It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan to get AMRAAM and AIM-9M's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Looks like Pakistan may soon plug the BVR gap between itself and India...

Raytheon press release

While the release doesn't specify which model of AMRAAM has been sold, anything is better than the nothing that Pakistan have at the moment. And the AIM-9M adds a weapon with decent countermeasures to the Pakistani arsenal. In real terms, the Indian Air Force should still take the honours in a conventional air to air war, however this sale evens the contest a little.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I always wanted to know, why is it so long to deliver military equipment?

This is also the first AMRAAM missile procurement between Raytheon
Company (NYSE: RTN) and Pakistan. Delivery of the AMRAAM missiles will
start in 2008 and continue through 2011.

3 years for 500 missiles? Is it a joke? I know they have others things to produce, but hell, it takes how much time to build a M1A2 tank? An APC? A sidewinder? 2 days?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Good question. I'd say the main reason is money. There is probably a phased payment plan, so the missiles will be delivered blocks. Also, missiles disintegrate over time when sitting unused, so it is actually better to the have minimum you need at any given time, rather than wasting the shelf life of extras. I'm sure if the need arose, delivery could be accelerated.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Screw Pakistan, no Bin Laden, no weapons!

In fact I would be arming India to the hilt, maybe they could invade and find Bin Laden!

Pakistan, like China is a false friend!

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Screw Pakistan, no Bin Laden, no weapons!

In fact I would be arming India to the hilt, maybe they could invade and find Bin Laden!

Pakistan, like China is a false friend!

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The AMRAAMs are the AIM-120C-5 variant, I suspect the reason the US allowed this sale now is because in a few years we'll be using the AIM-120D (IOC 2008). When they are all delivered it will be 2011, however this will still increase Pakistan A2A BVR capability and it should be interesting to see how India responds, if at all.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The AMRAAMs are the AIM-120C-5 variant, I suspect the reason the US allowed this sale now is because in a few years we'll be using the AIM-120D (IOC 2008). When they are all delivered it will be 2010, however this will still increase Pakistan A2A BVR capability and it should be interesting to see how India responds, if at all.

Well WP23, I am not a weapons expert, but common sense does not seem to drive US foreign policy. We hurt our fiends and help our enemies. Go figure! But I do enjoy your weapons expertise!

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Westy,

What's your source on the C-5s?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Willard, this agreement from the US was an acceptance of an earlier (larger offer) done in 2006 by Pakistan. Part of that proposed deal included 500 AIM-120C-5 AMRAAMs. Anyway, The 700 missile deal may be grabbing the headlines but look at that list, that's what’s really interesting, I feel.

Link 1

Link 2

[edit on 21-1-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Thanks mate, very interesting indeed. Guess being buddies in the war on terror has benefits! It will be interesting to watch Pakistan learn to use the new kit. I wonder if the sale has anything to do with the recent announcement that Russia and India are co-operating in a fifth gen fighter program?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mel1962
Well WP23, I am not a weapons expert, but common sense does not seem to drive US foreign policy. We hurt our fiends and help our enemies. Go figure!

Yep.. totally agree with you on that! (but me being Indian may have something to do with it!
)

From one of the articles:

The USA has clear concerns regarding technology transfer from the F-16s or associated weapons it sells to 3rd countries like China, which has close military ties with Pakistan.While the US was reluctant to discuss details, Assistant Secretary of State for political-military affairs John Hillen was more open with Congress on July 20, 2006.

In his testimony to the House of Representatives' International Relations Committee, Hillen reportedely said that: the United States was withholding unspecified technologies "that would usually go with an F-16," including ones that would let it "be used in offensive ways to penetrate air space of another country that was highly defended". It added that Pakistan's F-16 fleet and its munitions would be segregated from aircraft supplied by other countries, so that unauthorized engineers could not get access to the U.S.-made planes, and that U.S. personnel would carry out inventories of the F-16s and their associated systems every 6 months. There had even been a proposal that F-16 flights outside Pakistani air space, including for exercises with other countries, would have to be approved by the U.S. government in advance.

Sounds too fancy to implement for me!!

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
How will the Indians respond?
Well thankfully they've been given an in-your-face reason to respond.
With the Indian govt. sitting on the 126 fighter deal waiting for the numerous slush-funds to fill up, the IAF sqn strength degrades and that of the PAF increases.
The IAF as always maintained a 2:1 force advantage w.r.t. the PAF. But with ageing MiG-21ML/Bis sqns being retired the desired 40 sqn fleet will go below 30
and the PAF will grow to ~25. The figures speak for themselves.
Also India has the Chinese and the Indian Ocean to worry about.

5th gen fighter deal?
Well since you mentioned it I did some looking and found this recent article

top topics

join