It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Dilation and Universality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I just had a thought but do not have the background enough to contemplate the truth of the thought. But to illustrate it I'll invent a scenario.

Basically the closer to the speed of light you go the closer time approaches "zero".

So three objects are moving at three different speeds to eachother.

One is 2x one is x and one is half-x (0.5x).

Would the total time passage between each of them be equal?

That is to say if 10 years passes for 2x which began its journey first - woudl 10 years have passed for x because it began its journey second but is moving slower (so more time passes in a given moment) and would 10 years have passed for 0.5x because it began its journey third and since it moves the slowest it is therefore passing the most time relatively to everyone else.

Because the faster you go the less time you experience relative to an outside stationary point such as ... 1 second for you...it's 10 seconds for that stationary point.

I'm wondering what implications that has for the universe's expansion and likewise its effect on the various stars and such moving through the universe which travel at different speeds.

Are they travelling at different speeds ONLY to equalize the perterbations to be expected by the universe's most likely unequal inflation.

So parts moving faster began inflating first, parts moving slower inflated last and as a whole it makes a "perfect sphere inflating".

But in reality it's a bumpy and irregular spheroid like an explosion or such.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreiMaurer
I just had a thought but do not have the background enough to contemplate the truth of the thought. But to illustrate it I'll invent a scenario.

Basically the closer to the speed of light you go the closer time approaches "zero".

So three objects are moving at three different speeds to eachother.

One is 2x one is x and one is half-x (0.5x).

Would the total time passage between each of them be equal?

That is to say if 10 years passes for 2x which began its journey first - woudl 10 years have passed for x because it began its journey second but is moving slower (so more time passes in a given moment) and would 10 years have passed for 0.5x because it began its journey third and since it moves the slowest it is therefore passing the most time relatively to everyone else.

sort of, in a vacume light will always travel away from you at a set speed, speed is time x distance, if you still cover the same distance, in order for light to maintain its speed time must change, and so it takes longer for a minute to pass for you than it does for a person traveling at a slower speed.

I'm wondering what implications that has for the universe's expansion and likewise its effect on the various stars and such moving through the universe which travel at different speeds.

Are they travelling at different speeds ONLY to equalize the perterbations to be expected by the universe's most likely unequal inflation.

i don't think so, space itself is expanding, the matter in the universe is moving in sync with it, but the matter is also traveling through space and is held together in clumps by gravity. space might expand at a uniform rate but because the matter in it is moving aswell the relitive speeds to each other would differ.

also, the speed of the expansion of space doesn't affect time in this way as the law only applies to objects moving through space, not to the actual space itself, so an object may well travel faster than c if the speed of the expansion of the universe is taken into account.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Well I'm aware they say the expansion is faster or slower depending on a specific direction...not sure if you can expound upon that?

new topics

join