It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Statute Law (Acts, etc) - Cancer Act 1939

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
First of all, I really couldn't decide where to put this particular thread. It was orignally meant to be put in the ATS Research sub-forum, but it wouldn't let me, I haven't got permission, blah blah blah.

Perhaps most people know about it, perhaps not.

Please move it to the correct sub-forum if this is the wrong place. Thanks.

So as I'm now posting it here I thought I'd also bring up something that was bothering me today....

This was sent around my workplace today (I work for the civil service, if you're really bothered, just ask which place) via e-mail, it's a new(ish) website that is part of the whole governments aim to make law more 'accessible' to the public. I know it's just a link, but I spent a while just looking through the various Acts, etc. I found some of them quite interesting (Cancer Act 1939), funny (A Statute forbidding Bearing of Armour (1313)), idiotic (Terrorism Act 2006) and so on.

UK Statute Law

Oh well, just thought I'd share it.

And here's the thing that I was curious about.....

Cancer Act 1939 (c. 13)

4. Prohibition of certain advertisements.— (1) No person shall take any part in the publication of any advertisement—
(a)containing an offer to treat any person for cancer, or to prescribe any remedy therefor, or to give any advice in connection with the treatment thereof;

Link to Cancer Act

Hmmmm, so if someone found a cure for cancer, they can't go out and share it with the world via advertising, great....

Maybe it's just me misunderstanding the whole thing....or just picking out the bits that make the Act look bad....I'm unsure.

If you lot want to have a look through some of the acts and see if there's any dodgy ones, please share your opinions.

Rob

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Terrorism Act 2006 (c. 11)

6 Training for terrorism

(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)he provides instruction or training in any of the skills mentioned in subsection (3);

(3)The skills are—

(a)the making, handling or use of a noxious substance, or of substances of a description of such substances;

Terrorism Act 2006

So...putting that little bit together....

'A person commits an offence if he provides instruction or training in the making, handling or use of a noxious substance.'

So, imagine, you're in the research laboroatory at whichever University you attend.

'Ooh, you should wear gloves and safety goggles when handling that hydrochloric acid mate!'

'Get away, terrorist!'

'What!?'

'The Terrorism Act says that if you advise me on the safe handling of this noxious substance, you have committed an offence under the said Act'

'Oh, s**t.'

Rob

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Interesting stuff Rob.

Thank you.

...I agree - that Cancer Act is extremely suspect. Probably justified as anti-snake oil legislation, but when stuff like that gets passed, it usually means heavy corporate profits. Somewhere, somehow...

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Anyone else spotted anything?

new topics

top topics

join