It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Praise Jesus--His Work Through Others

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just wanted to praise our Lord and Savior by examining how He has changed this world...how many esteemed people of our history can we note who have followed his teachings and influenced the world in a positive way?

1) Ghandi
2) Martin Luther King
3) ?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well, I'll name a couple that you won't hear anywhere much, that have likely changed the world in areas where others have failed. Google them. Kent is in jail and Gene died back in 2005, yet his and his wife's teachings still air on pax at 1:00AM EST on weekdays.

3) Dr Kent Hovind
4) Dr Gene Scott

AND

5) Ray Comfort
6) Kirk Cameron (Way of the Master)

None of these men will be worshiped as gods or have statues cast in the likeness of them. They have done and will do a lot though.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
um
gandhi didn't follow the teachings of christianity per say

didn't he say

I am a proud staunch Sanatani Hindu.

and

I am unable to identify with orthodox Christianity. I must tell you in all humility that Hinduism, as I know it, entirely satisfies my soul, fills my whole being, and I find solace in the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads that I miss even in the Sermon on the Mount....I must confess to you that when doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and when I see not one ray of light on the horizon I turn to the Bhagavad Gita, and find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. My life has been full of external tragedies and if they have not left any visible and indelible effect on me, I owe it to the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita.

and don't forget this gem

It is impossible for me to reconcile myself to the idea of conversion after the style that goes on in India and elsewhere today. It is an error which is perhaps the greatest impediment to the world’s progress toward peace … Why should a Christian want to convert a Hindu to Christianity? Why should he not be satisfied if the Hindu is a good or godly man?

sure, he held "christ's christianity" (as he called it) in high regard
but gandhi followed the ideals of hinduism

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseSheep
3) Dr Kent Hovind

I guess you support 'lying for jesus'.

He's not even a doctor, his PhD is from a diploma mill.

5) Ray Comfort
6) Kirk Cameron (Way of the Master)

haha, those of the divine banana.

I guess rationality and logical arguments don't enter into your measurement of greatness.

None of these men will be worshiped as gods or have statues cast in the likeness of them. They have done and will do a lot though.

As long as Kirk and Ray hold the divine banana in their hands, I think we should make statues of them...

Hovind can be placed on a plinth with a pair of dinosaurs.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
*watches as the resident antichrists enter the thread*

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll

Wow, nice rebuttle.

Hovind is a liar, he is a criminal who is serving 10 years for tax evasion. He is also not a doctor - he has no PhD from an accredited university.

remember the 'render unto caesar' thing your guy said.

Kirk and Ray will always be a great example of the shallowness of criticism of evolution with the divine banana. They deserve to be deified for it.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

now that is a blatant smear right there

in legal terms that's called defamation

just because we disagree with your religious beliefs doesn't give you the right to hatefully label us

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
in legal terms that's called defamation
just because we disagree with your religious beliefs doesn't give you the right to hatefully label us

You mean like the way you defame Jesus on this website at every turn, the way you put Christianity down with all your smartass flip remarks, the way you try to prove Jesus wasn't who he said he was......in every religious thread. Every single freaking one. You're a little, high school pipsqueak, with a smart, disrespectful mouth, who is very slowly but surely paving his own way to Hell, and gathering tons of disrespect on this site......every quote you've written on this site is being written into your "book of life". It's all being used against you.

You're being labeled the same way you label Christians.
You are an antichrist. Any Christian who reads your drivel understands this.

You're not fooling me.........you come into this thread looking for answers, and when you can't find them you rebuke anything that has Jesus name on it....you come to destroy people's faith, you come to testify against the Truth.

You and your friends are the antichrist.

Does not this line from the NT describe your position perfectly?

John 2:22
Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.

Madnessinmysoul = antichrist
Melatonin = antichrist
Just accept it.....you're evil and wicked. It's written all over your posts.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by rocknroll]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.

Melatonin = antichrist

I guess Ghandi wasn't a good choice by the OP then...

You are a great advertisment for your faith. I raised a few reason why I don't think Hovind is a good example of someone who conforms to Jesus' teachings, I mention why Cameron and Comfort are not really great examples, therefore I am an 'anti-christ'?

So, according to your reading of the NT, everyone who is not a christian is an anti-christ. Cool. Even though I don't question that some of his teachings were good, I am a satan worshipper. Nice.

Such black and white thinking is not good for a person you know.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

You mean like the way you defame Jesus on this website at every turn, the way you put Christianity down with all your smartass flip remarks, the way you try to prove Jesus wasn't who he said he was......in every religious thread.

actually, i don't do it in every religious thread
i specifically opened a thread to question the existence of jesus for a reason
it's not defimation to question the historicity of a figure
it would be defamation if i said "jesus was a child molestor" just because i felt like it

Every single freaking one. You're a little, high school pipsqueak, with a smart, disrespectful mouth, who is very slowly but surely paving his own way to Hell, and gathering tons of disrespect on this site......every quote you've written on this site is being written into your "book of life". It's all being used against you.

again, i only put that in 1 thread
hell, most of the time i actually play along in a religious discussion

and now you attack my age
so i'm in highschool
big deal
i don't care that i'm young
but don't attack the fact that i'm in highschool
it's unbecoming

You're being labeled the same way you label Christians.
You are an antichrist. Any Christian who reads your drivel understands this.

i've labeled christians as nothing more than misguided

You're not fooling me.........you come into this thread looking for answers, and when you can't find them you rebuke anything that has Jesus name on it....you come to destroy people's faith, you come to testify against the Truth.

oh
see
that's the thing
i don't come here to destroy people's faith
i come here to voice what i think is true, and i even point out that i may be mistaken
sure, i have a problem with religion
but that's because i think religion is corossive, woop dee doo i have an opinion
i don't claim to have the truth, neither should you
arrogance is also unbecoming

You and your friends are the antichrist.

my two closest friends are a devout presbyterian and a devout roman catholic

o, see
i think that this line fits my position badly
i don't deny that "jesus" is the christ in the framework of christian mythos
i simply deny that said figure is historical

Melatonin = antichrist

no, i'm not antichrist
i'm anti CHRISTIANITY
i'm against repressive belief systems
i'm actually anti-religion

then again, i guess i won't convince a close-minded bigot who thinks atheists are evil and wicked

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Anway, lets get NAFs thread back on topic.

I think some of the people who worked against slavery deserve a mention and also those who helped provide some gender equality. I'm sure Jesus would have approved.

Luther King is a good example. As you mention Ghandi, I guess these people don't actually need to be christians.

3) Granville Sharp (he was definitely a christian and worked relentlessly to abolish slavery)

4) Mary Wollstencraft (political activist who wrote 'Vindication of the Rights of Woman' [also mother of Mary Shelley - she died during her birth]).

Maybe someone can think of better examples of stateside figures.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
I guess Ghandi wasn't a good choice by the OP then...

LOL! Melatonin, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

You are a great advertisment for your faith.

I will take that as a compliment. Thank you!

I raised a few reason why I don't think Hovind is a good example of someone who conforms to Jesus' teachings, I mention why Cameron and Comfort are not really great examples, therefore I am an 'anti-christ'?

I apologize. It's not so much your stance in this specific thread as it is in many other religious threads on this site. You and madness have a habit of popping up denouncing Christianity and Jesus. It's very rude. Disrespectful. And it's usually not so much your positions, as it is the way you approach a believer (with disrespect).

So, according to your reading of the NT, everyone who is not a christian is an anti-christ. Cool. Even though I don't question that some of his teachings were good, I am a satan worshipper. Nice.

Cool spin tactic.
Melatonin..........*sigh*
I believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God.
I believe he is "the" God, period. All others, supposed, are superfluous to me.
My God is your God too. You will eventually discover this at some point (definitely at the moment of your death)
I believe this line to be very true:
John 2:22 — Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.
It is stated in the New Testament that in the end times the antichrist will come, but if you read all instances of this term in the NT it always alludes to the antichrist being the one who denies the Father and the Son (meaning "no, I don't buy it....I don't believe in you"). What I am seeing is a growing trend of younger folks feeling this way, and everyone's starting to wonder why it feels like the end times are rolling in. As more people turn from God, the end will truly get closer, IMHO. When the antichrist takes over (which I truly believe is when most of this world denies that God/Jesus exists and is real) this world will turn into Hell on earth. All these people who want religion gone will be very sorry that God is not around to help them. If you turn your back on God, He will turn his back on you. I believe your attitude along with many like you is going to hurt this world eventually.......it's like a disease and it spreads like a plague. Not so much in this thread, but I find your lack of respect for Christianity insulting, to say the least. And yes, most often your position is "antichrist".

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
But as I have said numerous times, I would class myself as an 'atheist for jesus'. As a whole, the teachings attributed to Jesus are good. If everyone lived as most of his teachings suggest, the world would be a better place. The same goes for most religions that have golden rule ideas at their core.

I don't doubt that. I don't question whether he existed, it doesn't bother me, the evidence is unclear and ambiguous, some is good, some not so good. I just question whether he was divine. Whether he was the son of god.

I don't respect any religions. So by your defintion I am anti-christ, anti-mohammed, anti-thor, anti-[insert deity/divine-thingymajig of choice here]. You are anti everything I am bar christ. I just go a step further.

However, I do respect people when they show respect to me.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

actually, i don't do it in every religious thread

Just show me one "religious" thread where you haven't......

i specifically opened a thread to question the existence of jesus for a reason
it's not defamation to question the historicity of a figure

But you loooooooove picking on Jesus. Zeroing in on him and Christianity every time.
Why is that? Why does He bother you so much that you have to go out of your way to disprove Him? Why aren't you off posting in Cryptozoology threads? Paranormal threads? Political threads?
Why is it the religious threads? What are you seeking?

.....most of the time i actually play along in a religious discussion

Play? How about "irritate"? Play is fun. You are not.

so i'm in highschool
big deal
i don't care that i'm young
but don't attack the fact that i'm in highschool
it's unbecoming

You don't know **** about the world yet.
You have a very long way to go....you're still a kid

i've labeled christians as nothing more than misguided

Insulting and disrespectful, but that comes with being a punk your age.
You just love starting trouble.....seeing sparks fly. The folly of youth....

my two closest friends are a devout presbyterian and a devout roman catholic

Will wonders never cease?
Somehow I doubt seriously they are devout if they hang out with you.

i don't deny that "jesus" is the christ in the framework of christian mythos
i simply deny that said figure is historical

Nice spin....but this is flat-out denial any way you look at it.

no, i'm not antichrist
i'm anti CHRISTIANITY

There's no difference between the two. If you are against Christianity then you are against Christ. You're an antichrist, just accept it.....and seal your doom.

then again, i guess i won't convince a close-minded bigot who thinks atheists are evil and wicked

...then again, I guess I won't convince an arrogant, godless antichrist who thinks Christians are misguided fools.....

...madness, Satan loves your kind...............

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

As a whole, the teachings attributed to Jesus are good. If everyone lived as most of his teachings suggest, the world would be a better place.

Wow! I am seeing you in a different light now.
Why? Because you are showing respect.
This is a very mature response...........and I think "you" are on to something.
This admission only tells me that your "enlightenment" will grow.
You have goodness in you.....do not let the deception of "this world" blow it.
I have tremendous hope for you. No, I am not trying to convert you....
I just like watching people's souls bloom.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
But I think it's hard to not 'zero' in on christianity here.

Most users here with faith are christians. So we see talk about 'Jesus this' and 'christianity that', oh and 'islam is evil' seems to common among some christians. Yet they are pretty much the same thing - everything I focus on applies to most religions.

I can't see the issue, if you are solid in your faith, what does it matter. Some of the difficult questions should be answered, if it helps 'deny boredom' it's game.

The only disrespectful talk focused on users in this thread was from you, The rest is focused on the arguments/claims people have made.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

The only disrespectful talk focused on users in this thread was from you,

No, no, no. The original poster asked...."how many esteemed people of our history can we note who have followed his teachings and influenced the world in a positive way?" And you and madness entered to disprove the listed people.
And quite frankly, you were the one who threw out the first line of disrespect:
"I guess you support 'lying for jesus'."
Not me. I came into the thread to reverse what you started.
It's obvious when you read the first post that this thread was directed to Christians (believers).

Peace.

If you don't want to follow Jesus' precepts than why would you enter a thread titled, "Let's Praise Jesus"?

[edit on 20-1-2007 by rocknroll]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

And quite frankly, you were the one who threw out the first line of disrespect:
"I guess you support 'lying for jesus'."

Should we raise Hovind up as an example for little children - a liar, a fraud, and a cheat?

I even gave some bible-speak to support it

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have stated this once before, and I will state it once again, people like melatonin and madness are proof that the bibles prophecies are coming true.

Madness and meatonin, I would like to thank you both for confirming the bibles prophecies are true and making my faith stronger, once again, THANK YOU.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

If you don't want to follow Jesus' precepts than why would you enter a thread titled, "Let's Praise Jesus"?

Because there's something bigger than he is leading him around and he doesn't know he's bound to it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join