It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Stream stopped for 8 days

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Don't blame Unknown Country for calling it a hurricane. Start with the MSM.

"Hurricane sweeps across Europe"
www.cnn.com...

Look no further than CNN.com for misinformation.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
lol!!! must of been a hurricane, it even has a name!!!
again, I'd like to correct something here...as far as I know, Unknown Country, or whatever the name of Striber's site is never called it a hurricane, I asked if it was a possibility is all....

but, then maybe I got the idea from cnn...lol!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
As you will see in my post on page 1 I have a link to the satellite loop. It isn't a hurricane. It just was as powerful as one. The media gets a little out of hand with their sensationalism. I think Unknown Country just ran with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
am I writing in chinese here or something??

please read the words here....

Unknown Country, as far as I know never called this storm a hurricane...I liked to it, pointing out that there was another source stating that the gulf stream had stopped, but then I went on with my own commentary, as stupid as it might have been...it was my idea, or maybe cnn's, but it didn't come from Unknown Country!!

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The storm did have a name..Began with a K... Can't remember what exactly it was though.

But not a "Hurricane", but rather Hurrican force. equivalent to a Cat 2 or 3 so I've heard...

But this is not abnormal by any stretch of the imagination. We get and have always had in Europe, especially during January-February, a big, windy storm of 100mph+ winds at least once a decade for as far back as records go. (I might add that big storms EVERY Jan/Feb are quite common)

Don't let the media hype get to you. Climate change is real, but it has bugger all to do with people. What everyone seems to ignore is that weather, at best, has only been recorded for 2 centuries. That in itself is a pitifully small amount of time when compared to the giant cycles the planet goes through. The onyl reason it is being pushed as a human problem is that they can make ALOT of money out of "green taxes", new "green" gizmo's and other bit's and bobs.

I gurantee that even if CO2 emissions were stopped yesterday, the cycle of climate change would continue unabated.

[edit on 22/1/07 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
andy

mmm your a weather expert and you are stating that the recent storm in Britain was entirely normal?

besides your own research please show me who else has stated this?

You should have read Philip Eden's piece in the Sunday Telegraph (or was it Saturday?) - you may have found it rather enlightening

You may also wonder why the Met Office Press Release was so selective in the data it gave. For example

the last time such high wind speeds were experienced across such a large area of the UK was the Burns' Day storm 25 January 1990.

They had to say this because the last time such high wind speeds were experience in the UK had been the previous Thursday

It was the worst "storm" to hit Britain for over 17 years. It therefore had and has been proven to have had the tightest packed isobars over the UK for many years.

As above, it was actually the worst storm to hit Britain since the previous week. Sustained wind speeds were not even hurricane force - compared, for example with the Jan 2005 storm that produce sustained 90mph+ wind speeds in the Hebrides. That's equivalent to a CAT 2 Hurricane. Whereas for Thursday's storm:

The wind speeds that have affected large parts of the country today, would be described as severe gale force on the Beaufort scale.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

So, it was a severe gale. According to the Met office.

No one is stating it is a Hurricane, or a cyclone or tornado just the worst storm for nearly 2 decades, and IMHO I don’t think you can call that normal.

Don't believe the hype

In addition you stated that you believed the gulf stream didn’t stop, and it would be a good thing if it did? do you have access to different measuring systems and data than the rest of the world?

I said I wished it had stopped
I don't dispute that it may have stopped for a few days a few years ago. It apparent effect was absolutely nothing. It is currently proceeding as normal.

Also Andy what is your take on Torros research showing that the tornado's in the UK have doubled in numbers over the last two years

Torro do not claim that numbers have doubled. However we do get more tornadoes reported these days, mainly due to an increasingly aware network of observers. It's believed that in past, the majority of tornados in the UK went unreported.

Is the lack of snow on the highlands of Scotland’s and the currently closing ski resorts as a result of normal weather?[/quoyte]

The Scottish Highlands have had more snow this winter than most recent years - certainly looking the best season since 2001. The main ski season in Scotland is Feb to April.

For someone who seems to know this subject to be in charge of an organisation that says it watches the weather you seem to have very very strange views on this. I would keep the name to weather watch and not weather data or research.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinions.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
am I writing in chinese here or something??

please read the words here....

Unknown Country, as far as I know never called this storm a hurricane...I liked to it, pointing out that there was another source stating that the gulf stream had stopped, but then I went on with my own commentary, as stupid as it might have been...it was my idea, or maybe cnn's, but it didn't come from Unknown Country!!

You know, I could have sworn when I looked at the link it mentioned a hurricane - guess my brain's going. Actually, I know it has gone .....

My apologies for any confusion caused

btw as for the media calling it a hurricane - well, they'll call a snow flurry a blizzard. what d'you expect

Stu: The Germans named last Thursday's storm Kyrill. Its something they been doing for years - they designate names to all major N Atlantic storms.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If the Gulf Stream stops, The planet has a Polar Magnetic Shift, and formation of mega hurricanes as studied buy the universities in the ice core samples shown in the past occur,

Does this mean another Ice Age is coming?

Maybe this is why the Governments are denying Global Warming.

I don't think that they would tell us until it has started, so not to many people try to move to the equator. Population control with the help of mother nature.

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bufordny
If the Gulf Stream stops, The planet has a Polar Magnetic Shift, and formation of mega hurricanes as studied buy the universities in the ice core samples shown in the past occur,

No, if the gulf stream stops, the sea surface temperatures around the British Isles and Scandinavia may become a little colder than usual during the winter months. That's about it. It would mean that, for example, during the winter thus far the westerly winds we've had would be a little less mild and there would have been a bit more snow over the hills.

No. There is no evidence to suggest that this would cause a new ice age. It would mean cooler winters in NW Europe and - currently - would probably just reverse the warming trend of recent years. So we might get winters like we had in the 1980s.

Maybe this is why the Governments are denying Global Warming.

The UK Govt supports GW. ALthough not (IMO) actually because it worries about GW. It sees only £££££££ But that's for another debate

I don't think that they would tell us until it has started, so not to many people try to move to the equator. Population control with the help of mother nature.

What do you think?

;
They wouldn't need to tell us it had started. We'd know before they did. Amateur meteorologists like myself are not only in contact with professionals (both meteorologists and climatologists) on a daily basis, but also have access to much of the data they use. So it would be very obvious very quickly if anything were happening.

Far from a new ice age, all we're experiencing is milder winters - the very opposite of what would be expected if the gulf stream stopped. Which is why I keep saying I wish it would stop! ('Cos I like snow and cold, frosty, weather!
)

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I have to move to a warmer Climate due to my illness from 9/11. I am hoping to move to Texas, in the hills and river area. I just hope that in 20 years the area doesn't turn into a desert, i dont mind learning Tex-Mexican though.
Things in the states with weather is weird now. Even the hot state of Arizona is getting pounded by snow! Go figure! Even LA is seeing snow? I thought it was the land of 70+ Degrees.

Now to figure out that polar shift.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bufordny

There aren't any climate models that can accurately predict much, either way.

We just don't know.

We do know that everything is connected - and that there is an interplay between natural forces and human activities. But at this point, predictions are mainly speculation.

...Although - the Gulf Stream is a major part of the earth's climate system and it's stopping obviously will play havoc with both weather and climate.

What do you think?

My crystal ball says:

* The magnetic poles already are shifting, and look like they'll settle in the Bermuda Triangle on one side of the globe, and the Dragon's Triangle on the other.

* We're in for a wild ride, but we will survive as a species.

* The big boyz are looting big time - planning to be in space when the poop hits the blades - and expecting to come back and run the show when it all settles down again.

* Their strategy won't work.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I live in Florida on the Gulf Coast.

This worries me because I hope we don't get major Hurricanes this coming summer.

Right now it is in the 70's and has been warm all winter.

I still have air conditioning and fans going in my house.

I sure hope it won't be bad season.
Also, I wouldn't buy any shell fish or seafood that is harvested in the Gulf of Mexico for any amount of money because of the drain off from Katrina.

Maybe in 5 years or so?

[edit on 23-1-2007 by MagicaRose]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
No. There is no evidence to suggest that this would cause a new ice age. It would mean cooler winters in NW Europe and - currently - would probably just reverse the warming trend of recent years. So we might get winters like we had in the 1980s.

Actually if the current is disrupted there is evidence to suggest it would cause at least a little ice age. Depending on the length and type of disruption it could be worse.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Well , not only that evidence. Younger Dryas is believed to happen because of the same reason , NAC failing. If NAC fails then warm water won't be carried to U.S. and Europe. When the warm water vaporates it becomes like a barrier which holds the Arctic air from rolling across the continents. So again , if NAC fails , Arctic air would be released and there's a hypothesis that superstorms would form. After the storms , we would see the Ice Age. It wouldn't be big , it would last only about 500 years.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
To the OP,

How interesting that someone should report that the Gulf Stream "stopped" for 8 days, right during the last week of the Copenhagen Climate Summit!!

Anyone else think this is ironic??

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
this thread started 2 years ago, so clearly there isnt anything to do with the summit.

However, maybe a similar event may be responsible for the mad weather in the UK and NW Europe at the moment? Or was that just some winter air blowing off Siberia that was colder than usual?

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Solar flare? Any links for this? Solar flares are associated with sunspot activity.

va3stl.wordpress.com...

Yup - there they are! 38 so far this month.

EDIT: Didn't spot this thread was 2 years old!!!

[edit on 21-12-2009 by mirageofdeceit]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join