It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jealous God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I've read many times here on ATS that religion is the greatest evil upon this Earth and that it is responsible for much misery.

But is it?

I propose that it is the Jealous God that is the root cause. A jealous God who is used by its priesthoods to control populations and destroy anyone who disagrees with them. It's a monumental conspiracy.

In the 14th century BCE, a pharaoh named Akhenaton decided that there was to be just one God to rule over Egypt. He proceeded to erase all signs of other Gods by chiselling their names from monuments and replacing them with the 'One True God', Aton... the first jealous God. This didn't last long,though, because when Ahknaton died, his son, Tutankhaton changed his name to Tutankhamon and proceeded to erase all memory of his father and his monotheistic God Aton.

In the 7th century BCE, King Josiah of Isreal purged his people of polytheism in much the same manner, forcing the population to relinquish their pagan Gods and pay homage to a single God. His was also a short lived experiment, in that soon after his death, the people once again took up polytheism with a passion.

The rest of the story is widely known. Monotheism grew into what it is today largely through the actions of Isreal, Rome, Constantine and Mohammed. Now, the 3 main monotheistic religions on this planet (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) are ruled by a Jealous God who will brook no imposters before (specifically) Him, because He is the One True God.

Any religion which does not accept this solitary God has, for 30 centuries, been attacked, subjegated or put to the sword.

So, I throw it out there for consideration. It is not religion which is the 'Great Destroyer', it is the Jealous God and His flock.

Dae

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I have a theory and it aligns with yours in a way. The men who pushed these religions were in themselves probably Narcissistic and/or Boderline personality disorders. One thing prevalent amongst these personality types is projection. This Jealous god is nothing but a projection of their own jealousy and emptiness.

Its like the Internet, nothing wrong with it, its only a tool. Make a piece of beauty or destroy, its up to the individual.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I always felt it off that an all powerful omnipotent being wouldn't have better things to do than dwell on the day to day activities of the average person.

Just seemed counter productive.

I figure they'd have more important omnipotent matters to attend to. Like creating galaxies and whatnot.

-The Big O

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
This Jealous god is nothing but a projection of their own jealousy and emptiness.

Oh, so true. It's not God, but in fact the adherents who are the problem. it's 'trickle down' hate, fed to the flock from the pulpits, which are in turn fed from the highest orders of The Church.

This is the conspiracy.

Control over populations through the use of fear of death and the hereafter and fear of excommunication and isolation from society.

Not to mention fear of torture.

I think that addresses your post as well, The Big O. It isn't God who is jealous, it's the church who made Him jealous in order to utilize the factor of fear.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
A jealous God...........maybe partly responsible. However, God is perfect.

He was Jealous that the Jews served other Gods and because of it promised to blind their eyes to their Messiah..........Which happened as prophesied.

As for the Christians, their promised truth of God came to pass as prophesied. Then their truth was taken over by the religion of Babylon. All prophesied in the Bible.

The Muslims follow a different God than the Christian and Jew. They follow the moon god. They are deceived as by an angel appearing as an angel of light. All prophesied and all came to pass.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

KJV

Genesis 1: 26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

So... who were those others?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

KJV

Genesis 1: 26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

So... who were those others?

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
A plurality that exists within a singularity.

Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.
same as God saying:

Let me make man in my image, after my likeness.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by soshootme]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by soshootmeLet me make man in my image, after my likeness.

Crafty, soshootme...but if you had used 3 smilies instead, I would have been even more impressed.

The Jewish teachers represented in Justin’s Dialogue also claim that this plural is either just a manner of speaking, or else that God was speaking to the elements. But Justin points out that the creation narrative goes on to say, “Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil.” Clearly, knowing good from evil is not an attribute of the elements. Therefore God is conversing with a rational being or beings who are numerically distinct from him. Justin connects the use of the plural in the creation story with the testimony of Proverbs 8, in which Wisdom is personified as a co-eternal presence with the God of creation (Dialogue with Trypho 62).2 Similarly, Theophilus of Antioch concludes that the statement ‘Let us make man in our image’ is addressed to the Second and Third Persons of the Trinity: “But to no one else than his own Word and wisdom did He say, ‘Let us make’“ (To Autolycus 2.18).

www.catholic.net...

IMO, Theophilus is making this up in order to facilitate a singular God. A Jealous Priest dispelling competition.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Interesting thought, Masqua.

The ancient polytheistic religions tended to be embracing -- the gods of the neighbors were usually adopted as kin or children of the region's god. Sometimes they even blended gods of the two areas (Ra, Horus and Hathor are three very prominent examples.) While they did start wars, they were not wars with a religious purpose to convert the others.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by soshootme

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
A plurality that exists within a singularity.

Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.
same as God saying:

Let me make man in my image, after my likeness.

There is no evidence to suggest this to be the case. The trinity is never mentioned in the OT.
Also why then does god say that the people shall worship no other gods as he is a jealous god. This says to me (in context) that jehovah is a bit pissed at the people as they dont all worship him but other gods - which in turn would mean that there were more than one god and that jehovah doesnt like the others or feels he had more authority than the other gods.
There is also the fact that even the bible makes mention of quite a few of these other gods
So the "trinity" theory just doesnt cut it.

G

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Masqua,

I have just read your theory about the ‘’Jealous God’’ and I must accept you have find another herald for your preaching.

Religion is the major conspiracy from the very beginning of the Mankind’s history and although preaches about fraternity, peace, love, progress we haven’t seen yet reconcilement, peace, love and progress after the Renaissance, when the meaning of God started falling in contestation.
On the contrary, religion has managed to animate the masses. Let us remember the Crusades (from Christianity’s side) and Jihad (from the part of Islam). Even worst, religion has de-accelerated progress through the discard of science and the prosecutions of enlighteners. Let us remember the trial of Galileo. What religion asks? Narrow-mindedness. Let us remember with what fervour the Orthodox and Catholic churches were asking from their followers not to read Dan Brown’s book.
I wager than many fanatic Christians (including me), who dared to read Dan Brown’s book start questioning church’s real essence.

Not to get far off, I would like in this thread to accentuate that, in fact, there is no ‘’Jealous Gad’’. Instead, there is ‘’Jealous priesthood’’.

To syllogize my statement, let me take things from the beginning.

Let us have a look over the polytheistic religions, mainly to those of Greece, Roman Empire and Persia and let me pose a question: In what effect have these religions their citizens and subjects, relatively? Beyond from the dailies activities such as prayers, marriages etc, I would say in a very small extent. Why we never had an expansion towards the vastness of Asia to spread the ‘’Twelve ancient Greek Gods’ pantheon’’?
Roman used to do suchlike but their priorities were the mercantile roads and duels in arenas. Greeks were only cared for the city-towns perennial controversies and would never have dealt with these barbarians policies. The Persians? Well, just to satisfy their Satrap’s need for power and never to spread any religious ideology.
Yet, what happens when a polytheistic system turns into a monotheistic? The authority is going over from the King to clergy (Medieval Eras). How the Pope could obtain such a power capable to command Kings and send troops to the other side, of that time’s, Known world?

One God can be served easily from the many than having to service more Gods.

How?
If you know your neighbour, the neighbour next to your neighbour, the neighbour next to the neighbour of your neighbour, and so on, believe in one God. The summoning will be the whole town, region, country, and continent. Vice-versa, the summoning in polytheistic systems will be of small portion of followers devoted to that certain God, meaning not much could be done to those with great ideas, ideologies and outlooks.

‘’Spread word among nations’’

The first who introduced the concept of monotheism were the Hebrew. These people realised the strength of the ‘’True God’’ or (=) ‘’True Power’’ on how to direct the masses. How could the Hebrew to control the world if not their new religion that Christ used to teach wouldn’t spread? But what was Peter’s and Paul’s (right and left hands of Christ) secret mission?
To teach their new religion (monotheism) at the heart of polytheism. Rome!!! Years later their efforts proved to be fruitful. Pope, indeed, had his house in Rome (Vatican). Then the heart of polytheism, but till today the heart of Catholic Church. Their plan was successful and Pope hadn’t forgotten his part as well.

Have you ever wondered why, overnight, the Christendom shown so much interest for Israel (Holy Lands)? For the
Pilgrims?

I do not buy it!
The Christians of Jerusalem never reported of bandits on those lands. The journeys were safe under the protection of a mighty Muslim country. Bear in mind that Muslims were dependent on trade and what trade routs demand? Safe travels. So why that Crusade?

A conspiracy that continuous till the time being, which the point of the world shows Israel, a country with a national hypostasis nowadays. The World’s peace depends on that small peace of land.

Is really that Christianity?
And if that is true, what about Islam?
Islam has its origins in Christianity…
and…
the wars…
in middle east…
millions the dead…
the wars…
between Christians…
and Muslims…
millions the dead…
these deluded…
are…
were once…
brothers…
brother against…
brother…
my mind concluded…
What if all these hopes of people are fake just to accommodate one country’s old need to gain its own seat at world chessboard?

‘’A Jealous Nation’’

Dragon

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike

I have just read your theory about the ‘’Jealous God’’ and I must accept you have find another herald for your preaching.

I think you meant 'found' instead of 'find'... but I get the 'gist'

Religion is the major conspiracy from the very beginning of the Mankind’s history

I believe that human contact with the spiritual world goes much further back than the 'standard' fractured human history of a recorded 3,000 years or so, but in fact goes back as far into prehistory (through shamanism) as 50,000 to 70,000 years.

I would like in this thread to accentuate that, in fact, there is no ‘’Jealous Gad’’. Instead, there is ‘’Jealous priesthood’’.

I support that thinking 100%.

The first who introduced the concept of monotheism were the Hebrew.

Actually, the first was in Egypt with Akhenaton. There is some controversy that Moses may have brought the idea out of Egypt and into the Holy Land.

Aton and Adonai are very close, for instance. Sigmund Freud also suggest, in his book Moses and Monotheism that Moses was a priest in the cult of Aton and converted the Isrealis to that faith after the Egyptians sloughed it off.

All in all, a thoughtful post, Dragonlike, and I thank you for this and future input here.

That Islam, Christianity and Judaism fight is truly brother against brother.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Aton and Adonai are very close, for instance. Sigmund Freud also suggest, in his book Moses and Monotheism that Moses was a priest in the cult of Aton and converted the Isrealis to that faith after the Egyptians sloughed it off.

Do you think the Hebrew were converted by... let's say Akhenaton's believes while they were still under their slavery?

I mean that if the Egyptians opposed Aton as a God, then what would be best for Israelis to strike Egypt from within...

Even after their freedom, if i am not mistaken, the relations between these countries were not good. Now you mentioned it, Hebrew were reflected by that ideology...

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It seems to me that a God could not be jealous and loving at the same time.

Jealousy has no place in Love.

Jealousy would be a human trait, not a divine one, so if the Elohim said Let us make him in our likeness and image I would think the Elohim isn't the highest authority if Jealousy is on thier agenda.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
It all depends on the meaning of the word jealous.

jeal•ous - Show Spelled Pronunciation[jel-uh s] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages (often fol. by of): He was jealous of his rich brother.
2. feeling resentment because of another's success, advantage, etc. (often fol. by of): He was jealous of his brother's wealth.
3. characterized by or proceeding from suspicious fears or envious resentment: a jealous rage; jealous intrigues.
4. inclined to or troubled by suspicions or fears of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims: a jealous husband.
5. solicitous or vigilant in maintaining or guarding something: The American people are jealous of their freedom.
6. Bible. intolerant of unfaithfulness or rivalry: The Lord is a jealous God.

Source

The word jealous when used in the Biblical context that you are describing is the reference to God’s intolerance of people worshiping anything other than Him. Keep in mind that in the Biblical perspective, anything that is not of God is of Satan. God’s innate Holiness allows no room for anything that is unholy.

The word jealous used in verses describing God is the Hebrew word qanna and is only used when defining God’s intolerance of worshipping anything other than Him. The Hebrew word qana is jealousy in the negative context.

Strong's Number: 07067 Browse Lexicon

Original Word Word Origin
annq from (07065)

Transliterated Word TDNT Entry

Qanna' TWOT - 2038b
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
kan-naw'
Adjective

Definition
1. jealous (only of God)
Source

Strong's Number: 07065 Browse Lexicon

Original Word Word Origin
anq a primitive root
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry

Qana' TWOT - 2038
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
kaw-naw'
Verb

Definition
1. to envy, be jealous, be envious, be zealous
a. (Piel)
1. to be jealous of
2. to be envious of
3. to be zealous for
4. to excite to jealous anger
b. (Hiphil) to provoke to jealous anger, cause jealousy
Source

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Right, but I propose a variation, turning God into 'God'

The 'Jealous God' we know and love is a concept up for interpretation, you can take any two Christians, Muslims, Jews and their interpretation is completely different. Many of them propose a 'God of love' and are good people so there's a paradox
I'd argue you can't try and overthrow the Jealous God idea but you can transform him into 'God of love', which is pretty much what mystics have been trying to do since enslaving religion first appeared

Another curious thing about 'God of love' is that he could be a she, which fits with the total suppression of spirituality and women by the authorities and all the killing they have done to prop up their false 'Jealous God' ideas
But I'm not suggesting 'God of love' is the Goddess, per se, but a nameless androgynous unity in a symbiotic relationship! Well, you did ask

The naassene psalm sums up the story of 'God of love' in a nutshell
'She is worn away with death´s slavery, Now she has mastery and glimpses light: now she is plunged in misery and weeps. Now she is mourned, and her self rejoices. Now she weeps and is finally condemned. Now she is condemned and finally dies. And now she reaches the point where hemmed in by evil, she knows no way out. Misled, she has entered a labyrinth'

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Interesting thread!!

You would think that god would welcome all challenges to further confirm that s/he it the only true god rather than forbid the mere thought that another god
may exist.

But, who am I to critique someone else's god.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Do you guys ever get jealous?

and also get over it?

eventually getting past it?

We all do...even God...at least the God i call mine...we've worked out the jealousy thing

let's put it behind us

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Dude

self check self

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join