It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't we tell our government what to do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Why don’t we use the government in the way it was meant to be used? A lot of us are forgetting that this is a participatory democracy and our voices can be heard by lawmakers. Impotently shouting your discord for the way things are going into thin air will not change a thing. What will change things is getting onto your congressmen’s behinds about every little thing that bothers you.

The only people that seem to do this is high school kids that are required to write an assignment for a grade or the elderly that have nothing better to do. You the American people have a choice to make. Ether get to your computer and fill these politicians mail boxes up with your demands, or sit there like bumps on a log and watch as they tear away your rights one by one.

These elected officials have a choice they can make too either they read your letter and ignore it and quite possibly start alienating their voting base. Or they can respond to you and start listening to their constituency again.

Big oil and other big companies work hard every day to sway votes in congress. I think it’s high time that we the people of these United States work equally as hard to force our elected officials to start doing what we say again. They are supposed to represent us their constituency. If we do nothing they will do what they feel is best for them.

We have a valuable resource here with ATS to start to change these people’s votes to our favor. We post this and that about what we don’t like but have we stopped to think about how we as the American people on this board could influence our congress to act according to our wishes?

I am personally going to start researching upcoming votes in the house and senate and I will put it on my blog for everyone to peruse. I don’t want to start a thread about every law that congress will try to pass that could get old. But at least there will be a handy resource for us the ATS community to look through and debate what we want to happen in congress. Perhaps with enough of us we can slowly change this government into something that we want it to be.

What do you think? One person cannot do it alone but as many as are on this message board I bet we could become quite the lobby group.

Write your congressmen

df1

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Here are some links that may be useful in your congressional voting records research:
Washington Post- Congressional Votes Database
Project VoteSmart

You may also find it useful to checkout who is financing the campaigns of our elected officials:
Open Secrets

[edit on 22-1-2007 by df1]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the links. I was hoping that this wouldent be annother one of my threads that just dumps off the edge of the map and dies lonely and forgotten.

I will start tonight gathering research for the links in my blog.

Thanks again df1

new topics

join