It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sky Watch Project!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Hi All,

First can I just say, What a great idea this is

I am also involved with Web Design and Marketing and find the idea of this or a similar project very exciting and certainly would love to be involved.

As with any project their are bound to be some initial problems that need to be overcome as previously mentioned in this thread, however i personally think that, with some hard work and dedication this could be a very successful project.

If anyone would like to take this further then please let me know as i would love to begin some initial research into this area with a view to approaching some companies whom i am already friendly with for sponsorship, etc.

Cheers,

Dal

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by just theory

Maybe this project wouldn't give any decent results then, i mean unless its the more advanced setup I've thought about you probably wouldn't get any decent shots anyway?

With my little cam corder it didn't do too bad, maybe adding in a wide angle adapter would help get a bigger field of view. Guessing I would say I am only covering 10 - 15% of the sky if that?

Now if we could get a few more members trying this method maybe we could get something. I thought for sure I would get something weird.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I have begun development on a website for this... the site is www.ufoskywatch.org... I am currently making a nice site that we can use, but I am not sure about someone to code the information for loging in and submitting you camera feed... If anyone can help me i have the webspace and I can make the site just need a coder! I am going to make a new thread to try and get some help from others..

[edit on 15-5-2007 by ExCloud]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chroot
Hi All,

First can I just say, What a great idea this is

I am also involved with Web Design and Marketing and find the idea of this or a similar project very exciting and certainly would love to be involved.

As with any project their are bound to be some initial problems that need to be overcome as previously mentioned in this thread, however i personally think that, with some hard work and dedication this could be a very successful project.

If anyone would like to take this further then please let me know as i would love to begin some initial research into this area with a view to approaching some companies whom i am already friendly with for sponsorship, etc.

Cheers,

Dal

I want to take this alot farther. Lets get something good going with this idea as you can read above and in my new topic.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stockburn

With my little cam corder it didn't do too bad, maybe adding in a wide angle adapter would help get a bigger field of view. Guessing I would say I am only covering 10 - 15% of the sky if that?

Now if we could get a few more members trying this method maybe we could get something. I thought for sure I would get something weird.

Yeah your probably right, i suppose its way too soon for such doubts, i kind of feel bad for not putting in more effort and getting mine setup, thanks Stockburn i appreciate your good work and for reviving this project!

Originally posted by ExCloud
I have begun development on a website for this... the site is www.ufoskywatch.org... I am currently making a nice site that we can use, but I am not sure about someone to code the information for loging in and submitting you camera feed... If anyone can help me i have the webspace and I can make the site just need a coder! I am going to make a new thread to try and get some help from others..

[edit on 15-5-2007 by ExCloud]

Cool, nice one ExCloud, this should really help get the project into full swing, thanks!

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
There is currently a SETI@home programme that uses you pc 'downtime' to search the skies for signals from the sky

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This doesnt get actual hard footage evidence though. I learned about this many many years ago its nice, but not as good as a camera can be

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hi, sorry about delayed response,

ExCloud I see you have registered the domain name
FANTASTIC

If you are still looking for other people to get involved with this project i would be quite happy to deal with the coding and database as well as any other areas, are you aware of what server technology is supported by your web server.

from looking at the home page of the site link i can see that you are using a hosting company, do you get quite a lot of storage with this account as with the amount of footage that will be being uploaded by users you will need to be looking at a phenomenal amount of storage space.

This has also got me thinking about how the site would actually work, would people be uploading footage to the site for examination other users or would they just be examining it them self and then uploading anything suspicious.

Would some or all of these cams be viewable from the site via a live feed??

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

I wont go on about this too much as the one thing i don't want to do is step on anyone's toes here. I'm only a new member here on ATS and are aware that this original thread was started way before i joined.

Look forward to chatting soon,

Dal

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

FANTASTIC

If you are still looking for other people to get involved with this project i would be quite happy to deal with the coding and database as well as any other areas, are you aware of what server technology is supported by your web server.

from looking at the home page of the site link i can see that you are using a hosting company, do you get quite a lot of storage with this account as with the amount of footage that will be being uploaded by users you will need to be looking at a phenomenal amount of storage space.

This has also got me thinking about how the site would actually work, would people be uploading footage to the site for examination other users or would they just be examining it them self and then uploading anything suspicious.

I wont go on about this too much as the one thing i don't want to do is step on anyone's toes here. I'm only a new member here on ATS and are aware that this original thread was started way before i joined.

Dal

The webcams would all be live feed(that way anyone can hop on at any time). I havent really found a company with unlimited storage space for a low cost. If you have any suggestyions let me know on where to go for it.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
i had an idea like this except with low power radar its easy for a real ufo to be called a weather balloon if its just video but it would help especially if multiple webcams film one object or if it was tracked over various counties or even states.....now if only i had a webcam

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

FANTASTIC

Dal

The webcams would all be live feed(that way anyone can hop on at any time). I havent really found a company with unlimited storage space for a low cost. If you have any suggestyions let me know on where to go for it.

Hi Bud,

I do agree with this, it would certainly be easier to to handle the live feeds rather than the masses of storage that would be needed for if you were going to store all of the footage.

With regards to the unlimited storage, as far as i am aware their are a few companies that offer this however im pretty sure that although they state "Unlimited" their is bound to be small print involved when you start telling them that you want to store what could easily be in excess of 50 gig.. Another possiblity would be to set up your own server using an old box however the more i think about this it is obvious that streaming would be way better, as you originally planned.

Streaming:

The first question that comes to mind when thinking about streaming what i assume could be possibly hundreds of live feeds (if the site becomes very popular) is the bandwith that would be required for this, however its going to be way easier to find a host offering unlimited bandwidth, in fact i have a few spare hosting accounts with unlimited bandwidth, i will always be happy to let you use one of these and just point your domain name to it.

Another important question is how this would be implemented, would anyone be allowed to sign up and participate and if so would they get their own web page, maybe a single page blog allowing visitors to comment or something similar which will obviously provide them with the foundations or medium in which they can set up to display the streaming footage.

Another possibility could be to set up the site with its own webcams at predefined locations that people can log in and observe, this does bring up the question where do the cams come from??? With regards to this it may be possible to get suitable web cams through corporate sponsorship and/or offer users the chance to become a "cam host" for the site, although it would be best to regulate this a lot more, thus preventing just anyone being able to sign up and host a caam.

Just a few ideas.

If anyone else has any thoughts on the best way to implement this it would be interesting to hear them

Actually, thinking about this it has just become obvious to me that the footage is going to have to be saved (maybee on a delay) as otherwise, if anyone did see anything and it was only streaming (not recording) no proof would be captured!!!!!

Off i go, back to the drawing board, lol

Dal

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I posted in the other thread on the way i envisioned it, everyone has their cams setup with some decent software that's capable of logging events and the other usual features to help with finding things of interest, they then can upload the video to somewhere like youtube/google and a higher quality file to the site or elsewhere, this way you can view the videos quickly and download a higher quality one if you want a better inspection.

I think live feeds might be a bit unnecessary, it would still be pretty cool to have them as an extra feature but i would get the main stuff sorted, i think doing things along these lines would take out a lot of the extra work, keeping things nice and simple and saving on any extra costs?

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What we need to do is all get in an IRC channel that want to work on the project and go from there... Maybe even a ventrilo channel or somethign where we can talk. Ill go buy a ventrilo tonight or something

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hi,

I can see how this would be way more beneficial, to be honest i can now remember reading earlier in the thread about the suggestion of software that does this (event triggered recording, tracking, etc) so i dont know why i did not even consider this when thinking out loud..... My Bad, sorry

This does reduce a lot of the work that would be required and certainly makes life easier.

Dal

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   

What we need to do is all get in an IRC channel that want to work on the project and go from there... Maybe even a ventrilo channel or somethign where we can talk. Ill go buy a ventrilo tonight or something

No probs matey

If you can let me know the details (where to log in, etc) i will be happy to join.

If you like i can always set up a simple site with chat room and message boards for anyone who wants to get involved to communicate.

Dal

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Gosh people, what an outstanding thread, hat's tipped
I have a Samsung camcorder, if anyone knows away that I can stop the hi8 recorder and just push the image to vhs for this machine I'd sure appreciate your thought on it.

But wow, I have learned a couple of things here -- great stuff.

Dallas

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It's been a while, any news?

I've been doing some more experimenting and decided to more fully convert the camera to infrared, still some visible light gets through, i think its probably better this way as having both visible and infrared light does in some ways give worse results due to the way the camera reacts to them.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
It has been some time...

Ive been waiting to see what happens with this. Unfortunately a lot of ideas similar to this tend to fade out and never get up and running I sure hope that this one is different

With regards to Cameras, Lenses, Infared and Light Levels

I couldnt really form an opinion on this as i have no knowledge in this area at all. Unfortunately Web design and Coding are as far as my abilities go, lol

I hope we can get past the idea stage with this as it has the potential to be a great site.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Yeah, but it shouldn't really take much to work as all anyone has to do is setup a webcam near their window pointing at the sky, anyone could easily do this and of course we're happy to help here with anything if need be, also anyone can setup a google video or youtube account and upload anything of interest, it doesn't have to be overly organised or hard work to do this project, in fact it should take most of the work out of sky watching, we just need lots of people to give it a go and see how it goes.

About the webcam, i was really only giving a little update on what I was up to, basically you can convert many types of webcam to pickup more infrared than they normally do by removing their filter, I did leave it just like that so it could see the full spectrum it is capable of but I decided I wanted it to be mainly in the infrared so I added a visible light blocking filter, well it blocks probably 70%, so now the camera mainly sees in infrared only. Of course theres many more advanced ideas people could do eventually if they choose like has been talked about here but for now lets just get it going, the more the merrier!

No one is expected to do anything like that, its just a little modification on a cheap old camera because they say some ufos only show up in infrared, I plan to buy one of those wide angle reasonably priced high definition webcams for normal viewing as well!

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Yeah bud,

I agree with you, it does not have to be complicated at all. It may be worth considering getting a small site up and running first just to have a play around with a few ideas.

I really do think the sooner we get something in place (even if it starts off as a small project) we will find it way way easier to define the direction in which we should go.

Darryl

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join