It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed Arizona Law Would Define Armed Minutemen As "Domestic Terrorists"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
An Arizona state lawmaker, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, (D-Phoenix), has proposed a bill that would make groups such as the Minutemen guilty of domestic terrorism if they were found to be carrying weapons while patrolling for illegal activity. Infractions would result in a six month prison sentence. Opponents say that the bill is so broad that it could be interpreted to include a rancher driving across his range with a rifle in his truck, groups such as the Pink Pistols, and neighborhood watch groups.

www.alipac.us

An Arizona lawmaker has introduced a bill to revise the state's statutes on organized crime and fraud by defining "domestic terrorism" in such a way that members of the Minuteman Project or other border-patrol groups could be prosecuted and forced to serve a minimum six-month jail term.

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Phoenix, introduced HB 2286 in the Arizona House on Thursday.

Sinema, formerly of the Green Party, had earlier submitted a bill asking the legislature to make changes to a law used to prosecute customers of immigrant smugglers as conspirators under Arizona's human trafficking law.

HB 2286 reads:

Sec. 2. Title 13, chapter 23, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 13-2320, to read:

13-2320. Domestic terrorism; classification

A. An individual or group of individuals commits domestic terrorism if the individual or group of individuals are not affiliated with a local, state or federal law enforcement entity and associate with another individual or group of individuals as an organization, group, corporation or company for the purpose of patrolling to detect alleged illegal activity or to individually patrol for the purpose of detecting alleged illegal activity and if the individual or group of individuals is armed with a firearm or other weapon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some of you may discount this report because it was reported by World Net Daily, among others. Before you do, read the other sources and you will see that it is a fact.

I don't know what this person's motivation is, but it sounds like she is an anti-gun person. The law certainly seems to infringe upon our Second Amendment rights. And the fact that an overzealous prosecutor could use it against neighborhood watch groups and others is troubling. It also does not limit the definition of weapons as firearms, so it is conceivable that knives, baseball bats, and a steel-tipped boot could also be included. Once again, the focus is being directed at the wrong people by misguided lawmakers.

Related News Links:
www.phxnews.com
lighthouseblog.blogs.com
www.azleg.gov
www.freedomsphoenix.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

[edit on 20-1-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Boy, this is too rich.

American citizens who exercise their Constitutionally protected rights are going to be guilty of a crime. Every citizen has the right to own and bear arms and an obligation to report illegal activity and has the power of citizen's arrest.

You gotta love those Democrats.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hope it will never pass. It's near impossible. If it passes, who will enforce it? The feds? Well, american feds protecting illegals mexicans?
Arizona people will rise against this with their second amendment if they try to enforce it.

Just TRY IT.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This seems kina sick to me. Going to punish some one with six months in jail for trying to protect our borders. And whats going to happen to the people coming across the borders illegally? Is that suppose to be ok? I hope someone this person cares for is the victim of the next terror attack.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
So patrolling to detect illegal activity is now defined as domestic terrorism? WELL then. Guess I better go tell the neighborhood watch they are now all terrorists, cause they went out to keep an eye on the neighboorhood and one of them had a pocket knife. And oh, that poor old lady that got killed next door? Too bad, no one watching anymore and the police couldn't get there on time. So much for neighbors watchin your back. :shk:

Of all the bubbleheaded, rediculous demands I've heard from the GOP, at least there appears to be SOME good intent. But this? This is outright Democratic gouging to take what little ability the people had to police crime themselves and chuck it out the window. They know the border patrol can't do the job on their own, but yet to satisfy their lust for more illegal aliens, they're gonna kill any chance that the people themselves can do anything about it? And on top of that, call them domestic terrorists?

Seeing as the DoD can now execute terrorists on hearsay, it looks like the new Terrorist Minutemen better be ready to be rounded up, carted off and exterminated. Oh my.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
OK, so if you're a border guard you get 12 years for shooting a mexican drug dealer? Now this. It is obvious to me that the government wants this for whatever reasons (greed I'm sure).

The lack of children seems to be a factor. A growing economy needs people, plain and simple. Abortion, birth control, two bread winners per family, have forced us to import labor. Of course all of those things are born of the women's 'Lib' movement. 'Liberation' has led to captivity of our nation to foreigners. Ironic.

Why don't the politicians just face the music and come up with a plan.
That's right, they have a plan, they just think we sheeple don't need to know about it. We're not as 'smart' as them. Of, By, and For the People is Gone! The Elitists have gained control, just like they always have down through the Ages.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Humm, I see this as an attempt to stop any militia known groups in America from gathering to help American and America citizens, not only minute man.

This is very interesting and something to be worry about, so . . . I imagine that if is a time when we citizens have to band together like in case of a disaster to protect each other we can very easyly be deemed "terrorist"?

Because as usual when stupid bills like this one comes around they usually are nothing more that to infringe in constitutional rights for whomever the politician has been lobbied by.

Somebody should check in the background of the Democratic Representative and see from where her campaign money comes from.

As usual people are not stupid and they know exactly what a bill like this will do to the rights to arms will do.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
They can try that all they want, but they'd have to pass it by the Judicial Branch since it does indeed breach the 2nd Amendment. I'm shocked that such a thing could happen. If it should pass, I'm sure that there will be a huge public outcry. Many will line up, guns in hand of course, on their own property, wondering what will happen next.

Wow. I just can't really begin to imagine what something like this could mean...

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Boy, this is too rich.

American citizens who exercise their Constitutionally protected rights are going to be guilty of a crime. Every citizen has the right to own and bear arms and an obligation to report illegal activity and has the power of citizen's arrest.

So Grady please tell me what constitutionally protected rights are involved? This bill is aimed at vigilante groups and individuals.... two very different things from your average citizen. It is one thing for an individual to make a citizen's arrest, but this is not the same thing, vigilante's tend to try and usurp government powers and functions. It is not like the government has asked this group for their help, they have taken it onto themselves, and that I would suggest is the crux of the issue.

It does no one any good, either the American (or for that matter the Mexcian) government or the illegals or the people whose land it is to have an unsupervised armed group out playing cowboy. Inevitably somebody is going to get hurt.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by grover]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
[]bThis bill is aimed at vigilante groups and individuals.... two very different things from your average citizen.

Individuals ARE average citizens, if you had been properly researching the background of the Minutemen you would find that they are made up of average citizens who are disgusted with the non-enforcement of borber laws that allows illegals to cross with impunity while allowing Corporations to profit from hiring illegals.

In case you all missed it, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Phoenix, is formerly of the Green Party. Most likely she smokes too much pot to think properly.

It does no one any good, either the American (or for that matter the Mexcian) government or the illegals or the people whose land it is to have an unsupervised armed group out playing cowboy. Inevitably somebody is going to get hurt.

Why yes, inevitably someone will get hurt ...

... like the U.S. Border Guards that were sentenced to jail for shooting an Illegal Immigrant Drug Smuggler.

... like the children that are collateral damage to the Gang driven Drug Territory wars all over the U.S.A.

... like the people that are smuggled into the U.S.A. to serve as forced labor, from prostitutes to seamstresses.

... like the American Citizen who can't find work because all the jobs are taken by Illegal Immigrants who work for much less money.

... like the people that have to drive 20 miles to an Emergency Room because the State/County had to shut down the local hospital due to Illegal Immigrants refusing to pay for healthcare.

... like the once clean streets that have become littered with filth because the Illegal Immigrants don't care about litter or pollution.

Shall I go on?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I was referring to vigilante groups and individual vigilante's...your average citizen is not a vigilante.

As for your slam of Ms. Sinema, that was totally unnecessary.

Whether the border is not enforced is a matter of opinion but me personally I don't want some damned fool cracker armed with a gun out and playing cops and robber near me. The real cops are bad enough without some macho dude getting in the way.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Sinema's bill is utter crap and unconstitutional, not to mention it doesn't jive with Arizona's open carry or conceal laws. This bill makes you a terrorist if someone was in your backyard and you went out to look with a gun.

This garbage has no chance of passing.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I really do not care about this issue one way or the other, all I am trying to point out that if you read it carefully the target is vigilantes, individuals and groups which as far as I can see it is good. Allowing such groups as the Minutemen free reign sets a dangerous precedent. The south, where I am has a very unsavory history of vigilantism as does the west... if you want the law to do their job give them the money and people to do it with, AND that is the gist of this, Bush has made a big deal of "homeland security" but for the most part when it comes to the actual funding of it (including the borders) he falls far short. The northern border has the same basic problem... too few people to do the job because they have not been funded properly but that still does not justify vigilantes.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Boy, this is too rich.

Keep laughing but there is something going on that will turn us into martial law and suspend the constitution. it's out there on the internet but I'm not looking it up. You can if you're interested

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Bush has made a big deal of "homeland security" but for the most part when it comes to the actual funding of it (including the borders) he falls far short. The northern border has the same basic problem... too few people to do the job because they have not been funded properly but that still does not justify vigilantes.

Wait until we merge all north america, then he'll raise by over 200% the budget for homeland security and police forces. He don't allow budget for it because he wants more and more illegal immigrants, when we merge, he'll raise the budget.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I really do not care about this issue one way or the other, all I am trying to point out that if you read it carefully the target is vigilantes, individuals and groups which as far as I can see it is good

We already have plenty of laws on the books in regards to controlling vigilantes and hate groups, and there's little reason to make more fear mongering draconian laws that seek to turn this country into Orwell's 1984.

Those who give up their liberty for safety deserve neither, and they will end up building a gulag to live in.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
putting RFID clips in the Illegal aliens first as they are captured in the U.S. then they could be tracked. once this is done then the rest of us will be chipped.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Grady don't you mean commucrats.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I much rather have some "damned fool" patrolling our border than no fool at all. Do you think our Police and other Law Enforcement Officers are rocket scientists, umm, I don't think so. No law enforcement agency in the US can deal with illegal immigration except for ICE, this is the reason why the minutemen are needed. ICE can do near to nothing to control illegal immigration due to funds given so the battle at present is helpless.

Grover why are you against anyone who gets in the way of an illegal attempting to immigrate and nationlize. If you are the PC Police where is your badge? Why can't Citizens of the US confront ILLEGAL Citizens? Is it so we can all be politically correct or is it so that US corporations and businesses can get manual labor for next to nothing?

As far as Im concerned if there were any "domestic terrorists" here it would be our government officials and corperate interests who are keeping middle and lower class worker's wages and benefits hostage for the last several decades.

How many people have the minutemen shot Grover? And who's rights are the minutemen violating anyways? Illegals are attempting to steal what is rightfully not theirs, they are being caught in the act, and deserve to be punished not rewarded!

"Those who give up their liberty for safety deserve neither, and they will end up building a gulag to live in."

I agree with this too Regen however, this to me in regards to illegal immigration means that Americans are finally stepping up and accepting the liberty they are ENTITLED while at the same time respecting peoples indivual rights. I guess I am just more optimistic to a solution to this problem than most on the left.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MooneyBravo
Grady don't you mean commucrats.

Repblocrats, same smelly turd which comes in red or blue.
Idiotcrats are the ones who elect them, comes in one flavor...dumb.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join