It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australians face snake invasion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Australian wildlife officials warn that a serious drought is driving tens of thousands of snakes into urban areas.

(BBC)-Many venomous reptiles are moving into residential and business areas in search of moisture.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Last week a 16-year-old boy in Sydney died from a bite by an Eastern Brown, one of the world's deadliest snakes.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Many parts of Australia have been hard-hit by the drought, described as the worst for more than 100 years.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Experts have warned that an army of snakes is on the move, looking for water. Driven by extreme thirst they have been discovered in gardens, bedrooms and even Australian shopping centres.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Hospitals have reported a rising number of snakebites. Toxicologists have said there have been 60 serious cases since September.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The drought is making snakes far more active - three people have died in Australia in recent weeks after being bitten.

news.bbc.co.uk...

A 16-year-old schoolboy from Sydney had a heart attack, and died a short time later, after being attacked by an Eastern Brown snake, which injects a lethal venom and is one of the world's most dangerous reptiles.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
That is a fantasticaly put together piece of news.

I never knew Oz was in such a grip of global warming and a drought so severe even the reptiles cannot cope...

Thanks for the effort you put into that one, as now when my sister says it a drought order where she lives, i can see why!

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The drought is nothing new here in Oztralia its been occuring every 7-10 years since the whtie settlers arrived. The sheer number of snakes rampaging toward towns and cities is something new and thier unrelenting advance will test the Snake Squad out. I think they will be out numbered by the 2 legged snakes walking around Canberra but

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I live on the Central Coast (just north of Sydney) and we have a lot of bush around us. We are seeing huge blue-tongued lizards and various snakes all around. My backyard is landscaped with natural bush rock and Aussie native plants and trees. I have had 3 red belly blacks sighted only last week and WIRES came out...the snakes could not be found...we think they live in the cracks and crevices between the rocks...nice and cool by day...warm to bask on at dusk.

Even the cicadas are louder and more plentiful this year. We have had them in our trees before but this year they are in plague proportions and are so deafening they actually make it uncomfortable to hang the washing out. My ears ring and then begin to itch with the decibel level. Very weird !!

Last week a car stopped out front of my house and a lady picked up a large tortoise just leisurely strolling across the road. She gave him to me and I put him in my frog pond (I have six species of frog at the moment).
So I am thinking that the creek across the road in the bush is now dry.

We are also getting lots of different birds coming closer to the coast seeking food and water too. A few months ago I had a little blue (yes blue) kookaburra sunning and diving in the pond...I rang the local wildlife people and confirmed that he was inded a long way from home. He is normally found closer to the QLD border.

Lots of wallabies and other critters coming out of the bush too...really sad to see this little babies ending up as road kill.

top topics

join