It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jealous God

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think some of us are missing the real question being asked here.

Is God really jealous or is it the church/priesthood which contrived to make God seem jealous?

If God was jealous of other Gods, that would mean there ARE other Gods.

if it was the church/priesthoods, that means it has more to do with providing a reason for subjegating other religions.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
I propose that it is the Jealous God that is the root cause. A jealous God who is used by its priesthoods to control populations and destroy anyone who disagrees with them. It's a monumental conspiracy.

I propose you get your facts straight. Besides, I wouldnt be worried about christiand or jews if I were you, Id be worried about muslims.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

I propose you get your facts straight. Besides, I wouldnt be worried about christiand or jews if I were you, Id be worried about muslims.

I'll worry about whatever I like. This topic is about the Jealous God and just exactly who made Him so and why.

Besides, talking about facts... the God in question is the same one who is worshipped by Muslims, Jews and Christians alike.

Unless, of course, you don't believe that...?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

If God was jealous of other Gods, that would mean there ARE other Gods.

it is actually a very important part of the progressive allegory for the relationship of God as husband and Israel as wife for instructing us on the relationship of our soul (wife) to our spirit (which is God perhaps not the whole for each of us but rather each of us has our own part) which is the husband.

Our spirit should lead our soul just because it can see better but if we don't submit to that and listen to the advice of 'other' men/gods/voices, etc...our husband would surely be in his rights to feel a certain amount of jealousy - not the insecure kind but the kind we all feel when someone we dearly love doesn't heed our advice and instead listens to someone we know doesn't have the same amount or intensity of concern that we do. It is like hurt feelings and it does seem justified in that it is something we all feel from time to time.

Perhaps zealous is a better word somehow, or maybe we need to make a word to describe that emotion better than jealousy which in these days we all associate with insecurity (and also justifiably).

Get my drift?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I've read many times here on ATS that religion is the greatest evil upon this Earth and that it is responsible for much misery.

But is it?

I propose that it is the Jealous God that is the root cause. A jealous God who is used by its priesthoods to control populations and destroy anyone who disagrees with them. It's a monumental conspiracy.

Religion is the greatest evil upon this earth BECAUSE it proclaims God to be jealous.

The priesthood in any religion is about one thing and one thing only - power. If it weren't those priest (and priestesses) would be happy simply to educate the many on the existence of the omnipotent and leave them to worship in their own way. Even in the polytheistic religions you see the priesthood taking power unto itself to control the masses. "Do as I say, for I speak for the god [insert name here]!" The same basic premise exists in our modern monotheistic religions. Did you know that the Bible was not originally intended to be read by ANYONE except the priests? Why would they do this? It wasn't until King James that the Bible began being translated and distributed to the common man.

Masqua, I agree 100% with your theory that God is jealous becuase the priests make Him so. Its all about gathering and maintaining a power base.

The bottom line is, you don't NEED a priest to commune with The Almighty - they just want you to think that you do!!

[edit on 4-2-2007 by Mr No One]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by soshootme

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
A jealous God...........maybe partly responsible. However, God is perfect.

KJV

Genesis 1: 26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

So... who were those others?

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
A plurality that exists within a singularity.

Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.
same as God saying:

Let me make man in my image, after my likeness.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by soshootme]

[edit on 21-1-2007 by soshootme]

It is my belief that we human beings have such a difficult time comprehending the ideas of infinity and omnipotence that we project a piece of ourselves into the equation. God never really said "Let us make man in our own image." nor did God say "Let me make man in my own image." God just made man. However, in order for us to tell the story, we have to put into terms that we can understand. Think of it like this: there is an omnipotent infinite being that composes the whole of existance. One day the being thinks what is there besides me? Nothing. then I'll make something. So it makes something. And tells something "I made you."

How do you explain that other than to put it into the context of a conversation - either with yourself or others. If someone could hear YOUR thoughts and not know they were listening to YOUR thoughts, they would mostly likely think they were hearing a conversation from a group.

God can manifest itself as anything and everything to better communicate with us. It is my idea (and maybe that of others as well) that it is these manifestations that lead to polytheism in the first place. Somewhere along the line God began guiding us to the true form of God's being. (Man this makes so much more sense in my own head). And that is how we ran down the monotheistic path.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
"Worship me, or I'll torture you FOREVER." If that really is what god is like then we hafta break his ass open with nasty technology. That's an evil dude that would say some mess like that. Think about this, if a human being said something like that to you, then you would do everything in your power to take that human being out of the equation, with deadly force if required.

No omnipotent being would require worship at the threat of torture. So we can only assume that unless religion is nonsense, god is really some sort of evil imposter that draws pleasure and power from the mindless masses that worship him. This imposter doesn't have the ability to torture you eternally, but just the threat causes billions to worship him. Maybe this imposter will one day accumulate enough power to overthrow the true creator of the universe, and will then be free to consume it at will.

I'm going with "all earth religion is nonsense" myself. Is there an ultimate truth? Maybe. Does this ultimate truth include a jackass on an ego trip? Not a chance.

And yes, my mind is a warped and frightening place

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn

I'm going with "all earth religion is nonsense" myself. Is there an ultimate truth? Maybe. Does this ultimate truth include a jackass on an ego trip? Not a chance.

Yep.....if you weren't struck by lightening, i will agree with that statement.

Jesus' purpose was to expose people to the truth. Back then, there was no place to read or hear the truth. No internet!!

Unfortunately, what truth remains after the church finished working it over can barely be distinguished as worthwhile information.

Were Jesus' true teaching available, and recognized as such, the world would be a different place.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmain
Unfortunately, what truth remains after the church finished working it over can barely be distinguished as worthwhile information.

Were Jesus' true teaching available, and recognized as such, the world would be a different place.

On the teachings of Jesus, I wholeheartedly agree. But we're not really discussing the Son of God in this thread. I'd prefer to stick with the OT in this thread, if we can, and truly look at how He came to be described as a Jealous God by the Hebrews. The Christians and Muslims built their faiths much later.

Let's look at Moses.

The Isrealites worship a golden calf in defiance of The Law and God basically wants to 'wipe them out'. Moses talks Him out of it and settles for just killing 3000 for the infraction.

KJV
Ex. 20: 2

Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.

Ex. 20: 5

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them; for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God...

Ex. 32:27

And He saith unto them, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Put every man a sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

Now THAT'S a jealous God.

Question...did Moses carry the Egyptian idea of a solitary God out of Egypt with him? Did he force this singular God on his people just like Akhenaton forced his people to worship Aton and also physically removed all reference to the older Gods with hammer and chisel?

Were both Moses and Akhenaton guilty of a conspiracy to gain control of their people by 'constructing' a Jealous God?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grammar fix

[edit on 4/2/07 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
This thread got me thinking how assigning feelings in general to the "Gods" created an opportunity to pick that personality trait (traits) that resonated with an individuals own percieved identity. One could work with the particular energy (God) that suited thier own expected experience and enhanced their personal choice.

In times before Moses merging the Egyptian and Christian systems there were several known thought streams that allowed for multi dieties who were able to share the human condition without evoking an "everything or nothing" paradigm. It was actually a genius move. It has caused separation and false loyalty to many a human.

The destruction and ruthless murder of "tainted" bloodlines throughout history deemed so by the "jealous God" leaves me with a desire to seek a kinder and wiser role model.

Another statement I read on here opened another line of thinking. That was the suggestion that as humans we could affect the state of the God. By transformation. Interesting spin since it is usually the other way around, God transforming us into higher states.

This is a thought provoking thread which has had many well thought posts.

Cool................

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Hey MASQUA,

I totally agree with everthing you have said. I think however most people when they say religion is evil, are meaning pretty much exactly what you have said, but instead of using the words "Jealousy of God" like you used, they used the word "religion" instead.

I could be wrong and you could be getting way technical on the subject and if you are, what you say sounds good to me. I don't want to get in that deep about the Idea "Religion---Jealousy Of God" are technically different as to why "JEALOUSY OF GOD---RELIGION" are evil.

I don't think you meant it that way, but if you did, you are deep into the subject. Anyway, I love to talk about religion stuff when I am frustrated, it makes me feel better after awhile.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The covenant between God and Abraham (and his descendants) is similar to marriage. The descendants of Abraham (the Israelites) are often referred to as adulterers and whores when they turn away from God and worship other gods. So the concept of God as a jealous God makes sense in this context.

Just as spouses are jealous of their relationship and demand fidelity, so does God demand fidelity in Israel’s relationship with them. It is not a petty jealousy, but one born of love.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

I propose you site which facts he does not have strait and why he does not have them strait, and by all means straiten them out.

I feel masqua has raised some very valued points. I have often compared god to a dictator, and if that is not a reasonable comparison I might point out the definition. Can anyone give me an instance where a dictator in the end turned out to be a good thing for the whole?
I am atheist so to say that Muslims garner more concern than Christians would be completely wrong. I worry about all religions but would say that Buddhism would be at the bottom of my list currently as their beliefs have the least if any impact on current affairs. They seem to care less about "how much better their religion is" as long as they can practice it in peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The end is upon us so why worry?

Religion is about to be ended! Yes now!

Most of ATS members are religious in some way and are about to get a wake-up call.

Some used to be religious and believed but decided to go the other way.

Get yourselves some emergency equipment.

Yes the time is now. How long have you been gone away?

"the sandman" is right.

Thomas.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomquinn
The end is upon us so why worry?

Religion is about to be ended! Yes now!

Most of ATS members are religious in some way and are about to get a wake-up call.

Some used to be religious and believed but decided to go the other way.

Get yourselves some emergency equipment.

Yes the time is now. How long have you been gone away?

"the sandman" is right.

Thomas.

Interesting idea. Would you care to elaborate?

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I am only back once in a while (work).

Watch the news next week and I will give more info!

I used to post regularly under another name (no, I was not banned).

Bush or Blair will say something new!!

Thats all I am prepared to say.
The UN (the Beast) will not like it.

Thomas

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Posted by anon_96540 on 17-02-07 @ 09:30 PM

This anonymous post is in response to ATS thread: Talk About a Conspiracy

"Worry Now"!

Next week there will be an announcement by "Bush,Blair"

"Get out"

"True Religion" VS the rest?

UN will....

Why are we here?

How long have you got?

Listen to your favorite song and think what you will be doing when you are ...well not here?

"I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail"!!"

Thomas

Hopefully Tom can come back soon and show how this is related to the topic of this particular thread.

I included the above in case it shines any more light (which I don't think it does)

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of answers and speculation here, and I decided to add my own, because perhaps someone will see how it may be correct.

First of all, there is no way to tell that you can see the world as it really is. We take for granted the fact we have labels and descriptions for everything.

Aside from that.

This jealous GOD, GOD Almighty, Christ, Moses, etc etc.. all represent different occurrences within the human body. (THERE IS NOTHING OUTSIDE THE BODY)...
There are only interpretations of the activity going on INSIDE the body.

All of the people, places, and things found in any religious scripture are meant to explain a happening or function of the human body, nothing more, nothing less.

There is nothing outside of the body....

There is nothing that happens outside of you, that does NOT happen within you. The two (if you can call them that, are ONE)

Where the control of the masses comes in, many people are left with the authorities kind intentions, false hope, and help, more explanations that describe things OUTSIDE of their body, which DOES NOT EXIST aside from a functioning of the inner landscape... the two worlds are combined.

You cannot describe any religious text accurately if you are applying it to the outside of your body... to places, people and things.. it must be within.
The holy land, mount zion, the new jerusalem are ALL things within the body...
Do you think we had names for ventricles, arteries, pineal glandes, etc etc.. ??
NO WE DIDN'T!!!! So these people took the 'feelings' inside of the body, that matched peoples feelings about people, places, and things outside of the body and created parables and scriptures to explain how the internal landscape operates (efficiently)

If everyone stopped with the conspiracy crap, and actually focused on themselves we'd have a lot of odd people, making this planet operate more efficiently.
People who are aware of themselves are more aware of others...
Let him who is free of sin, cast the first stone.
it should have read..
Let him who knows their own sins, cast the first stone.
because a person who knows their own sins would be more willing to empathize with someone who has similar problems, its the separation that causes the problem...
We automatically think that certain humans are more prone to certain actions than others when in reality under the same (exact same) circumstances (same exact life) you would have more likely than not, have done the same thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Say no more! YET!

Thomas

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Why can't people read the Torah in context?

The Lord G-d states He is jealous in regards to the Covenant made with the Hebrews, and just the Hebrews. He didn't pop up in Pharoahs court demanding worship Me or I'll blow up your kingdom.

He brought them out of Egypt made them His people and thats why He gets jealous and angry when they do ignorant things.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join