It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can God Create a Being Greater than Himself?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Some say everything is possible with God. I like to believe this, too, but sometimes I have some doubts.

I generally believe that God cannot create a Being greater than Himself for this reason: the Supernatural source of creation of parts of all or all cannot have parts of all or all create the source.

Do you have doubts about everything being possible, like God dying or God dying and other lives staying alive?

List your doubts or beliefs regarding everything being possible.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
C.S Lewis once said God can do anything, but he can't answer a nonsensical question such as " how many miles are in the color blue?"

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well, I guess the obvious one is that if can't create something bigger than himself, then he is not omnipotent.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
Well, I guess the obvious one is that if can't create something bigger than himself, then he is not omnipotent.

melatonin, logical response. Is omnipotence relative? Is God omnipotent to humans but not to Himself? As we scratch our heads in high school for an answer in calculus, does God scratch His head for a new design of a new Universe?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
well
this is a tricky question
so, i'd say said omnipotent being would simply create another omnipotent being who is also immune to the powers of the original omnipotent being

so, let's say there is a god
and that god creates another god
but this new god is not subject to the powers of the original god
that is how it would be done

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
well
this is a tricky question
so, i'd say said omnipotent being would simply create another omnipotent being who is also immune to the powers of the original omnipotent being

so, let's say there is a god
and that god creates another god
but this new god is not subject to the powers of the original god
that is how it would be done

madnessinmysoul, interesting reply. If God were initially omnipotent, this would eliminate the possibility of creating a being more omnipotent, unless there was an outside force. But if God were initially omnipotent, there could be no outside force. Thus, God cannot create a being more omnipotent or equal in omnipotence.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
Can God Create a Being Greater than Himself?

I say: yes. However ....

I think the word "God" means different things to different people, due to their chosen perspectives and opinions. And both our perspectives and opinions are determined by what our personal priorities are.

So, the word "God" is a subjective term, that does not always mean the same thing to everyone (obviously, since we don't always agree on "God")

Also, I think the words "Being" & "Greater" are also subjective terms. Being as in one independant consciousness, or a large number operating as one intelligent organism? The word "Greater" could mean different things as well. "Greater" as in larger, more powerfull, more knowledgable, more apt at creating, etc....

So people can read the question, and try to interpret what the original poster's intent was, or they can read the question, and their mind may apply different attributes to some of the words, changing the question's intent from being what the original question was.

It may sound like semantics, i know.

I generally believe that God cannot create a Being greater than Himself for this reason: the Supernatural source of creation of parts of all or all cannot have parts of all or all create the source.

Unless it were possible for God to ..... do something differant

Do you have doubts about everything being possible, like God dying or God dying and other lives staying alive?

List your doubts or beliefs regarding everything being possible.

I do not doubt god. Therefore i need not hesitate. I save alot of time this way.

Here is my list of doubts regarding what is possible:

This concludes my list.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Esoteric Teacher, thank you for your reply. If everything were possible, how did the word "impossible" enter meaning. I believe all elements of meaning have at least partial truths to them even at the Universal and Supernatural level since they have entered the mind of at least one individual.

If God gave up power, that is, omnipotence, He would become at least a partial slave. I do not think God would let this happen; more directly, I do not think it can happen; furthermore, I believe all Universes would evaporate and cease to exist. Long live God and His incontrovertible and irrefutable Omnipotence.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Can God make a Borrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it?

Homer Simpson
The Simpsons

A great mind indeed.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Esoteric Teacher, thank you for your reply. If everything were possible, how did the word "impossible" enter meaning.

Easy. Humans were not really paying attention to what god was saying.

I'm possible = I'm + possible = I'mpossible = Impossible.

just a thought.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Can God make a Borrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it?

Homer Simpson
The Simpsons

Yes. EVERY darn time that burrito hurts! But the rest of the family like 'em hot. So God continues to make 'em hot.

A great mind indeed.

That's highly debatable...especially when one is hungry!

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Esoteric Teacher, thank you for your reply. If everything were possible, how did the word "impossible" enter meaning.

just a thought.

I thought that thought.

Christ said: 'With GOD ALL things are possible.' I trust Christ and I do my best to not prevent any miracle with my own negative god-boxing thoughts.

K.I.S.S.

LYL

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

just a thought.

Esoteric Teacher, your formula of tying all possible pronunciations with spelling does not work most of the time. For example, one can divide the word "incoherent" into "in" and "coherent" and thus possibly say that "incoherent" is so "coherent" that it is inside "coherent." In reality, however, "incoherent" is the opposite of "coherent." Your formula, although creative, would eventually eliminate all meaning in a language.

Impossibilities do exist. I cannot run through the maximum diameter of the Sun within 1 second while wearing leg weights and drinking a diet pepsi.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

If God gave up power, that is, omnipotence, He would become at least a partial slave.

A profound statement indeed. I have many thoughts on this, however i think it best if people think about it more, instead of someone giving them their opinion on it.

AND ALL the King's horses and ALL the King's men are trying to put that egg back together again ....

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Esoteric Teacher, your formula of tying all possible pronunciations with spelling does not work most of the time.

it is not my formula, but rather one i adopted from god's books. And the only reason it doesn't work is due to the perception of the one attempting it. I am by no means trying to say you are in the wrong state of mind.

Sir pants = serpants. According to the buy bull it was the serpant who caused sir to wear pant.

Impossibilities do exist. I cannot run through the maximum diameter of the Sun within 1 second while wearing leg weights and drinking a diet pepsi.

It is by your choice that this is impossible for god. I think your god can do it. And thus, so can you. Since there is no measurable degree of seperation between god and anything, so can you.

But, if it seems to hard at first, then perhaps you should practice and build up to it ...

Then allow yourself 10 seconds, and try doing it without drinking the pepsi.

eventually you can get better at it. ..

top topics

join