It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

air rifles

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This page has some airguns and acceries on it. I like the Air Force Talon Air Rifle with Scuba Refill. A scuba tank will last a long time. Not good in a survival situation but still looks awsome. Some of the pumps would be better along with a red dot site or a nightvision scope. I really know next to nothing about airguns but it is logical to me so ime going to start researching them.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Most people are posting top-of-the-line/overpowered air rifles, so I thought I would give people who are new to air rifles a cheaper, more simple alternative.

Here is the airgun I currently own, and would recommend beginners buy:

Crosman 760 Starter Kit

For under $100 after tax, you can get yourself a fairly powerful air rifle, 600 BBs, 250 pellets, a detachable sight (All the websites say Red Dot, but mine came with a conventional sight), shooting glasses, and targets.

The main thing that people would probably have a problem with is that this gun is made almost entirely out of plastic (except for the barrel). This makes it "cheap" and potentially more breakable than wooden or solid steel airguns, but it also makes it very light... under 3 pounds! If you aren't whacking things with it, I can't see it breaking.

It's perfect if you live in a city like me. I don't want to go outside with it and get the cops called on me, so I just shoot it indoors. Just make sure that you cover up all your breakable stuff and put a blanket behind the target to prevent ricochets, etc.

As for accuracy and power... well, my friends and I have shattered plastic thumbtacks from 20+ feet away. It will shoot through pop cans, tin cans, and most other things you put in front of it.

Plus it holds 200 BBs in the reservoir at once.

I got mine at Canadian Tire, but I'm sure Wal-Mart and similar stores will carry them, or similar versions, in the US.

If you want a good first airgun for target practice, I would recommend this gun. You could probably shoot squirrels and rabbits with it too, but I've never tried. I wouldn't shoot an animal unless I was going to eat it, and the finches and squirrels in my yard don't look too appetizing just yet

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I've seen the Crosman package you described; a good, inexpensive airgun. The only airgun I have is a Benjamin-Sheridan in .22 cal. I like it 'cause its wood and metal - it has some solidity to it.

For something really cheap, and pretty powerful, there is a no-name Chinese air rifle in .177 cal. - I think its spring-piston powered. The stock is some synthetic material, but the barrel, sights, and reciever is metal. You can get them for like $20 American. It kind of looks like an SKS converted into an air gun. Bad thing is that its pretty heavy for that type of weapon.

A friend of mine has one stock, and my brother has one with a stock he refinished and painted a camo pattern. I don't know what the muzzle speed is on the pellets, but from firing it, it seems pretty powerful. Even though they are b--- ugly, I might get one myself and have my brother refinish the stock for me.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
EVEN THOUGH I POSTED THE 50 CAL AIRGUN IDEA, IT WAS NOT SERIOUS, WELL NOT TOO SERIOUS IT WOULD OBVISULY BE A HECK OF A WEAPON BUT SURVIVAL IS NOT VERY OFTEN INVOLVE COMBAT AND IF IT DID CENTERFIRE WEAPONS ARE CLEARLY BETTER, HAVING SAID THAT. THE ONE ITEM OTHER THAT WATER THAT YOU NEED IS FOOD, WHEATHER IN THE CITY OR COUNTRY SMALL GAME( BIRDS, SQUIRRLES, RATS , ECT) ARE MORE PLENYFUL AND NOT VERY LIKLEY TO HURT YOU AND IF PRPOERLY AND WELL COOKED GERMS ARE NOT A PROBLEM. YOU ARE ALSO LESS LIKLEY TO ATTRACT ATTENTION HUNTING SMALL GAME WITH AN AIR RIFLE THAT ANY FIREARM, AND IT CONSERVES YOUR FIXED SUPPLY OF AMMO. YOU CAN GET A PRETTY GOOD AIR RIFLE AND A LOAD OF AMMO FOR LESS THAN 100.00 AND IT'S VERY LIGHT WEIGHT. SO IT'S WORTH CONSIDERING.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
There are some very powerful Chinese spring-powered airguns that can be used for larger game up close. Look up BAM Airguns. They are under $200. Way better built than any Crosman. Modified Benjamin/Sheridan pump gun can be had for around $250 and will be every bit of as effective as a .22rf out to 60-70 yards. Look-up Mac-1 Airguns.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
These can be nice but no terribly strong. You can find a Beeman or something with similar power. There about as strong as a .22 or a .17. Youd be able to get varmints like large rodents, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons. Not much bigger.

Or you could move up in caliber, and get elk, deer, buffalo!

Quackenbush Air Guns

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

These can be nice but no terribly strong. You can find a Beeman or something with similar power. Theyre about as strong as a .22 or a .17. Youd be able to get varmits like large rodents, rabits, squirrels, raccons. Not much bigger.

Your completely wrong.

First, airguns come in all calibers, from .177 (for small animals) up to .45 - .50 cal that require handpumps, and are capable of dispatching deer and such.

Second, take a look on Gamo's site, for they're video.
They've designed a pellet that increases shock factor, and penetration to the point where they killed a wild boar on film with it, from an airgun.

So you can, and plenty of hunters have, taken game much larger than raccoons and such.
Please have a full understanding of an issue before you reply.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin

For under $100 after tax, you can get yourself a fairly powerful air rifle, 600 BBs, 250 pellets, a detachable sight (All the websites say Red Dot, but mine came with a conventional sight), shooting glasses, and targets.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Yarcofin]

The Crosman 760 Pumpmaster is availible at around $30 at any US Wal-Mart.
Our local has it for $29.98.

The fps as mentioned on the box is overrated, as true FPS is around 560fps with a crosman premier 7gr pellet. (I've tested at home)
So as far as under $100, for US people, there are MUCH better options.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I've been shot in the head with a BB gun (as a child)

well I was shot in the foot at point blank range....
almost put my own eye out with an arrow but thats another story.
I would use different methods to eat then a rifle, but I am Mohawk.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
This page has some airguns and acceries on it. I like the Air Force Talon Air Rifle with Scuba Refill. A scuba tank will last a long time. Not good in a survival situation but still looks awsome.

Actually, the tanks that come with Airforce Talons/Condors etc, really don't last long if your trying to get full power.
In a survival situation, a break barrel makes more sense.
Some people would say "what about pnuematic?" (self pumping)
The only pnuematic airguns worth theyre salt, are the Benjamin Sheridans that have been beefed up by Mac1 Airguns, using Beeman Crow Magnum pellets.
THEN you would have an airgun you could count on, otherwise, break barrel is the best choice.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Haveing read what type of air rifle you people use and wanted to buy I'd never even touch one unless it was Daystate/Ripley/Air arms/Falcon/ but's thats just my opinion from shooting pro air rifle comps. And in some what contradiction of my self spend a few hundred on a good scope and spring rifle and some good lead ammo and your set to go simple as that.

[edit on 02/014/200 by SE7EN]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'd go for a break-barrel .177 Weihrauch HW80 and several dozen tubs of Prometheus pellets...steel slugs with PTFE sleeves that do wonders for rabbit-kills (as opposed to rabbit-maims)

The HW80 is also easily converted from 12ft/lbs to 30+ft/lbs with a mainspring conversion kit, although is illegal to own a converted rifle without an FAC

On a side-note, I vaguely remember reading in a dusty old edition of 'Air Gun World/Airgunner' many years ago about a US home-built conversion to a Crosman pre-charge rifle that turned the thing into practically a rail-gun by using many thousands of copper-windings down the steel barrel and pellet ammunition carried in copper-wound cork sabots. I've tried many times to find the article online but to no avail...anyone heard of anything similar being built?

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Prometheus Pellets haven't been very accurate in any air rifle that I've owned past about 35-40 yards. For springers, it's tough to beat the JSB Exact 8.4 grain pellets in sub 12 ft/lb guns. My FAC .177 guns(20 FT/lb+) like the JSB Heavies. I've made instant rabbit kills at 100 meters with them on calm days. I generally limit shots on rabbits to 70-80 yards with any gun I use whether it's an airgun or firearm. I do head shots only to save as much meat as possible. If you can't regularly keep your pellets within 1.5 groups at 50-55 yards with a 12 ft/lb gun in .177 caliber, switch pellets or switch guns. You'll have to practice regularly as well. A standard field target rabbit shape with 40 mm kill zone will hone your skills to the razor sharp levels. I recommend at least a 4x scope with 40mm objective lens for hunting past 30 yards. IMHO 4x-12x mildot scopes with adjustable objectives are just what are needed for airgun hunting. Any scope with greater magnification is makes finding quarry difficult especially in low light situations. My favorite spring gun hunting combo is my .25 BSA Superstar(FAC) with Milbro Rhino pellets. They retain 40% more energy than .177 heavies at 50 yards fired at the same energy levels. They have a rainbow trajectory but I've never had a rabbit do anything but a death hop when hit by them.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

I am about to pick up an 850 shadow matic. Do you think it would kill a fox with a headshot?

[email protected]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I have an old "Lion" airgun. Chinese....what they used to give the kids to train with so they didn't waste money on real ammo.

Breach loading too, a great seal.

.177 calibre and I've beefed up the spring as much as I can. Any more and I wouldn't be able to get it back together without the risk of taking an eye out when it goes "sproing!"

I used to belong to a shooting club and would bring it along just for a laugh. Got it from an arms fair for £15 about 28 years ago.

I could pop 10 pellets into an area about the size of a cigarette packet on the 50 yard range. People couldn't believe it.

Real primative sights too....they were the first thing to go! I just filed a "V" into the main adjustable mount base, bent the pin of the forward sight and used it like that.

Still got it tucked away somewhere. I'm going to dig it out and do some "plinking". Sure it would get me some dinner if I needed it to.

Rather have a real ammo rifle though.

Interesting post.....cheers...nerb

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invader

These can be nice but no terribly strong. You can find a Beeman or something with similar power. There about as strong as a .22 or a .17. Youd be able to get varmints like large rodents, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons. Not much bigger.

Or you could move up in caliber, and get elk, deer, buffalo!

Quackenbush Air Guns

This is a guy that is feuding with Quackenbush Barnes Pneumatic

He has a model that shoots 12ga slugs

Quackenbush's .308 should be the standard, IMHO.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

<< 1   >>

join