It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does JAHBULON even make sense?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Jah becomes "yahweh" oh really? When It's YHWH and that's all that's known, the Tetragrammatron.

Bul becomes Baal?

What?

And On becomes Osiris?

How?

Where do these people put this crap together?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I guess it's like the game of operator

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I highly doubt it because of the science known as "etymology".

Either there's a real connection or it's fabricated garbage by anti-masons...the burden of proof is on them.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by corsig
I guess it's like the game of operator

LMAO

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
According to Macoy's Dictionary of Freemasonry:

JAH. The inspired writings inform us that the deity was known in idolatrous nations, under his own proper and significant appelation of Jehovah. St. Paul says, that they knew God, though they glorified him not as God, neither were they thankful; but worshipped the creature rather than the Creator. And God himself tells us that they possessed the Tetragrammaton, Tetractys, or sacred name, which amongst the Jews was Jah; for he says, "from the rising of the sun, even unto the going down of the same, my name shall be (or is, according to the translation of Cudworth,) great among the Gentiles. And they superstitiously believed that the Name was of such sovereign efficacy, as to enable the possessor to cure diseases, work miracles, and fortel future events."

BUL. The compounds of this divine name Bel, are of great variety. Bel-us was used by the Chaldeans; and the deity was known amongst the ancient Celtae by the name of Bel or Belenus, which title, by modern authors, is identified with Apollo. The primitive name of Britain was Vel-ynys, the island of Bel; and the fires lighted up on May-day were in honour of this deity, and called Bel's fire. The inhabitants made use of a word, known only to themselves, to express the unutterable name of the Deity, of which the letters O. I. W. were a sacred symbol. In this they resembled the Jews, who always said Adonai, when the name of Jehovah occurred. Baal was the most ancient god of the Canaanites, and was referred to the sun. Manasseh raised altars to this deity, and worshipped him in all the pomp of heathen superstition; and when these altars were destroyed by Josiah, the worship of Baal was identified with that of the sun.

ON. Under this appellation the Deity was worshipped by the Egyptians, and they professed to believe that he was eternal, and the foundation of light and life, but, according to their gross conceptions, being necessarily visible, the sun was adored as his representative, and was most probably the same as Osiris. If they believed On to be the living and eternal God, they allowed the same attributes to the sun, which they undoubtably worshipped as the Lord of the creation. Oannes was the God of the Chaldeans, and Dag-On of the Philistines; both of which are derivations of the same name. On was evidently the same deity as the Hebrew Jehovah, and was introduced amongst the Greeks by Plato, who acknowledges his eternity and incomprehensibility in these remarkable words: "Tell me of the God On; which is and never knew beginning." And the same name was used by the early Christians for the true God; for St. John in the Apocalypse, has this expression -- ο ων και ο ην και ο ερχομενος which is translated by our authorised version of the Scriptures, by "Him, which is, and which was, and which is to come."

Dictionary of Freemasonry

All three are found seperately in the dictionary and not as a single name.

We find this in the ritual of the Royal Arch:

Scribe Ezra whispers to the PS: State what you saw on that plate of gold.
PS gives the first syllable; Scribe Ezra gives the second and Scribe Nehemia the third.
Scribe Ezra then begins with the first syllable, followed by Scribe Nehemia, and so on until the Name has been communicated by all three. PS returns to his place on the right of the Candidate, receiving back the Crow Bar and Scroll from the 1st Assistant Sojourner, who moves to his original place on the right of the PS. Scribe Ezra goes to the North West of the Chapter and Scribe Nehemia to the South West. They advance towards the altar with the steps and bow as described for the Principals at the opening ceremony, with this difference that they make no Sign Approaching the altar, they remove the veil and place it on the floor at the East side of the altar. They examine the plate of gold on the top of the altar to see that all is correct.

Scribes: It is correct, Most Enlightened. Give court bow.

Ritual for Exaltation into Royal Arch Chapter

Jahbulon or Jabulon is a word which was used historically in some rituals of Royal Arch Masonry. There has been much debate over the origin and meaning of this word; and there is no consensus even among Masonic researchers as to the meaning of the word. One Masonic scholar alleges that the word first appeared in an early 18th Century Royal Arch ritual, as the name of an allegorical explorer searching for the ruins of King Solomon's Temple; while another Masonic scholar believes it is a descriptive name for God in Hebrew; other, non-Masonic, authors have alleged that it is a Masonic name for God, and even the name of a unique "Masonic God". It is this last interpretation that has led to debates about and condemnation of Freemasonry as a whole by various religious groups. The word is also in use in rituals of the Ordo Templi Orientis, as Aleister Crowley had had contact with various clandestine Masonic groups. The word's meaning and legitimacy is unclear.

^ They then balance three times three, bringing the right band with some violence down upon the left. The right hands are then raised above their heads, and the words, Jah-buh-lun, Jehovah, G-o-d, are given at low breath, each companion pronouncing the syllables or letters alternately. ROYAL ARCH, OR SEVENTH DEGREE Duncan's Masonic Ritual and Monitor, by Malcolm C. Duncan, 1866

Jahbulon

[edit on 22/1/2007 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreiMaurer
Where do these people put this crap together?

Not a nice way to speak of the writings of a 33° , Past Deputy Grand Master of New York and Nova Scotia, Past Grand Secretary of New York, and Grand Recorder of the Grand Commandery of New York.

I am curious as to your response...

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Beelzebubba,

I've seen the explanations for the definition of Jah-bul-on way back. One issue I have with it is the original language and alphabet used in each of the words (Yahweh, Baal, Osiris) - as convincing or clever as it may sound, it seems like a manufactured answer which fits perfectly, if the speakers native tongue is English.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The original reference was a book by the Asian Stephen Knight called, "Jack The Ripper - The Final Solution."

It claimed dubiously that the true freemasonic mappa - mundi was a tripartite godform.

I would claim it resembles more the Solar Phallocenctric Animalised Shadowy Self's that we would like to hail or I say, fear.

YHVH - I can see that - in the Gnostic sensoria, according to the old apocryphia's.

Sol/Osiris - I can see that in the Yellow/Ego sense but also, "The Father The Sun."

As for BAAL the Caanite Godform, you will have to research it fully, and study the obverse and the hiddden and the occult within the Bible.

It's all Father Sun God's - a pity that as Freemasonary doesn't really accord with a heavy emphasis on the Goddess Archon.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zhenyghi
Beelzebubba,

I've seen the explanations for the definition of Jah-bul-on way back. One issue I have with it is the original language and alphabet used in each of the words (Yahweh, Baal, Osiris) - as convincing or clever as it may sound, it seems like a manufactured answer which fits perfectly, if the speakers native tongue is English.

Zhenyghi,

I do not propose that this is the secret name of some ancient deity that happens to fit well within the English language. Rather, the name was invented by Englishmen in the 19th (?) Century for whatever purpose it may have served in the ritual of the Royal Arch. Being that Freemasonry has it's roots in England, does it not stand to reason that the word would seem to fit well within that language? It is most certainly a manufactured answer, but not manufactured by anti-Mason's.

I have simply cited that the origins of the terminology lie within the fraternity.

Originally posted by blingblong
The original reference was a book by the Asian Stephen Knight called, "Jack The Ripper - The Final Solution."

Hardly. As cited above the three separate syllables are found in Macoy's Dictionary, which was published in the latter part of the 19th Century.

The term as a conjoined phrase is found in Duncan's Masonic Ritual and Monitor which was published in 1866.

It claimed dubiously that the true freemasonic mappa - mundi was a tripartite godform.

I agree, this is a somewhat dubious explanation for the term.

I would claim it resembles more the Solar Phallocenctric Animalised Shadowy Self's that we would like to hail or I say, fear.

YHVH - I can see that - in the Gnostic sensoria, according to the old apocryphia's.

Sol/Osiris - I can see that in the Yellow/Ego sense but also, "The Father The Sun."

As for BAAL the Caanite Godform, you will have to research it fully, and study the obverse and the hiddden and the occult within the Bible.

It's all Father Sun God's - a pity that as Freemasonary doesn't really accord with a heavy emphasis on the Goddess Archon.

I don't claim to know the meaning of the word, I was simply pointing out that the associations (Jah - YHVH, Bul - Baal, On - Osiris) lie within the fraternity and not in the minds of delusional anti-Masons.

[edit on 23/1/2007 by Beelzebubba]

adc

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Jah comes from Jahovah I would have thought, Rastafarians read the Bible.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
if its a secret society, how are we talking about it right now

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by adc
Jah comes from Jahovah I would have thought, Rastafarians read the Bible.

In "The Pistis Sophia Unveiled", Samael Aun Weor wrote that JAH is a very Potent name of God; as is Jehovah or Yehowah.

Jehovah/Yehowah(Christ) is not to be confused with Javhe/Yahweh(a Klipothic-demon).

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beelzebubba

...Dictionary of Freemasonry...

...All three are found seperately in the dictionary and not as a single name.

We find this in the ritual of the Royal Arch:...

...Ritual for Exaltation into Royal Arch Chapter...

...Jahbulon

Interesting.

Looks like there's no disputing that.

Unless someone can refute it somehow.

Still doesn't necessarily mean that JAH-BUL-ON would be "Satan".

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreiMaurer
Jah becomes "yahweh" oh really? When It's YHWH and that's all that's known, the Tetragrammatron.

Is this not the usual masonic interpretation? What is the relevance of Jahbulon if its not an amalgamation of different forms of religious observance?

As far as 'yhwh', the 'jews' had 'jerusalem' and 'jerhico' and 'jehova/jahweh', it seems to be a case of an ancient tribe naming everything important to them with the same suffix. So the 'jahweh', since it fits, seems relatively plausible.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Is this not the usual masonic interpretation? What is the relevance of Jahbulon if its not an amalgamation of different forms of religious observance?

According to Pike, it has no relevance outside of an outdated password. Pike pointed out that in early French versions of the Royal Arch, as used in the Rite of Perfection, a character appeared by the name of Jabulun. When the ritual was first translated into English, his name was preserved as a password. It was only later that people began obscuring it by trying to interpret it theologically.

Also, it is not claimed in the actual ritual that the word has anything to do with God, and it is certainly not the Lost Word of Masonry, as is falsely claimed by some anti-Masons. Indeed, that word, even those versions that use it or other words similar to it, is probably the least important thing about the Royal Arch. It is held as ineffable and inscrutible in Freemasonry only by anti-Masons.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
According to Pike, it has no relevance outside of an outdated password. Pike pointed out that in early French versions of the Royal Arch, as used in the Rite of Perfection, a character appeared by the name of Jabulun.

A "character"?

Are you saying that this password/character's-name was not originally composed of the compound Jah-Bul-On?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu

A "character"?

Are you saying that this password/character's-name was not originally composed of the compound Jah-Bul-On?

Masonic degrees are like plays, in which the candidate participates. And like in staged plays, they assume dramatic characters.

In the Royal Arch, the Presiding officer plays the part of Joshua, the Second Principlal plays the part of Prince Zerubbabel, and the Third Principal plays the part of Haggai.

In the French version, the candidate played the part of Jabulun, a Jewish craftsman recently freed from bondage in Babylon.

This seems to be the origin of "Jahbulon", since it did not appear in the original ritual, but only in the translation.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the explanation Masonic Light.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
According to Pike, it has no relevance outside of an outdated password. Pike pointed out that in early French versions of the Royal Arch, as used in the Rite of Perfection, a character appeared by the name of Jabulun. When the ritual was first translated into English, his name was preserved as a password. It was only later that people began obscuring it by trying to interpret it theologically.

Also, it is not claimed in the actual ritual that the word has anything to do with God, and it is certainly not the Lost Word of Masonry, as is falsely claimed by some anti-Masons. Indeed, that word, even those versions that use it or other words similar to it, is probably the least important thing about the Royal Arch. It is held as ineffable and inscrutible in Freemasonry only by anti-Masons.

ML, could you supply a link to the ritual as it pertains to this 'character'?

It is interesting that Masonic Scholar Piers A. Vaughn believes that the Royal Arch Ritual has it's origins in France.

Early Ritual of the Holy Royal Arch

The first ritual I linked to has no character named Jahbulun, just the three syllables inscribed on a gold plate. Is that link a fabricated ritual? Vaughn's article seems to back up the ritual I have cited. As does Duncan's:

...which the Grand Omnific Royal Arch Word must be given, but it must also be given by three times three, as hereafter explained.

They then balance three times three, bringing the right band with some violence down upon the left. The right hands are then raised above their heads, and the words, Jah-buh-lun, Jehovah, G-o-d, are given at low breath, each companion pronouncing the syllables or letters alternately, as follows:

1st. 2nd. 3d.
Jah buh lun.
Jah buh
lun
Jah
buh lun.
Je ho vah.
p. 226
Je ho
vah
Je
ho vah.
G o d.
G o
d
G
o d.

Duncan's Masonic Ritual and Monitor

According to The Rev. Canon Richard Tydeman, in an address to the Supreme Grand Chapter of England on 13 November 1985, the word is a compound of three Hebrew terms:
יהּ (Yah, I AM, which indicates eternal existence),
בּעל (bul, on high, in heaven) and
און (on, strength); pronouncing three aspects or qualities of Deity, namely Eternal Existence, Transcendence, and Omnipotence and equating to "The True and Living God - Most High - Almighty".

I also find it odd that the initiate in the ritual would have a name that is more grandiose than that of the Presiding Officer and the Second Principal.

I find using Pike's writings, as a source, to be very subjective. Mason's seem to pick and choose what they like of his work and use it to back their arguments. You agree with Pike in this instance, but there are other points with which you disagree (The Blazing Star = Sirius) that seem to be fundamental to Pike's belief system.

Of course Pike would try to diminish the importance of the name, he had a real problem with it.

It was this interpretation that was reported to have disturbed Albert Pike, the Grand Master of the Southern Jurisdiction when he first heard the name, who called it a "mongrel word" partly composed of an "appellation of the Devil".

As I have seen mentioned by Mason's on this forum many times; Pike is by no means the world authority on what the definitive meaning of Masonic ritual is.

Macoy was a SR Mason and his explanation for the three syllables imparts names that are of significant import in that in two cases (Jah and On) he equates with YHVH.

That these three syllables are the same that go unnamed in the ritual is pretty obvious.

I further solemnly promise that I will not dare to pronounce the Sacred and Mysterious Name of the True and Living God Most High

...nor to share if by syllables unless in the presence and with the assistance of two or more Royal Arch Companions.

Approaching with reverential awe, I lifted the veil, and beheld what I humbly supposed to be the Sacred and Mysterious Name itself. I replaced the veil on the sacred pedestal, and was again raised out of the vaulted chamber. We then closed the aperture, and hastened hither, to report to your Excellencies the discoveries which we have made.
Zerubbabel: Will you communicate the word which you discovered?
PS: That, Most Enlightened, we must beg to be excused from, for we have heard with our ears, and our forefathers have declared that in their time, and in the old times before them, it was lawful for none but the High Priest to pronounce the name of the True and Living God Most High, nor him but once a year, when he alone entered the Holy of Holiness, and stood before the Ark of the Covenant to make propitiation for the sins of Israel.
Zerubbabel: We command your pious caution, and will depute certain of our Companions to proceed with you to the spot, and examine into the nature of your discovery.
Scribe Ezra whispers to the PS: State what you saw on that plate of gold.

These parts of the ritual tell us that the initiate will be imparted with this name. I can find no other evidence in the ritual where this knowledge is given except for when the 'cryptic' golden plate is read. Which of course would go unwritten in the transcript because it is not to be pronounced (And perhaps to keep it from the view of profane eyes).

Your explanation v. the linked rituals makes me wonder just who is doing the obscuring.

[edit on 25/1/2007 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beelzebubba
Your explanation v. the linked rituals makes me wonder just who is doing the obscuring.

"linked rituals" available on the WORLD WIDE WEB, right?

As a Royal Arch Mason of MANY years and a fan of Pike (who, by the way was a Royal Arch Mason...presiding officer, yadda yadda) I guess the only REAL way of knowing who's doing the obscuring (as you say) is to BECOME one, huh?

Otherwise it's you saying "yes you are" and us saying "no, we aren't"

Then again, that could sum-up everything that is said on this forum regarding Masons, couldn't it?

But, by all means....let us continue with the nonsense and conjecture. After all...why bring fact into the picture and ruin the wild speculation?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join