It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Under Investigation for Mis-Labeling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

US farming watchdog accuses Wal-Mart of mis-selling
By Stephen Foley in New York
Published: 21 January 2007
Wal-Mart, the controversial retailing giant, is under investigation in the US over allegations it is trying to pass off non-organic foods as organic.

It has been accused of using misleading labelling that is "tantamount to consumer fraud" by an organic farming watchdog, the Cornucopia Institute. The body has handed its complaints to the US Department of Agriculture (Usda).

The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection is also conducting an investigation into whether Wal-Mart is placing "natural" produce on shelf space labelled as containing organic items.

The Cornucopia Institute claimed to have found dozens of examples of Wal-Mart's mislabelling products - from "all- natural yogurt" to soya milk "made from organic soybeans".

What a shame

I think this is something that is going on across the board. It is a way for the big corporations to say, "See 'organic' food is not so good after all." When in all actuality, what places like Wal-Mart is selling the public is not organic, but genetically modified garbage.

[edit on 22-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Don't get me started on this one.
When sucralose first hit the market I noticed an interesting and unpleasant effect it had on my intestines.

Now bare in mind I have never had a sensitive stomach. I could eat cookies and drink jack daniels all weekend long and only get a headache.

Sucralose is now in everything, and it's even in a lot of products that don't list it on the label. I can tell. I'm hoping someone will develop a sucralose testing kit (like a ph testing kit).

But what do I know, the FDA has our best interests in mind, right?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
You are what you eat! Even if you don't agree with the ideas behind the organic food movement; puttin non-organic food on organic shelves is just down right dirty. Of course you also get what you pay for. Maybe walmart should pay its employees more that minimum wage and they wouldn't stock the shelves incorrectly.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am one of those organic freaks, I knew that Wal-mart was trying ot tap on every possible markets . . . including organic foods.

Doing business like this will take business away from the organic growers while selling the goods at more cheaper prices.

But when my husband told me to be careful of the organic produces in wal-mart because this news I was not very surprised.

Organic growers keeps their standards of quality at the highest, because they are always targeted by the government, one of the reasons their products are pricy.

But it seems that wal-mart is starting to look like a big octopus trying to gran and suck into its stores everything it can.

Even if is misleading.

[edit on 22-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I really think that this goes even beyond Wal-Mart... Look, I had the utmost respect for farmers in America during the 80s and even the 90s.... However, it seems to me that farming has turned into a big money making industry.

Farmers have turned their backs on organic foods in favor of genetically modified grains and wheat... They have been giving their cattle bovine growth hormones for God only knows how long...Yeah, the good ol' countryboy farmer of yesteryear has long since passed.

top topics

join