It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion Destroys the Image of God

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
"God created man in his image, in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

Worldwide, there are 46 million abortions performed each year, something absolutely outrageous.

I absolutely oppose abortion for numerous reasons; I will list 5.

1) It destroys the image of God.
2) It violates the 10 commandments.
3) It eventually victimizes everybody, especially the embryo or fetus.
4) It discourages the Blessed Sacrament of marriage.
5) It encourages the deadly sin of promiscuity.

List up to 5 reasons why you are Pro-Life or pro-choice.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
1) It is a personal choice and it is right that a woman has authority over her body. This should be weighed with the rights of the fetus leading to restrictions.

2) I'd rather it was done professionally than in some dirty backstreet room.

3) In some circumstances it is for the health of the mother (psychologically and physically).

4) A fetus is not a person. It is difficult to pinpoint when we would class a bunch of dependent cells as a person with human rights. It certainly isn't at conception.

5) Some fetuses have major congenital disorders.

However, I do think abortion is given too freely and that the time window when these are performed should be more restricted except in exceptional circumstances.

It's quite interesting that St Thomas Aquinas had male getting a soul at 42 days and female at 90 days. WTF????

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
melatonin, would you tell a two-year old baby that it is illegal to murder you now, but it would have been legal to murder you at one-month old?

Stop the killing!!!

Praise all the life that God has given us!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
melatonin, would you tell a two-year old baby that it is illegal to murder you now, but it would have been legal to murder you at one-month old?

Hi GreatTech,

are you talking about a baby outside the womb?

If so, I don't think it is legal to kill a child at one month old...

Edn

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I have to agree with most of melatonin's points.

1. Its none of our dam business what someone else wants to do.
2. You should never take aways someones freedom to control there body, once you take away one freedom the next will soon be taken away then the next and the next.
3. As melatonin mentioned in a lot of cases people have an abortion to prevent physical or mental trauma that may be caused by giving birth or brining up a child, in other cases its because the fetuses has some major problems and wouldn't have a life if born anyway.

Point 2 I cant stress enough, you should never no matter what the circumstances take away peoples freedoms, you cant create the rules based of ones religious believes (which is what happens most of the time) because the majority of people don't believe what you believe.

That said I think women should be educated on the options if they are considering having an abortion, I have absolutely no problem with someone having an abortion if it may negatively affect there life through illness or otherwise but someone who is completely healthy I think should consider having the baby and giving it up for adoption there is after all a lot of people who cant have children, that said again its simply not my place to tell people what they should or should not do.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

Hi GreatTech,

are you talking about a baby outside the womb?

If so, I don't think it is legal to kill a child at one month old...

melatonin, life does not miraculously jump into being at birth; life miraculously jumps into being at conception. "Human age" generally begins at birth age; however, true life age begins at conception.

If people thought of the origin of life more, there would be more cures for heart disease, cancer, and the congenital disorders that you mention. There would be more love, care, health, and concern for the pregnant woman and the human inside her womb.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

melatonin, life does not miraculously jump into being at birth; life miraculously jumps into being at conception. "Human age" generally begins at birth age; however, true life age begins at conception.

Well, that is just your opinion. A fetus is dependent on the mother, a blastocyst is not a person.

It is a hard issue, but I will come down on the mothers side on their reproductive rights when in conflict with a bunch of cells that are not viable outside of that person.

If people thought of the origin of life more, there would be more cures for heart disease, cancer, and the congenital disorders that you mention. There would be more love, care, health, and concern for the pregnant woman and the human inside her womb.

If people agreed that using frozen embryos, that will be destroyed, could be used for stem-cell research, we could equally help towards cures for particular conditions. However, some believe that a blastocyst is a person and should not be used as such, but should be left to become useless biological waste.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
In my religion, the quality of life counts over the quantity. If a parent feels like the the quality of life of the child will be in question, then abortion is a logical option. This would include unborn children who have serious health problems, pregnancies which threaten the health of the mother, any unborn child who was produced through incest or rape, and (depending on the circumstances) unborn children who are simply not wanted and are likely to be victimized just for living.

In my religion, it's no big deal to die. We are all going to die it's just a matter of when. Sooner? Later? What difference does it really make?

Abortion is a form of euthanasia. In many circumstances, it is merciful, loving, humane, and a gift.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Pro CHOICE

1. If Eve is named so because she is the 'mother of all living' and she had the choice to eat from the tree of wisdom, then surely she has the same choice in feeding offspring from the tree of life.

2. Wisdom tells Eve that TRUE life is the life of the soul - not the body. A living soul is beget by love not sex.

3. If an adult male has the free choice to commit murder outside of self-defense, then why can't an adult woman take the physical life from that which she is required to sustain spiritually if she knows she cannot do it properly?

I only have 3 reasons, but I think they are quite sufficient. More reasoning behind them follows:

A pregnancy engendered by sex devoid of love potentially creates what might be called a 'living abortion' because if the fetus doesn't feel love in the womb it won't 'live' until it receives love outside the womb. Many women change their mind about a child when they see it - forgetting negative circumstances in the light of the newborn's innocence.

BUT this is not always the case - think about a traumatic rape. Some women can get over it - some can't. Who suffers if they can't? They do, the child does, and it is like ripples in a pond. The biggest manifestation we have of this sort of situation is the life of Saddam Hussein. Read about his early years and you will see what I mean.

Our souls do not die - a baby doesn't suffer a loss if it doesn't make it into the world....but it can and will suffer if it makes it out into a world that doesn't want it. And the world inevitably pays, in varying degrees.

I see it more of a testament to a mother's love rather than some sort of class of 'murder.' I guarantee that if men bore children, this would not be an issue in legislation - because right now that is a man's domain. It wouldn't be a spiritual issue for the public at large if it weren't a legislative snafu.

It is probably the most traumatic thing a woman can go through - if she so chooses an abortion it has been a difficult and rational decision. There would be no abuse of abortions even with no legal constraints at all - women are mothers and that governs itself.

It has more to do with our own inability to be self-responsible while keeping our nose out of one another's personal business than it has to do with what God thinks.

Society would benefit from more free choice in all things - in the interim between the imperfect 'now' and enlightened 'then' when personal self-government becomes the liberating peacemaker on our planet.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Abortion is murder.
Maybe it doesn't look like a human yet.....but it is.
It's a human being at it's smallest form.
It is living. It is alive. It might not be breathing air yet, but neither is an 8 month old fetus. When you abort a fetus, you have ended it's ability to grow and live...therefore you have killed it......therefore you have murdered it.
Abortion is murder.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
So is crucifying a person innocent of the charge made upon them.

Yet christians take a free ride on that one - what's the difference?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

Agreed.

A free ride?
Where do you come up with this?
Actually, I don't want to know because it won't make sense.
Back on subject....

[edit on 22-1-2007 by rocknroll]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
so, i assume by abortion you mean the forced detachment of a fetus from the womb
right?

because i'm all for a different kind if abortion
all the way through the age of 17
that'd keep those kids in line

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
because i'm all for a different kind if abortion
all the way through the age of 17

LOL!
That was good!

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
"Do to others whatever you would have them do to you." Matthew 7:12

A woman contemplating abortion would think of any of the following:

1) Her life is superior to the embryo/fetus thus she would be committing the sin of conceit/arrogance.

2) Her life is equal to the embryo/fetus thus she would be in need of psychological counseling.

3) Her life is inferior to the embryo/fetus thus she would be committing the sin of jealousy/envy.

A woman following the Golden Rule would follow the right path: God's path; create and not destroy.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Today in History
1973 Roe vs Wade: U.S. Supreme Court legalizes some abortions

GT - you are right about the do unto others part.

Any woman who has an abortion because she can't see any possibility of giving the child the love and nurturing - totally devoid of bitterness and resentment related to the father - is thinking of the child first and foremost.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, it is much harder to stick with a predetermined choice of adoption once the baby is born. I KNOW this but many people don't.

GT - if the unloved child ends up as the President of a country which ends up having a history such as Iraq - would you still say the woman did WRONG by not bringing one life INTO the world for the sake of saving millions of people already living in the world?

If the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one - such as is the principle behind the belief that Christ's death saved all christians...then did God disobey His own rule?

Or perhaps we just aren't seeing things objectively from various perspectives?

God both destroys and creates:

Behold, I have created the smith that blows the coals in the fire, and that brings forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.
~Isaiah 54:16

He does it for the eventual good of ALL - evil and peace all for our eventual happily-ever-afters.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Jesus gave up his own life Annie, no one forced him against his will. If he didn't want to die then nothing on Earth (or in hell) would've killed him. So I don't see where Christians get a free ride.

I'm on the fence in regards to abortion. In some circumstances (as has been mentioned) when the health of the mother (physical or mental) could be affected by the pregnancy then abortion may be applicable.

Where it is inappropriate is with those females that just want to have an abortion because a child would interfere with their 'life-plan'. I'm talking Yuppies, as they used to be called. Many young girls on housing estates don't think of abortion as the first idea when they get pregnant, but the middle-classes do. Why is that? Lack of education or for the reason I gave above?

Of course, it may be a cultural thing too. In the past in N.Ireland abortion wasn't seen as 'proper', though it's changing these days.

[edit on 23/1/07 by jimboman]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
I'm on the fence in regards to abortion. In some circumstances (as has been mentioned) when the health of the mother (physical or mental) could be affected by the pregnancy then abortion may be applicable.

But what about the baby? Doesn't it count just as much - the life that it will have? The life, once started, is just as important as anyone else's.

Where it is inappropriate is with those females that just want to have an abortion because a child would interfere with their 'life-plan'. I'm talking Yuppies, as they used to be called. Many young girls on housing estates don't think of abortion as the first idea when they get pregnant, but the middle-classes do.

Have you known any females who fit that description? Truly and honestly? Because I know this (from being an RN and also a woman and mother and a friend to other mothers):
Women that have a 'life-plan' plan for that life-plan. It is called birth control and it is much easier to obtain than an abortion. Both on the superficial level as well as on the inner deep personal level. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and women know that more than men.

I have NEVER known of any woman getting an abortion just to get rid of an inconvenience. Not ever. I have known many who have overcome a terrible situation leading to pregnancy and raising a loved and healthy child in less than ideal circumstances. I have known women who could see no other option - and regardless of their options, it haunts them daily for the rest of their lives. It is not a thing done lightly that I have EVER known of. If you have, then please let me know. But to be fair, I just don't think men (and some women) have any idea of what it means when a woman realizes she is carrying another life - however it came to be it is LIFE.

AND quality IS better than quantity - at any age - this also I know from first hand experience. There are things worse than dying before you have a life and one is being dead among the living. The prevention of a wounded soul is far better a priority than the preservation of a fleshly body. What did Christ say? Fear not for your body but for your soul! That surely applies to unborn babes just as it does to 45 year old adults.

Why is that?

Because it is unavailable, for the most part. Expensive also. Not to mention the shame they feel trying to go about arranging it, even privately it is not accepted and publicly it is treated with scorn - it is something that we cause with our comments and then don't consider ourselves as ever being in the other one's shoes. It is worse to interfere and judge another than it is to let them work out their own life with God - which is a right we all have and so must not try to infringe upon that of another person!

Last but not least - it is potentially life-threatening at times to step foot in an abortion clinic with the current public attitude towards them! Think about THAT.

Lack of education or for the reason I gave above?

Lack of education, yes. Not the mother's but the rest of us who would judge for her. The public who judges and criticizes that which we have not experienced.
Lack of empathy is a huge part of it. We must learn to walk in one another's shoes or we will never have peace on this Earth for our children and grandchildren!

We have inherited the Earth and we must do right by it and eachother!

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

1. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.
2. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.
3. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.
4. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.
5. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

1. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.
2. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.
3. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.
4. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.
5. It's nobody's business what a woman does with her body.

Benevolent Heretic, if everybody can do whatever they want with their bodies, why is it illegal to consume certain drugs, drive drunk, or be drunk in public?

What if it's nobody's business what an embryo/fetus does with his or her body?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join