It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The End Of The Printed Book?

page: 2
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Originally posted by Togetic
I have seen, for example, next generation televisions that are less than a millimeter thick.


I know they have been getting thinner but do you have a link for info on this?


I wish I had the exact information; I did a few searches on Google and nothing much came up. As I recall, I saw it on television on the History channel about two years ago. The television is on a plastic sheet. I believe that it used some sort of biological component to get it to play the image. The problem that they had was back-lighting it.

I did find a story here that references a technology that sounds very, very similar to what I just described.




posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic

I did find a story here that references a technology that sounds very, very similar to what I just described.


Thanks for the information, and the link.



posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I agree with Armap about using a PocketPC. For me e-reading using my portable IPAQ handheld is a must. I can store a lot of different books, pdf's, etc. all in one convenient device. The software feature sets nowadays make the reading experience acceptable. I think a lot of people are attributing e-reading to sitting in front of their home PC and that would be tedious after a while definitely.

That said I still enjoy a paper novel sitting on the couch like anyone else. I think the digitization of most printed books is inevitable and will serve well as a resource for those who want it in that format.

brill



posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
I agree with Armap about using a PocketPC. For me e-reading using my portable IPAQ handheld is a must.


I have not used a pocket pc yet. But I can see where they would be convenient and handy. Should we not destroy our selves and all books get put on the pocket pc, I feel I can still envision real books, meaning paper, being on shelves in ones den, and not just in an air tight display in a museum.



posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
this is not a new idea...

Project Gutenberg (wiki)...


Project Gutenberg (often abbreviated as PG) is a volunteer effort to digitize, archive, and distribute cultural works via book scanning. Founded in 1971, it is the oldest digital library. Most of the items in its collection are the full texts of public domain books. The project tries to make these as free as possible, in long-lasting, open formats that can be used on almost any computer.


this may not be the first, but it is one that stared more than thirty years ago






posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
in long-lasting, open formats that can be used on almost any computer.


this may not be the first, but it is one that stared more than thirty years ago





Wow that's some good information thanks They see!
It is kina cool this all started back in 1971, but at this point it does seem to be on a much larger scale.



posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
but at this point it does seem to be on a much larger scale.


definitely true


having "hard copies" of everything is extremely important...

if we lost this, i feel, we would be much like the ignorant animals in 'animal farm'






posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL


having "hard copies" of everything is extremely important...

if we lost this, i feel, we would be much like the ignorant animals in 'animal farm'




wow such a wonderful comparaison They see

I don't think any one who has read that book would disagree with you as this place of discussion is all about deny ignorance.



posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
wow such a wonderful comparaison They see

I don't think any one who has read that book would disagree with you as this place of discussion is all about deny ignorance.


yes, it was a great comparison


i loved that novel and what it was all about...

so, yes, let us not be like the ignorant animals who couldn't remember (or even read / write in general) the original laws...

the animals were tricked horribly simply because they had a master propagandist (and government) working against them and, the greater reason, because they were ignorant...

let us always be informed about important matters and even the matters that are fun for us


that's my advice i guess...





posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Books are beautiful. Although I see why books have to be digitized, it can never replace the experience of curling up in a quiet corner and reading leisurely. That is why I feel that printed books will never disappear from the landscape no matter how much Google tries.

The only good thing I can say about digitized books is that it allows me access to read very rare documents that are out of print. That part is very good for research reasons, but never for pleasure.



posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
this is not a new idea...

Project Gutenberg (wiki)...


Project Gutenberg (often abbreviated as PG) is a volunteer effort to digitize, archive, and distribute cultural works via book scanning. Founded in 1971, it is the oldest digital library. Most of the items in its collection are the full texts of public domain books. The project tries to make these as free as possible, in long-lasting, open formats that can be used on almost any computer.


this may not be the first, but it is one that stared more than thirty years ago







Hey..thanks for that information.

I had no idea about idea about this project and just checked out their site.
I guess I'll be doing a lot of downloading and reading. That is awesome!
(But I'll still borrow and buy books.
)




top topics



 
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join