It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapon that could destroy the atmosphere

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I remember hearing someone talking on Coast to Coast a few months ago (maybe more) about a weapon that the Russians had tested whose purpose was to blow chunks of Earth's atmosphere off into space. This person, a male, claimed that the US was determined to attempt their own version of such a weapon, and that only on the intervention of this man (who threatened to expose the whole program publicly) did the US stop. Does anyone know about this weapon, and is there any evidence to substantiate his claims?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In order to do it, you'd have be able to accelerate chunks of atmosphere to escape velocity. Sounds bogus. What would the point be? If you just wanted to kill everyone there's other ways to do it.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
You may be interested in this thread.

Perhaps the Russian technology is based on this Nazi weapon.

Firedamp

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
If I wasn't so tired I'd calculate the energy needed to eject a block of troposphere into space permanently, it will be a real big number. A chemical explosion wouldn't do it, I don't think.

Remember, we've toggled off some godawful thermonukes and this didn't happen. I don't think a little methane stands a chance.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I don't know the details of this weapon, only that it sounded similar to what Togetic was describing. Perhaps a chain reaction is involved, one that is difficult to contain. Perhaps the energy is focused insuch a way as to penetrate the atmosphere rather than dissipate into it. I don't know.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I don't know the details of this weapon, only that it sounded similar to what Togetic was describing. Perhaps a chain reaction is involved, one that is difficult to contain. Perhaps the energy is focused insuch a way as to penetrate the atmosphere rather than dissipate into it. I don't know.

All I remember about similar Nazi weapons is that they sort of worked but not well enough to get the job done. I'm not familiar with this one right off the top of my head, I'll have to do some reading. Always interesting. You have to wonder what sort of motivation was being used on these guys to get the oddball projects they came up with.

As far as a chain reaction, there's really nothing in the atmosphere that WILL react in that way. Certainly nothing that methane could cause. There was some speculation about midway into the development of the fission bomb as to whether you could set up a Bethe cycle (solar phoenix) in the atmosphere between nitrogen, CO2, and water vapor. IIRC it was Teller that was worried about it, then did the calculations and decided that there wasn't any way to do it, period, there not being enough atmosphere or gravity. There was an on-site bet by Fermi just before the detonation at Trinity as to whether Teller had got his math right. We're here so I guess it was ok.

At any rate, focus, no focus, you still have to end up accelerating your chunk of atmosphere to escape velocity or it will just fall back. Air masses more than you'd think. I'm still at work and my eyes are melting, and we're about to lock up the safe door and waltz out of here. If I get a few minutes I'll look at the back-of-the-envelope numbers of using a nuke to loft a chunk of troposphere.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Firedamp

Icarus

Thats an awesome thread I missed somehow, I read the Reich of the Black Sun ( a month ago ) and it was an equally awesome book. I also read his other book called "Brotherhood of the Bell" but it was a harder read and made alot of assupmtions IMO but it clearly claims that the Germans had detonated a nuclear device and an Italian Officer came forward and gave his account of the test.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Some sources claim that HAARP has the ability to "lift" the atmosphere but I dont know if they ever said it could destroy it. There was a good video linked here about a week or two ago i'll try to bring it up.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Distortion
Some sources claim that HAARP has the ability to "lift" the atmosphere but I dont know if they ever said it could destroy it. There was a good video linked here about a week or two ago i'll try to bring it up.

Ugh. That video was anything BUT good. There is some fairly uninformed discussion about Eastlund's patents, one or more claims refer to using an MF or HF radio beam to heat the upper ionosphere, expanding it so that it causes atmospheric drag on LEO satellites. There's another, I think, where he discusses forming ion mirrors to bounce radar off of.

Gakona doesn't have the power for the first or the focus for the second. The ion mirror trick has been tested for a year or two now elsewhere.

However, neither of these could be construed as "blowing chunks of atmosphere into space". The ionosphere expands and contracts like mad on a diurnal cycle.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Firedamp

is that a weapon that would set on fire the atmosphere, heard the chinese developed something like that

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Here's another thread about Hitler's EM Shield.
I don't think this weapon was any kind of threat to the atmosphere, but it is interesting to note the scope of experimentation being done by the Nazis at the time. Its a good thing the war ended when it did (if it ever did).

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

That's only based on a misunderstanding of what the ionosphere is

Presumably if you could somehow expel part of the atmosphere, the rest would just rush in to fill it? And I'm really not sure what would be the point anyway?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think the Firedamp flak weapon created a massive shock wave and concussion effect, focused upward. I don't think it was a FAE weapon.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

That's only based on a misunderstanding of what the ionosphere is

Presumably if you could somehow expel part of the atmosphere, the rest would just rush in to fill it? And I'm really not sure what would be the point anyway?

I particularly liked the part where one of Begich's "experts" says that the ionosphere can "pop like a bubble".

edit: I don't know if it's in the video or not, I only made it about halfway through before I got tired of it. But in Begich's book, they try to sell you on the bubble theory.

[edit on 22-1-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
IMHO i believe this kind of technology exists, most likely because of the electrical genius that is Nikola Tesla. There is skeptisicm about whether or not he actually made the "death ray" and other similar tech, but there is something about Teslas line of thinking that i can not ignore, the fascination with oscillations and HF energy, aswell as his eventual interest in spiritualism, which he claimed "is the only theory science can entertain"..

Im sure you have all heard of HARRP, which is what this weapon we're talking about kinda reminds me of. I am sure there are ways to manipulate matter that science would say is impossible due to our present understanding, but its all just speculation right now (although i do believe these things are possible).

I wouldn't have even glanced at this topic if i hadn't already looked into Tesla, because i wouldn't have had any idea of how this thing could be possible; Im not saying that i do, but i could imagine it working though.

I think we will be seeing the use of space based weapons in the near future, although there is one NASA video which shows alleged "orbs"/ufos, and these lines streaking to intercept them, which, the video claims, are "rods of god", a space based weapon that fires rod projectiles to intercept the target. I sure America have perfected the particle beam weapon though, again, thanks to the work of Tesla.

On a side note, the idea of a space weapon that could fire to ground level personally scares the poop out of me. That is real fear, not knowing where it could come from, or being able to see it, then bam...you get frazzled.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well, I'm afraid the video got it wrong.

How to put this...spaceborne kinetic weapons that are intended to work by dropping something on you from above, like the often cited Rods paper, don't do a thing for objects in space.

You couldn't use "rods" on something in space with you. So "lines streaking to intercept" something in orbit couldn't possibly be that.

If you used a kinetic weapon on a ground target, the results would be..unmistakable. Bright streak in the sky, blinding flash, huge explosion, mushroom cloud, small crater. It's not like you could say "whoops! I missed" and no one would know.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
On a side note, the idea of a space weapon that could fire to ground level personally scares the poop out of me. That is real fear, not knowing where it could come from, or being able to see it, then bam...you get frazzled.

did you ever hear that art bell show where the caller supposedly called on the run from area 51, he was crying and everything, arts show went of, and somehowhe said they would triangulate on his position, and hit him with some charged particle beam weapon or laser or something. whether a hoax or real, it was quite entertaining.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

did you ever hear that art bell show where the caller supposedly called on the run from area 51, he was crying and everything, arts show went of, and somehowhe said they would triangulate on his position, and hit him with some charged particle beam weapon or laser or something. whether a hoax or real, it was quite entertaining.

One of the few X-Files episodes i saw was one where some satellite would track the computer and then blast the area with an ion cannon type weapon..

I have even had a nightmare about death from above like that, was pretty intense!

I remember reading some speculation about the shuttle Columbia (correct me if im wrong) disaster, and they said that it was not the O-Rings that made it explode, but rather a particle beam weapon from space, for whatever reason...Im undecided whether it was or not, but at fact value it looks more like a tradgic accident.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
O-ring failure was blamed for the Challenger disaster. Columbia broke up on re-entry from a plasma leak into the left wing root. At least that is how the story goes.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I believe that the earliest and biggest fusion weapons were nearly capable of ejecting atmosphere out of gravitational binding to the Earth, and this was one fundamental limitation on their size and utility.

With a number of other reasons this led to the more useful strategic doctrines of larger numbers of smaller (though still titanic) nuclear weapons.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join