It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beckham coming to America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
MLS soccer is so dull. It puts me to sleep. Competitive? Sure it's competitive, 5 minutes out of every 45, sure. They spend most of their time doing nothing with the ball. Compared to European, American soccer is just w/e.

He's just too good for it, and I mean on the field, not his social status. I'm sure he could be happy in America... But it's just silly. It's going to take a slight adjustment for him to go from playing with Zidane and Ronaldo and Raul, to playing next to guys in the MLS.

I guess they will be hoping Beckham doesn't get near any TV. If he happens to see an MLS game and how boring it looks, he's not going to come.

It would make sense if he was all fluff, but IMO, he's not all fluff, he's a star player, really earned my respect over the years. Maybe his form is bad now? I heard he was warming the bench a lot now. Well MLS will only drag his form down further.

I'll believe it when I see him on the field, just unbelievable. Why do you think he is doing this?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I think the MLS is Becks best option. He is too expensive for average European clubs and he is just not good enough for the elite clubs that could afford him. Even though his contract with the LA Galaxy probably has tons of loopholes, if he can walk away with 10% of $250 million, it is till much more than he will make playing for Portsmouth or Totenham.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
With Beckham your paying for his marketing ability. His performance is still at a very good standard maybe mid to low English, Italian, Spanish league as you said not for top european clubs.

The MLS will benifit as money will pour in from advertising, sales and blah blah.

His performance will probably be exiting maybe first few months as he will probably have more time to think on the ball then he will be conditined to the style of play and just blend in so to speak, although with his knowledge he will find ways of being smart.

And you Americans do have two fantastic leagues, although its not in North America! its in Argentina and Brazil although they are not as physically trained like the europeans the technical skill is beyond this planet.

I will remind you of the FIFA World Club Championship 2006

Santos 1 - 0 FC Barcelona

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just with the world cup and seeing all of these old players doing very good (and realizing they have spots in the top clubs) in their 30s, Zidane, Maldini, Roberto Carlos, Cafu and others, I thought he had more years at the top levels left in him. His Man U team mate Yorke was out there running the midfield and very old for football. Beckham doesn't rely on his speed, and he hasn't gotten injured much at all. He's been around these same guys that play football seemingly forever. I always assumed he would be exactly like Zidane in terms of longevity and stick around Europe until his mid 30s...

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
Just with the world cup and seeing all of these old players doing very good (and realizing they have spots in the top clubs) in their 30s, Zidane, Maldini, Roberto Carlos, Cafu and others, I thought he had more years at the top levels left in him. His Man U team mate Yorke was out there running the midfield and very old for football. Beckham doesn't rely on his speed, and he hasn't gotten injured much at all. He's been around these same guys that play football seemingly forever. I always assumed he would be exactly like Zidane in terms of longevity and stick around Europe until his mid 30s...

I love football and I have waited for a football post

Yes, although everyone is different, I guess at that age you have to keep the enthusiasm up in training (which is not easy) and plus your body is starting to work against you. IMHO Zidane was definately at his peak World Cup 98 although leading up to his retirement he was losing speed and determination although he continued to pull the strings on the ball and split defences consistantly and was easily hot property.

Beckham did not flourish at Real IMHO because he never adapted to the style of play. English league is less complicated in the fact that it involves direct passages of play, its highly physical, and the tempo is usually consistant (usually quick). On the other hand the Spanish, Italian and French leagues place high emphasis on tactics and the manager manipulates the game alot more and that requires alot more flexibility and focus on the players.

For Beckham this change was unfortunate, you see football these days is just big business and the people at the top don't care about these issues they just want results.

And I think it was harsh for Steven to drop him, in fact I think he didn't like him to be honest because no professional would waist a highly technical player with experience and leadership like that, Beckham should have been a rotating member of the squad no doubt.

MLS will benefit on the pitch and of the pitch
because it is a young, developing league and Beckham can influence it for the better.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Selmer2]

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have never seen much of the other leagues just champions league and EPL. That is interesting.. the differences you pointed out in the leagues. I always felt that foreigners do much better in the EPL, than English do in Spanish/Italian leagues from what little I see.

But yeah, It's not as farfetched as I thought, him coming to play here. I'm totally looking forward to it, if they will be so kind to put his games on cable TV, rofl.

I love to talk about soccer too, I just don't stay up to date very well on it (As you can see with my reaction to the David Beckham news) because it doesn't come on TV much, and not on the news either. I always catch the moments and highlights on the internet, months after they happen.

Football is a great sport, and I normally just enjoy watching the art of it all. Rarely getting into the players business, but this news was just startling at first.

Beckham. Into Sherringham! AND SOLKSJAER HAS WON IT!

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Beckham. Into Sherringham! AND SOLKSJAER HAS WON IT!

****Man United 98***
Oh my! there will probably never be a better team. won the EPL, the Domestic Cup and the Champions Cup.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The funny thing about Beckham, remember ages ago George Best came out talking about him. I think it was along the lines of:

""Beckham cannot kick with his left foot, can't head the ball, can't tackle and he doesn't score enough goals. Otherwise he's all right." I think he forgot to mention the bit about him having no dribbling skills.

Like you say "Novise", he will not be playing against the highest class oppenants. No offence to the players in the MLS but it is not of the standard of the La Liga or Premiership. So really, either he brings out the best in everyone else or his performaces will drop to a lower standard. Personaly, I think he is rather complacent so there is a good chance his standards will drop.

He will make the league money, makes you wonder whats going to happen with him until the end of the season.

According to either Calderon whos high up the Real Madrid board, or Capello. Beckham is dumped now and is being frozen out the 1st team.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yes he is rather complacent. It must be weird to coach him, he can go in a game from seeming a non-factor (you can't tell if he's trying or not), and then out of nowhere gets you a result on a free kick or an assist.

Well the MLS defenses usually keep the defensive zones well organized and they cover the width pretty well, it's not like they can just double mark Beckham. If they do he will linger 40 yards out from the goal, and that will screw up the defensive zone or create tons of space in the midfield. I am saying that I think they will be forced to put one man on him, and he is good enough to create space with that, even though he's not famous for his dribbling or creating space, he's good enough to do it in MLS.

I think he's going to bring a deadly element to these games, especially with the MLS lacking quality in long balls and shots from distance.

He seems a cool character off the field, but we've all seen him play dirty and attract red cards. He's going to have a target on him I think...

The fields I assume are usually shorter and narrower than European fields as well. Hmm, dunno if that would help or hinder him.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think Capello had alot to do with him being dumped.As Italian football fans know you have to *&^% bricks for that guy to accept you into a team.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Yes he is rather complacent. It must be weird to coach him, he can go in a game from seeming a non-factor (you can't tell if he's trying or not), and then out of nowhere gets you a result on a free kick or an assist.

Well the MLS defenses usually keep the defensive zones well organized and they cover the width pretty well, it's not like they can just double mark Beckham. If they do he will linger 40 yards out from the goal, and that will screw up the defensive zone or create tons of space in the midfield. I am saying that I think they will be forced to put one man on him, and he is good enough to create space with that, even though he's not famous for his dribbling or creating space, he's good enough to do it in MLS.

I think he's going to bring a deadly element to these games, especially with the MLS lacking quality in long balls and shots from distance.

He seems a cool character off the field, but we've all seen him play dirty and attract red cards. He's going to have a target on him I think...

The fields I assume are usually shorter and narrower than European fields as well. Hmm, dunno if that would help or hinder him.

Whether Beckham will be a success off the field in terms of drawing fans to football in the US is a big question, but he will certainly be a success on the field. Even though he is not as great as he used to be, he is still good enough to play in the starting XI for almost any team in Europe. This cannot be said of any current MLS player.

MLS is also a business. I hate to sound cynical, but MLS has a lot to gain by Beckham looking good, and a lot to lose if he does not perform. That being said, look to MLS referees to give him special treatment which means he will be lightly marked so he can hit some spectacular crosses and make the game interesting.

new topics

top topics

join