied to me and I actually turned into a vegetable who almost couldn't carry her health book of 342 pages to and from class! The school lunches are good for those that are obese, not those who are hyper and easily bored. (that's me!
)
They should at least serve real chicken.
I'm not a health genius, though. I'll just tell you that some people need different kinds of food for all their lifestyles.

This is off topic:
Anybody know any minerals that might boost your intellegence a tad bit? If there is any such thing?
If there is, what foods harbor it?

top topics

join