It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coincidence versus Intuition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Dae

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Coincidence

Ive been thinking about starting a thread about this for a while now, I really want to see what other people think about these two quite strange occurrences. In particular I would like to compare both intuition with coincidence in view of our daily lives and how they influence us.

Have you ever experienced a coincidence and if so did it effect you in anyway? Did the coincidence make something more than what it was? Or did it steer you in a way you are pleased with. Example time! Boy meets girl or boy or, you get it yeah, so they meet, surrounding their meeting are coincidences left, right and centre; it effects the decisions that the couple make and they get married. Now either the marriage 'went to hell' or the marriage worked out fine.

Has coincidences effected your business or career decisions? Did it work out? Or was it something you regret.

Is your life filled with coincidences, or just a few smatterings, or none at all?

Sub conspiracy on coincidence

The definition of coincidence is quite biased I think, it states that it is accidental and only appears arranged. That in my mind is stating something as fact without a shred of evidence. We have not always viewed coincidence as accidental, for a long time we believed it was The Fates, god/s, devil, the fairies etc. It appears that 'modern man' is stating that, this is nonsense and its all accidental.

From what I can see there are two factions when concerning coincidence, accidental or arranged (or both, but it means you accept the arranged idea). Ok, accidental, ... well that was quick, enough said, it was accidental. Ok, arranged, by whom and to what purpose? How was it arranged? Can I arrange it? Is there a cost?

Intuition

Again the same type of questions; ever experienced it, if so how often? Ever followed intuition and been wrong? Have you ignored your intuition and its been something you regret? What, if any, can affect your intuition, both positively and negatively?

The Crunch

When coincidence conflicts with intuition. The world around you is saying one thing yet the world within you disagrees. Has this happened to anyone?

My theory

It all depends on the type of answers I get but I have a feeling that more negative experiences may occur when following coincidence when intuition is saying otherwise. I theorise *grins* that coincidence will have more negative outcomes and intuition will have more positive ones.

Whether Im right or not, Im looking forward to peoples ideas and stories!

Dae

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Maybe I asked too many quesitions and put people off, or maybe the subject is irrelevant or not enough people have clicked on this thread.

Maybe I should ask a mod if I can change the thread title to something a bit more eye catching!

Anyway, no one has to answer all the questions

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
OK let me try to at least get something going here:

I have had coincidences(as I am sure we all have). When I was younger I used to say basically "oh wow that has to mean something. As I grew older (46 now *ick*), I guess I came to lean towards the mathmatical fact of given enough time and experiences, something will always seem coincidence.

Example: Ever bought a new car and felt like all of a sudden there sure seems to be a lot of people with the same car on the road? I am sure they have always been there, but you just havent been focused in that direction before.

Intuition: Yes I have felt things internally, both positive and negative. When in a few cases I ignored the negative feelings, I seemed to have regretted that.

Again when younger I said to myself "damn why didn't I listen to that ;ittle voice telling me NOT to do that". Now as I am older I still get that little voice saying beware or something of that ilk, however I am beginning to think its just something internally I already know to be, but externally I havemt fully processed it yet.

I am sure this discussion can evolve into a good thread once people start throwing around the ideas or opinions they have.

Just my two cents to help get this rolling.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The definition of coincidence is quite biased I think, it states that it is accidental and only appears arranged. That in my mind is stating something as fact without a shred of evidence. We have not always viewed coincidence as accidental, for a long time we believed it was The Fates, god/s, devil, the fairies etc. It appears that 'modern man' is stating that, this is nonsense and its all accidental.

I do not think there are coincidences.

A coincidence implies there is an effect without a cause. It is also known that there cannot be an effect without a cause. So a coincidence is something that happens where the cause is unknown but there still had to be a cause for the effect to happen.

Edit to add: I think that consciousness with intention is the cause of so called coincidences

[edit on 26-1-2007 by etshrtslr]

Dae

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Thanks Arkangel4time!

When you were younger and believed that coincidence must mean something, can you remember a time when you followed what you thought it could mean? If so, was it a good experience?

Has your intuition ever warned you about something when you had no proof or reason to be warned? Like you meet someone at work for the first time and your intuition says "stay away!" but you override it with "give them a chance, they seem nice" and 6 months down the line you were like "damn, why didnt I follow my intuition?" Do you think its the subconscious?

Dae

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I was just about to ask what you thought coincidence was and your edit told me.

Originally posted by etshrtslr
Edit to add: I think that consciousness with intention is the cause of so called coincidences

So you think people cause coincidence to happen? It could account for some but not all. Grr, been trying to find an article mentioning the magazine contest that started up as legal action (two people claiming the same bizarre story) but ended up as coincedence, they both did have the same story. Wish I could find it because it was bizarre - they both had a plane crash in the same type of plane (private one they flew themselves) they shared the same name and some other stuff.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   

So you think people cause coincidence to happen?

Not people... consciousness or spirit if you prefer.

If you read some of the cutting edge quantum physics stuff....from Dean Radin.... Dr. Fred Allen Wolf....Lynn Mc Taggart and several others..consciousness with intention is the cause of all that is and that would also include so called coincidence.

Consciousness is the cause of our physical reality.

www.deanradin.com...
www.fredalanwolf.com...
www.livingthefield.com...

[edit on 26-1-2007 by etshrtslr]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
Thanks Arkangel4time!

When you were younger and believed that coincidence must mean something, can you remember a time when you followed what you thought it could mean? If so, was it a good experience?

Has your intuition ever warned you about something when you had no proof or reason to be warned? Like you meet someone at work for the first time and your intuition says "stay away!" but you override it with "give them a chance, they seem nice" and 6 months down the line you were like "damn, why didnt I follow my intuition?" Do you think its the subconscious?

Item 1: Yes Met my first wife simply because of a chain of 4 events led us to meet. w/o going into those details, we stayed married for 10 years and had a beautiful boy together. We both were caught up in that "this has to be fate thing"...end result, a terrible bitter divorce.. All of the said divorce reasons aside...14 years after the divorce, we both have finally agreed we were NOT compatible at all. I will admit w/o that fateful meeting, I wouldn't be blessed w/ my son

Addendum: Now hapilly married to my true soul mate who was a gift from God (in my eyes)...A beautiful daughter from her and a feeling of contentment never felt before in my first marriage.

Item 2: Oh yes Intuition warned me many times, and several I never heeded. In my experience that intuition has never been wrong, only my decisions about those feelings. As far as "do I feel it is my subconscience?"
Absolutely...'tis what I meant by " ...internal feelings not being processed externally yet."

Dae

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

www.deanradin.com...
www.fredalanwolf.com...

Ooo nice, I shall be looking at those links, I like a bit of physics

Ever heard of the Schumann Resonances? Maybe Earth itself has consciousness, that perhaps she likes the encores...

About.com

Identical twins. Identical accidents. Identical deaths. Two hours apart. This astonishing coincidence was reported in newspapers and on newswires around the world in early March, 2002.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

www.deanradin.com...
www.fredalanwolf.com...

Ooo nice, I shall be looking at those links, I like a bit of physics

Ever heard of the Schumann Resonances? Maybe Earth itself has consciousness, that perhaps she likes the encores...

About.com

Identical twins. Identical accidents. Identical deaths. Two hours apart. This astonishing coincidence was reported in newspapers and on newswires around the world in early March, 2002.

Yes I have heard of the Schumann Resonance....I have read where it has increased from about 7.8 to around 11 or 12.
One of Dean Radins books is called the conscious universe...the earth is part of the universe so maybe it does have consciousness.

As for the twins I think consciousness with intention would explain the apparent coincidence.

Dae

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkangel4time
[snip] We both were caught up in that "this has to be fate thing"...end result, a terrible bitter divorce..[snip]

Ok, now we are getting to the meat of things! Coincidences piling on to make you believe its fate, the Right Person to be with but they are not (excluding children that were made).

Why do you think those coincidences happen, apart from the kids, why would 'the universe' steer you towards a person you arnt suited with?

You dont have to keep answering my questions Arkangel4time because I seem to have alot of them!

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well Dae I actually dont feel like "the universe" steered me anywhere. I feel like I let an immature belief system send me down a path based on false assumptions? (never really verbalized this before so bear with me).

On hindsight, I suppose I would have taken way more time to discover the true stances on many important things in her life and how they meshed with my stances. i.e. faith, abortion, long term goals, ethics etc.

The main thing that sticks out to me from that time was the initially fantastic sexual match. That pales in comparison to other matches in reality(although it is still very important)

You can feel free to ask away, but I am not on here 24/7 so be a little patient

Dae

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I went to the second link that etshrtslr provided and I get to the bit where Dr. Fred Alan Wolf is in movies, one is 'What the Bleep...' which I have seen and take with a pinch of salt, the other was 'The Secret'. Now Im like, hang on I only heard about that DVD yesterday (from a completely different source, not ATS for instance) and when I looked at its website (yesterday) I thought, hmm seems scammie. So, we have a coincidence surrounding this Dr. Wolf and my intuition is telling me dodgy.

Dae

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkangel4time
Well Dae I actually dont feel like "the universe" steered me anywhere. I feel like I let an immature belief system send me down a path based on false assumptions? (never really verbalized this before so bear with me).

Ok, its a belief system I agree, but it is a system based on a perceived reality, coincidences are real in that way and its following them through with a belief that its fated or the right thing to do.

The sex bit! Even more meaty! So, coincidences and fantasitic sex is a recipe for divorce, and an ugly one to boot. Ok Im basing this on one story, so I wont jump the gun

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

So, we have a coincidence surrounding this Dr. Wolf and my intuition is telling me dodgy.

Dr. Wolf is a UCLA educated PhD in theoretical physics. Just because you did not like the movies he was in does in no way discredit his work. He has written 11 books and I have read 3 of them. I suggest you read a few of his books before you make any hasty judgements about him. The man knows physics.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think a coincidence is something that occurs in a persons existence to further their learning process.

With the fellow that posted about his first wife, etc. I'm sure he walked away from that marriage with a knowledge that he otherwise wouldn't have had. If he did not have this knowledge then it might be the case that he would not be prepared for his second marriage to his soul mate.

My mother always told me 'Everything Happens For A Reason'.

As far as intuition, I have regretting every single time that I went against it and now I always let it guide me. There is just something inherent in all of us that tells us what is good or bad for us.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I have certainly experienced coincidence in my life. Because of my spiritual beliefs, I don’t think there is any such thing as true coincidence in the accidental, without cause, sense of the word. Of course I could be wrong about that, perhaps my religion colors my view of life experiences. However, because of the nature of my faith, I cannot accept things without first carefully analyzing them and, when ever possible, testing them in my own life. After more than 10 years of “testing,” I have reached the conclusion that most everything does happen for a reason and that coincidence is not accidental.

One example: I was asked to be a foster parent to a dog. It was a basset hound and I can’t stand basset hounds. It was only temporary so I went ahead and took the dog in until a permanent home could be found. However, no permanent home could be found. Wouldn’t someone want an AKC registered basset? Why was this so hard? We all finally gave up looking and I decided that the dog really was pretty and I liked her after all. I kept her.

Once I made the commitment to keeping her, it became apparent that she was a natural medical alert dog. I have a neurological condition where I accumulate too much cerebro-spinal fluid around my brain. I never know when the pressure is building up until it is too late and I have to go to the hospital for a spinal tap to drain the fluid. Once I decided to keep the dog (my beloved Sandy Pooch) she began alerting me when the pressure was rising. All I had to do was pay attention to her and adjust my medicine accordingly. I no longer needed regular spinal taps.

Then I dreamed that my Pooch would die soon. A month after that dream I learned that she had an inoperable condition and I had to let her go.

Sandy Pooch was only with me for about 5 years, but while she was here she taught me so much about managing my condition on my own. By watching her and paying attention to slight changes in my hearing, vision, and location of headaches, I learned the subtle clues that help me avoid hospitals.

This is just one example, but it’s one I like to share.

I never would have picked that dog out for myself.

I never would have believed that it would be hard to find another home for her.

Dogs that alert on this type of condition are rare and usually require extensive training.

Once I learned to take care of things more or less on my own, she died -

after I dreamed she would.

After so many things like this happening in my life, I have to conclude that many times things happen for a reason, and what may look accidental may, in fact, serve a much larger purpose.

I could be wrong. Maybe we simply find what we look for (or see what we want to?) When something happens, I look for reasons, and I find them.

Dae

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The man knows physics.

Im not discrediting him or anything and I dont doubt his credentials. I usually play it by the mind in situations like this. I acknowledge the coincidences and listen to my intuition but I read it all the same. I understand he is not directly responsible for those films too.

I might just get me a book of his regardless as they are not those films.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Another term for coincidence is "synchronicity".

Definition: "coincidence of events that seem related: the coincidence of events that seem related, but are not obviously caused one by the other. The term was first used in this sense in the work of the psychologist Carl Jung."

encarta.msn.com...

I think synchronicity happens when you're on the right track and it's confirmation that you are.

I have a wonderful example of it, too. Some years ago I met my present husband, Tom He was unhappily married at the time with a small child. We felt drawn to each other, but we both knew that we couldn't be together because he was married. Neither of our belief systems would allow that. So 4 years went by without much contact between us until one day I got an e-mail from him. His wife had found what she later realized was her soulmate. It was all on the up and up, everyone knew each other, liked each other and got along and they both decided that they could date other people. I should say here that neither was happy in the marriage and had both agreed to stay together until they each met someone else, so neither would be lonely. So, knowing that his wife had found someone, he contacted me, we got together and the rest was history.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. I had moved by that time to a lovely place in the redwoods of Northern California. When he came over that first time after our 4 year separation, he realized that he had been to that very same house 20 years before for a party. That's only the beginning. As we talked on that first visit, I was telling him about the house next door, which had formerly been the home of Admiral Halsey's son, a very beautiful place with exotic botanical gardens, a creek, etc. Tom's eyes opened wide, and he then told me that his grandmother had actually known him, back in Pennsylvania where Tom grew up! But wait there's more!

Shortly after I moved in with him (his wife having moved out and joined her lover who is still with her), I began dusting an old globe that Tom had. It was huge, and looked like a medieval wizard's globe, very antique. It opened up and inside was a liquor cabinet. It had reminded me of one I'd had years ago and sold due to lack of space to keep it, but I loved it and hated parting with it. I'd never really looked at Tom's globe and as I began to dust it, suddenly I found wax drippings from a green candle. It was then that I remembered I'd had the exact same thing on my globe! We compared stories about when and where he'd found it and I sold it and you know what, IT WAS THE EXACT SAME GLOBE THAT HAD BEEN MINE! That was when we knew for sure that we belonged together. We still have that globe and it has a special place of honor in our home. We've been together almost 4 years now and are very happy together and contented. I should also add that Tom's ex-wife is happily married, as well, still with the same person. We're all good friends even though we live now on opposite coasts of the U.S.

And that, to me, is what synchronicity is!

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
Coincidence

Has coincidences effected your business or career decisions?

Yes. (although to me, coincidence means not something by chance, but true co incident - two instances in separate places in the space/time fabric that are linked inexorably and in truth - whatever THAT means
)

Did it work out? Or was it something you regret.

It worked in that it led to further enrichment between experience and co incidents. I have no regrets whatsoever at this moment and overall they are rare and are resolved when i see the bigger picture behind the co incident.

Is your life filled with coincidences, or just a few smatterings, or none at all?

i'm thinking i should apply to the Guiness book of world records for that category. No kidding.

Intuition

Again the same type of questions; ever experienced it, if so how often?

at every fork in the road

Ever followed intuition and been wrong?

Not that i can recall - early on in life i did but it only served to tune me into the importance of heeding my intuition. the instance wasn't meaningful except for the lesson. Since then i have never been steered wrong by intuition.

Have you ignored your intuition and its been something you regret?

No i don't think so.

What, if any, can affect your intuition, both positively and negatively?

Heeding it and obeying it increases it. To second guess it suppresses it and causes problems in life.

The Crunch

When coincidence conflicts with intuition. The world around you is saying one thing yet the world within you disagrees. Has this happened to anyone?

i'm not sure what you mean by the 'world around you.' As far as the world's opinion or judgment or assessment - i have no regard for that so it hasn't been an issue. If you mean my environment, then my environment doesn't really disagree with my intuition at all - the more intuitive i have become the more i have been able to understand my personal environment and thus the closer those two factors become intertwined - perfectly.

<<   2 >>

join