It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green meteors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This just happened a couple of minutes ago...Just around 630 Pacific Time.

I was putting out the trash, when a green meteor flashed overhead. It went from east to west. Since there is considerable cloud cover it was fairly low. Now I've seen meteors in the past, but never a green one. This was almost emerald in color. This has got to be unusual. What mineral or chemical makeup would cause a meteor to burn green? Or was it something else?

I confess to ignorance, so let me have it.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It is generaly thought that the green color is caused by ionized oxygen and not the chemical make up of the meteor. It is the higher speed of the meteor that causes the O2 to ionize.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Ah. Thanks. Though I didn't see it for very long what with trees and hills all around, it didn't look to be going all that rapidly. Though like I said, I didn't see it for all that long. thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
This just happened a couple of minutes ago...Just around 630 Pacific Time.

I was putting out the trash, when a green meteor flashed overhead. It went from east to west. Since there is considerable cloud cover it was fairly low. Now I've seen meteors in the past, but never a green one. This was almost emerald in color. This has got to be unusual. What mineral or chemical makeup would cause a meteor to burn green? Or was it something else?

I confess to ignorance, so let me have it.

My guess would be ionization of oxygen which is greenish and probably a burning of something like Chromium or even Iron or Copper Oxide which all could be Greenish.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Man and here was me thinking of Kryptonite and Superman for a moment or 2 there.

Saw a Meteor myself on Thursday night only a small one but still it was an amazing site

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have seen such wonderful shooting stars but some of them are quite impressive with smoke trails and everything. So cool and far more common than I thought as a kid.

new topics

top topics

join