It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sound Card Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I am currently running a Yamaha Legacy Sound Card and was wondering if upgrading would increase my sound quality?

I would like to keep it under 200.00

The particular PC I am working on is a Pentium Celeron 2.53, 2 Gig RAM.

Any recommendations from the excellent computer members here?

Semper

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Music is very important to me. I have a digital collection that exceeds 230 GB at 192-320 kbps.

I run a Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme music card with Logitech Z-2300 speakers. I am really happy with the performance.

My card can be purchased for around $100 though you can spend more for other X-Fi versions that offer remote controls and other options. Anyway it's Sound Blasters top card.

Edn

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
That would depend on how good your speakers/headphones are. You can get a good sound card but if you have sub-par speakers it wont make a significant difference.

I've never heard of that type of sound card, is it inbuilt onto your motherboard? If it is then any new sound card will work better as on-board sound tends to pick up background sound from the electronics on the motherboard.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Semperfortis,

I think I recall you mentioning that your PC pretty much runs your home entertainment/ theater system. no?

As kinglizard mentions, the Creative X-Fi series are among the best. The X-Fi Platinum states "Perfect for home theater and entertainment – be blown away by superb CMSS-3D surround sound! ", and comes in just under the $200 mark.

Personally, I think you'd be happy with any card from the X-Fi series, but the Platinum would seem best suited for your particular needs /use.

$.02 hope this helps

[edit: spelling "suited"]

[edit on 1/21/2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thanks

I knew I would get some good advice here!!!

Yes my PC does run my entertainment center and I have excellent Bose speakers..

I'm going to get the card you have recommended tomorrow and will let you know how it comes out...

EDN, no it is not on-board... It is a decent sound card, but not the quality I am looking for in this machine..

12m8kall2c

About what we spoke of a little while ago...
I am currently closing on my new home, as soon as that is done, I'm ready to start the project we spoke of...
I have ALL kinds of great ideas..

Semper

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
What type of speaker setup do you have? Stereo? 5.1? 7.1?

For me, a Turtle Beach rivera worked wonders in getting rid of Mobo interference(used onboard card before)>

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I'm running 5.1 currently with Bose 901's

It is quite an experience, but I feel my card is holding me back from what I could have..

Now, just a note.. I do not currently have the surround sound configuration. (No room in my current den)

This is all in preparation for my new much bigger den..

Semper

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well here is the update..

I just installed the X-FI Platinum

WOW!!!!

That's really all I can say right now cause my home is filled with the most incredible music I have ever heard!!!!

Thanks for all the help!!!

I had no idea what I was missing...

Semper

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Enjoy, G. Enjoy!

Now, for the downside, you'll Never go back.

[edit: to add]
Be sure to enable /use the Crystalizer™ :sweet:

Also the the X-Fi CMSS®-3D, when you get the surrounds of course.

[edit on 1/22/2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just found the Crystalizer...

Indeed it is sweet...

This is just like being there. My Bose are humming and the sweet melodies of Loreena McKennit's Celtic sounds are filling the room...

WOW

Semper

Edn

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I saved money and got the XFi extreme music
Just as good as the other models but without the extra fancy bits and pieces which id never use. the sound quality is excellent I use it with my AKG 701's. the only downside is there arnt any GNU/Linux drivers

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Hey hey!

Looks like you got some sound advice, there semper.

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.

Poor me, I don't even have onboard audio anymore. I've got a POS HP computer, and the original HD trashed itself, and the backup copy of the installation discs that I made didn't work. Ok, so the computer really isn't a POS, but I really hate HP with their installation arrangement. (A private partition on the main HD, for installation) I'm stuck with a Bluetooth audio setup. No money right now for a sound card. I used to have SoundBlaster Audigy card, but accidentlt trashed the card with my old computer.

I guess some sound (or noise) is better than none at all. :shk:

Anyway I have Realtek HD audio supposedly, but I have tried many times to install the proper drivers, to no avail. The computer does not recognize the onboard audio. But does recognize a couple of items listed as (unknown device, that do not install drivers even using the driver search function) I might just bite the bullet and give HP a call, or email. But I know already that the warranty is voided. So any advice they give me is bound to cost a little $$.

[edit on 1/23/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Mech32,

What model HP do you have?

The sound driver shouldn't be too hard to find.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Mech32,

What model HP do you have?

HP Pavillion a1520n

I've been to Realteks site, and downloaded what I thought were the proper drivers, to no avail.

If you could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
If you want music quality, don't use Creative.
If you want the best audio in games (best positional sound and effects) get an X-Fi.

For music playing I use a Philips Sonic Edge card while I use an X-Fi for gaming.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
HP Pavillion a1520n

Try this:

If that doesn't work, post back.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

If that doesn't work, post back.

Success!

You're a true wizard!

If I could give you a "Way Above..." I would do it.

Otherwise
will have to suffice.

p.s I could swear I tried that one before. But I am probably mistaken. If I look around here, I probably had that one already. :bnghd:

and to thematrix: Thanks for the tip, but right now I'm on a budget, so the onboard will do for now.

also to add: I know in my previous post I said I was using Bluetooth audio, which was incorrect. I was using USB audio. :shk:

Again, thanks 12m8keall2c!

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
matrix,

I don't know what X-FI you have listened to, but the music flowing through my Bose 901's will bring tears to your eyes...

It is AWESOME..

I listen to a lot of Celtic music and clarity is of the utmost importance in that style of music. The clarity with the X-FI is incredible. I am just now learning all the "tweaks" and "Tunings" and I can attest it is the finest quality sound I have experienced in a long time.

Semper

join