It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Litter Bin Forum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I've mention it in an other forum as well, but i want to write it down so everyone may take it into consideration.
To researchers, like me, who wish to read back all these threads and forums from the moment of ATS's creation you will encounter some closed threads. Most of them are threads repeated, stupid or already mentioned somewhere else and as a result, for the shake of frugality, closed. I am not saying to delete them for ever, since they may play an important part as well in the future, today i ignore.
As you can see this is not aesthetic if you got my drift.
I think a ''Litter Bin'' forum would be ideal.

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
To correct myself, i am not mentioning to closed threads which are about to be opened again... These are not trash threads

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The staff has a trash bin where they scrap threads that should not see the light of day. Of course these are not visible to members, and appropriately so.

It seems that more often then throwing something into the trash bin, the thread is merely closed so it is still readable to the general public.

What is it that you are asking? Threads from the trash bin should be in the "Litter Bin"? Or threads that have been closed?

If a thread has been trashed, it has been with good reason. If a thread has been closed, it should remain in the forum that it was created as it pertains to that subject.

If I am correct, this Litter Bin, would consist of several threads pertaining to a wide variety of subjects. Not very organized, in my opinion.

Again though, I may be way off to what it is you are thinking here.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   

If I am correct, this Litter Bin, would consist of several threads pertaining to a wide variety of subjects. Not very organized, in my opinion.

Well, this is not what i have been thinking, but everyone is free to add something in the generall idea.

I was thinking about ''repeated'' forums. When i am saying ''repeated'' forums i mean forums that a member has posted the same subject an other member did, maybe a few seconds earlier.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm not attempting to judge or criticize the idea, merely attempting to understand it.

So you are suggesting that we have a forum that consists of threads that have been duplicated? Rather than simply close them, they should be closed and moved to the "Litter Bin".

I still feel that a forum as unorganized as this one "may" be, would be very un-ATS. This site is very professional in its design and its operation. I think the pre-existing forums that are directed towards specific subjects, serve a bigger purpose.

Rather than browsing the "Litter Bin" looking through subjects from George Bush to the latest Chit Chat game, we could just browse the specific forum itself.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

So you are suggesting that we have a forum that consists of threads that have been duplicated? Rather than simply close them, they should be closed and moved to the "Litter Bin".

That's what i am talking about, lol

Rather than browsing the "Litter Bin" looking through subjects from George Bush to the latest Chit Chat game, we could just browse the specific forum itself.

Why we would have to browse the litter bin?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Well your looking to have these Duplicate threads moved to a Litter Bin that is accessible by members. How else would you come across a thread without browsing?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Well your looking to have these Duplicate threads moved to a Litter Bin that is accessible by members

Yep.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Do you not see the blatant contradiction?

Your asking that these threads be moved to a new forum, that categorizes them by the shear fact that they are a duplicate. Highly unorganized. When I had said that browsing the forum would be unorthodox, due to the wide variety of subjects, you question why we would even bother to browse it.

Well if we are not going to browse it, what would the purpose of the forum be?

You don't think that keeping the specific thread in the forum that it pertains to would be the best possible solution? It seems to be working.

Edit:

I guess it is a little late for this, but topics like this, "should" be discussed through the Complaint function. It doubles as a suggestion button, so feel free to make use of it.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Wait, slow down, you mentioned browsing the ''litter bin'' not browsing the ''forum''.

My question is, why we would have the ''litter bin'' browsed, since why we would have the dublicated threads to watch? Why would i have to read a double thread?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike
My question is, why we would have the ''litter bin'' browsed, since why we would have the dublicated threads to watch? Why would i have to read a double thread?

Exactly. That statement right their indicates why there is no need to have this "Litter Bin". From what I can draw from that statement, it shows that this is completely unnecessary. No need to browse this non-existed forum, and it would be a waste of bandwidth to have these duplicated threads making up their own forum.

Anyways, if you ever want something to be done with this, use the Complaint function.

Take care,
chissler

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
As i mentioned in my first post it is a matter of aesthetism.
I do not have to browse the litter bin forum but when i browse, for example, the alien forum i see many repeated threads that i waste my time looking at them...

Looking this practical:
What do i, perhaps, will earn with a litter forum?
-Time
Time is money

And of course the litter bin forum will be something nowones will ever want to look

Soorry for any misunderstandings i have occured, but i am not keen on english. Actually, that's the reason i joined ATS. To improve them through the speaking/writing process.

Peace
Dragon

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I don't see it as much of a problem now, but I understand what your saying.

If a thread is closed because there is or are more similar threads, the closed thread should be moved to the 'Litter Bin'. The primary, secondary and/or tertiary threads would stay in the proper forum, but the closed duplicates would end up in the 'Litter Bin', effectively, cleaning up the 'Proper' Forums.

So no information is lost from the respective forums.

I understand you.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
So no information is lost from the respective forums.

I understand you.

And I understand as well. There is nothing more frustrating than to prepare an article, post it, and then find that someone else beat you to it. A forum like that could allow such posts to still be commented on. In some cases, the different angles on the story trashed can be as good or better than the one that stayed. And of course, I know that there are those that will argue that all you have to do is copy your information over to the new post. But that does kind of rob the author of the trashed thread of any credits for their presentation.

So I think it's a good idea, if I am understanding this correctly.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well, if I understand waht you're saying, you're proposing a forum
where all the closed threads, that are'nt trashed, would be put, so
they're both out of the way and to make the other forums look better.

If that's the case, I have to say, that's a pretty good idea.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
But that does kind of rob the author of the trashed thread of any credits for their presentation.

So I think it's a good idea, if I am understanding this correctly.

You have a point.
But part of the issue is people wanting the credit.

World is full of to much competition already, or so it seems.

After all, who should get the real credit...we are not the "creators" of anything really.
More like good "copiers", as we are not the source of the info.

But, I realize this is the system, and its what people are used to...

Good ideas

peace

dAlen

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Having a forum that is consisted of closed threads, with a wide variety of topics, would be highly unorthodox in my opinion. ATS has forums that pertain to specific subjects, this forum would go against everything.

When we enter a specific forum, we can clearly see what threads are closed. I don't see how these "closed" threads lead to any problems in the list. If a closed thread is going to exist, it serves a much bigger purpose by remaining in the forum that relates to the subject, rather than a forum made up of closed threads.

I tend to agree with most fresh ideas, but this is one I disagree with.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
After all, who should get the real credit...we are not the "creators" of anything really. More like good "copiers", as we are not the source of the info.

The membership are creators of a good bit of the content on ATS, and it is what sets the site apart from other sites. And it is why it is encouraged to not just post an article, but to comment on it. And those comments are original content from the membership. But that's not all. There is totally unique content as well on ATS. Take a look at the collaborative writing forum, the conspiracy masters forums, or heck, just click on one of the podcast tunes in my sig or on the podcasts page. All unique, original content.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican The membership are creators of a good bit of the content on ATS, and it is what sets the site apart from other sites. And it is why it is encouraged to not just post an article, but to comment on it. And those comments are original content from the membership. But that's not all. There is totally unique content as well on ATS. Take a look at the collaborative writing forum, the conspiracy masters forums, or heck, just click on one of the podcast tunes in my sig or on the podcasts page. All unique, original content.

Sorry TrueAmerican, I may have been misunderstood.
From the perspective you are coming from, you have a valid point.

Im coming from it at a totally different slant. Not sure really how to word it.
(Besides its late here, Im happy I can type this somewhat co-herently.
)

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 20-1-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well, do take into account threads are not just closed due to duplication. Threads can also be closed as a result of derailing, creation for the purpose of slander and attack against ATS and/or it's members, possible pre-emptive action against flame-wars, etc. ...

Creating a forum for the sole purpose of closed threads would cause havoc to say the least. It would mess up the ease of discovery of relevant threads (including through the use of the Advanced Search which contains subject-specific parameters) and have no organsational structure except for the fact they are all closed.

Sorry, but no deal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join