It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

to live like "christ"...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well, Christ certainly,although he may not of been the originator of it, propagated the idea of do unto others as you would have them done unto you. If the world followed this line of thinking, it would be a much better place to my notion.

As far as anything that is explicit that Christ "did for the world," other than die for it, I don't know what to say.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

although he may not of been the originator of it, propagated the idea of do unto others as you would have them done unto you.

Yes, everyone's support network would be huge

According to some, being a world-wide celebrity movie star who salivates and leaps around on Oprah's set is sufficient to become 'christ-like';

wow, sure he is the annoited one in hollywood and he is a the service of humanity, but is he a messiah a.k.a redeemer (do you know if there are any loopholes in this contract?) lol

[edit on 24-1-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It is...

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

and

do not do unto others, what you would not have them do unto you.

It covers action and inaction.

Whatever you do unto the least of your brother, you do unto him.

Christ was looking for totallity in helping all poor. Were a long way from that.

We justify not helping the drunkard or the drug addict in the name of " Its their problem". People go homeless, Go hungry and starve to death, but the outrage only goes as far as a sympathetic..: Thats too bad.

Everyone who reads this. Think of your Children overseas. Starving to death. Or even yourselves. If it was Bushes children it would warrant the navy and the Air Force.

We need people of influence, who can change the path and direction of not just world events, but systems that are even here internal in the United States.

There needs to be change on a Global level. Its about Justice for all.
Life, Liberty and persuit of Happiness for all, and not just the employed and the gifted. Let us use our strengths to help all people..

If not for Christ, ( if your not a believer ) then do it because its the right thing to do. I know someone who is reading this has the ways and the means to make change.

To be Like Christ..

Is to practice his ways. But we are caught in systems and webs that prevent us from being effective.

Change is in the Wind

Peace

[edit on 24-1-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Q.

" you are putting yourself first "

No no, when you focus on the main importance of your own soul, what does that mean?

It means complete unselfishness, gods will, getting our souls in communion with him, then the works come, but when they do you realize its his grace and not our own goodness.
\

without God we would be like hitler or gang members, deprived of grace.

The welfare of the soul is all that matters.

peace.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

Christ was looking for totallity in helping all poor. Were a long way from that.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

If its the poor we are supposed to all help then why would Christ want us to give all we have to them and become poor ourselves.

Christ said...

Matthew 26:11
The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.

So you believe we can stamp out poverty? that would make Christ`s words a lie.

We justify not helping the drunkard or the drug addict in the name of " Its their problem". People go homeless, Go hungry and starve to death, but the outrage only goes as far as a sympathetic..: Thats too bad.

Big personal warning here,i have just tried helping a drug addict,even opened our house to them and i seriously suggest everyone consider whether the person wants to help themselves first,if not your in for a ride and a half.

I have had a similar expirence with an old friend who was/is a cronic alcoholic which wasn`t nearly as bad an expirence who stayed with us for 3 months,the end result was the same,they both simply enjoyed their life too much to change for the better.

My advice is wait until they make the decision to help themselves,but let them know you will be there for them if and when they do.

Some people are in the situation they are in because they want to be.

Not everyone is a brother and sister in Christ,but yes treat everyone as you would like to be treated.

Christ wasn`t however wishy washy he was straight and to the point,to what mattered most,which was for God even when tuning in someone who needed it.

If someone doesn`t believe and will not believe then wipe your feet and move on or it maybe a while trying to get rid of the flea`s.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
It means complete unselfishness, gods will, getting our souls in communion with him, then the works come, but when they do you realize its his grace and not our own goodness.

On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

Christ is in all of us.

[

21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

If you belive in Christs promise...then dont worry about your soul as much as you should be worrying about carrying out his commands.

Its a full Circle Kind of thought. You can worry about your soul while your brother starves. Or you can help your brother, and your soul is saved through honoring Christs Command..

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
If its the poor we are supposed to all help then why would Christ want us to give all we have to them and become poor ourselves.

Two men are on a street. One has nothing. The other has two loaves of bread.

The one man can go home and store the loaf of bread, or he could divide what he has, and both would have a loaf.

Christ on the man and Riches:

16And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'

18"Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." '

20"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'

21"This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."

Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive. 24Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

In seeking the good of others...no one is left behind. Its only when people get greedy, that the givers become the poor.

The Irish starved while their Potatoes were sold for profit.

In China, grain given to the state was sold for profit.

When greed rears its head...everyone suffers.

As far as the drug addict...The problem resides in what lead up to the addiction. Each person requires attention and compassion. Unfortunately, people shun drug users overall.

Did it ever occur to you, that that one beer, or that one hit, might be the only spark of happiness they get in their day while they are living in trees by the freeway? Real or Psychological...life for them can be bleak. The know it too...They live with the Rats..and their esteem is low.
When its 20 degrees outside, and people are all going to a party. In a world where a homeless man cant rent a motel room, because he doenst have ID yet he has the money in his pocket.

You see...homeland security and September 11th even hit the homeless and people dont even know it.

Drugs are killing our youth. Its like Global warming. You dont know it while its happening..until its too late.

Peace

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   

As far as the drug addict...The problem resides in what lead up to the addiction.

The same reason most of us continue with bad habits.To fill emptiness.

Each person requires attention and compassion. Unfortunately, people shun drug users overall.

Good and so they should no good comes from accepting serious problems,if they want to help themselves they will then others will help and so will God.

Did it ever occur to you

It may be your belief i`m a twit and your welcome to it.

If you dont want to take my advice thats up to you,stop talking about it and do something then,put your money where your mouth is and learn the hard way.

I have.

Edit to add

HIFI fella it would be better also not to quote the bible as you did,where that particular parable has no relevance on this discussion between you and I concerning drunks and drug addicts.

The parable isnt saying "go give all you have to the drunks and drug addicts because they will surely stop being drunks and drug addicts if you do".

This is not what Christ is saying to do when he says "give to the poor".
If they dont want to change or help,they will use you and your money to buy more junk to further kill themselves.

The parable is about knowing whats important to ones self and its not your earthly possessions.Christ was explaining that to those who didn`t know.

It starts at Luke 12:13 and onwards.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Would you HIFI fella want others pouring money at you if you were a drug addict with no want of change?

Thats not Love thats more like an accomplice to murder.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by gps777]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Remember the lilies of the field...why worry about your bread when God knows you need it? Will he not take care of you if you take care of others?

I know the answer from my own life: YES.
It takes a pretty big leap of faith - and so Christ said 'oh ye of little faith.'

So you believe we can stamp out poverty? that would make Christ`s words a lie.

Poverty and hunger are two different words - and the poor aren't necessarily in poverty. Poverty is to riches as being poor is to being wealthy. The first is about where your 'storehouse' is and if it is empty or full - and the second is usually defined as being about material assets.

If we begin to care for one another instead of our own selves, we will all be cared for and the world will no longer be full of poverty. But even Rockefeller is poverty stricken if he lacks compassion for his brother (especially if it is due to a desire to maintain even 1 dollar in his pocket).

Certainly it isn't beyond our abilities to make sure everyone is fed. Not at all.

Big personal warning here,i have just tried helping a drug addict,even opened our house to them and i seriously suggest everyone consider whether the person wants to help themselves first,if not your in for a ride and a half.

Who said anything about interfering? Trying to create change in their life?

Just have compassion - if they are hungry help them out - when the opportunity arises and you are there, do what you can. Don't make their problems your problems....just give them something to eat if they are hungry and a coat if they are cold. Use your head. The best way to love our neighbors is by minding our own business and not theirs.

I have had a similar experience with an old friend who was/is a chronic alcoholic which wasn't nearly as bad an experience who stayed with us for 3 months,the end result was the same,they both simply enjoyed their life too much to change for the better.

Well that's two already that you've moved into your house. I've been in that position...i learned that it isn't the right thing to do for anyone. Instead I found better ways to help instead of deciding that wasn't worth the effort. The fault isn't with them but with your ideas of how you should help.

My advice is wait until they make the decision to help themselves,but let them know you will be there for them if and when they do.

You are confusing substance abuse counseling with the soup kitchen. Feed them - don't seek to make them into something they will NEVER be....no longer an addict. That's modern nonsense and a big part of our social disorganization.

Some people are in the situation they are in because they want to be.

That's probably so. However - we are EACH fully accountable for each and every decision we make...whether we are a suit or a homeless addict. That's irrelevant to the overall issue and until you've walked a mile in the shoes of another, such statements are nothing but another social delusion.

Not everyone is a brother and sister in Christ,but yes treat everyone as you would like to be treated.

We are ALL brothers and sisters. Those who are not in Christ are still the Father's - those who are in Christ have a duty to take care of that which is the Father's.

If someone doesn't believe and will not believe then wipe your feet and move on or it maybe a while trying to get rid of the fleas.
What does their belief have to do with you helping them out in times of need?
Help their physical condition - God will repair their soul. To try to make someone change or believe something they don't is NOT having compassion, empathy, or charity. I don't know what it is called - but it doesn't matter because it is superfluous and unnecessary. It is part of the problem, not the solution.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
No no, when you focus on the main importance of your own soul, what does that mean?

It means you are putting yourself first.

It means not even caring about your own soul! God has care of our soul - why worry when we are free to worry about our brother's needs?

Would you refuse heaven for the sake of those still in hell? Would you spend '3 days preaching to the spirits in prison?'

without God we would be like hitler or gang members, deprived of grace.

How do you figure Hitler is deprived of grace? Because that isn't true - at all.

Right.

Yours first then someone else's as long it isn't Hitler or a gang member, huh?
Right.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is in no way directed at anyone in particular; these are the verses I thought of when reading this thread.

Matthew 10:16

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Please read, study, and learn ]1 Corinthians 13. (The whole chapter of 13.)

Good Journey friends!

[edit on 25-1-2007 by GameSetMatch

[edit on 25-1-2007 by GameSetMatch]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I believe this is what it is to live life like Christ

www.influks.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I don't want to live like him, I just want his marketing rights.

flickr.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I believe this is what it is to live life like Christ
www.influks.com...

Your belief is in error.

Originally posted by Selmer2
I don't want to live like him, I just want his marketing rights.

flickr.com...

Which is exactly why we have the following result.

600 Million Homeless worldwide
60 Million Starving to Death in a year
6 Million are children

Change will come..

MCM

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

Well that's two already that you've moved into your house. I've been in that position...i learned that it isn't the right thing to do for anyone. Instead I found better ways to help instead of deciding that wasn't worth the effort. The fault isn't with them but with your ideas of how you should help.

So you had to learn as well Annie,well so did I,but if put in a similar circumstance i would do it again,until appropriate help or accommodation was found.

The first time i did was for an old friend,the recent time with the drug addict was a new mother who had just been kicked out of a refuge for women because of the drugs,so i acted upon it.

Because she ODed the baby has been taken off of her and she now has to prove herself free of drugs before they will consider giving her responsibility of a parent and if you saw or knew her for a short time i`m sure you`d agree Annie that is exactly the best thing to happen for the child.

Her life style is more important however,drugs and prostitution come first her in life and yes we did feed and clothe them both even though she earn`t more than us,$2000k a night she would brag,but i said i will not tolerate drugs in my house,full stop,so other accomadation was found for her and the child was with the authorities.

Since then we have both had abusive threatening phone calls from her ex the father of the child who just got out of jail,saying he knows where we live,wanting her back,he is also an addict,the prostitution supplies him the money for the drugs from her.

Not one to take a backward step at threats or abuse,i have fired up.though this is not something worth the trouble.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   

600 Million Homeless worldwide
60 Million Starving to Death in a year
6 Million are children

Brilliant point!

the number of man
mankind starving for love
and agape brotherhood

Yes YOU are (answering your U2U)
and so am I
we all will BE

Change is here

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   

So you had to learn as well Annie,well so did I,but if put in a similar circumstance i would do it again,until appropriate help or accommodation was found.

Perhaps, then, you might define just what it is you learned?

(please don't think i'm trying to antagonize you, argue you down, or pick on you - i just want to show you what i see and then when you see it is your call what to do - it is better to see more than less and this is how we all learn)

This is valuable advice from the archangel Michael (through Edgar which means 'witness'):

And when those relationships about same have been and are such that those conditions arise wherein there is the lack of harmonious effects that are possible, then as He hath given, put at naught those experiences, those influences. Let them be rather as they were not.
Edgar Cayce Reading 845-4

'Foresight' comes from thoroughly examining and thinking about what is seen in 'hindsight' - forethought.

The first time i did was for an old friend,the recent time with the drug addict was a new mother who had just been kicked out of a refuge for women because of the drugs,so i acted upon it.

Not to be harsh - but what did you act upon? The opportunity to give her shelter for a time only to then (in her eyes) betray her like everyone else always had....saying you were a true friend and that she had a place to stay with you....and then later making it seem as if you had lied? Betrayed by an old friend - that was her thought even though it was not your intention.

And even though you did not (lie) - and truly meant it at the time, your change of heart came because of you thinking she had somehow renigged or changed her ways (back and forth again) or some such thing - but you didn't realize that to her, everything on her end was just the same as always. And it was!

You expected her to change because you were helping her. She expected you to help her because you volunteered and were an old friend; she truly trusted you to keep your word. But in the end, it seemed to her that she lost more than ever because of your 'acting' upon her situation.

Her life style is more important however,drugs and prostitution come first her in life and yes we did feed and clothe them both even though she earn`t more than us,$2000k a night she would brag,but i said i will not tolerate drugs in my house,full stop,so other accomadation was found for her and the child was with the authorities.

Did you not know she was a drug addict when you 'acted upon' the situation? If so, then why did you make a rule she could not comply with - and make it a rule that determined whether or not she had the help you offered?

Not one to take a backward step at threats or abuse,i have fired up.though this is not something worth the trouble.

BUT yet you say you would do it again. And also that you've learned. And still you wonder why the heck they would feel angry or lash out at your family? Think of your family. We all have family. They are a family but they have been rendered apart. No doubt their life had countless deficiencies as far as 'health hearth home' is concerned...but without one another how can any of them ever recover their hearts and their trust?

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Perhaps, then, you might define just what it is you learned?

Well that's two already that you've moved into your house. I've been in that position...i learned that it isn't the right thing to do for anyone. Instead I found better ways to help instead of deciding that wasn't worth the effort.

Same,lets not go round in circles.

(please don't think i'm trying to antagonize you, argue you down, or pick on you

It is what it is.

- i just want to show you what i see and then when you see it is your call what to do - it is better to see more than less and this is how we all learn

So long as i`m learning from you,you`ll be happy.If not keep going in circles.

This is valuable advice from the archangel Michael (through Edgar which means 'witness'):

One mans bread i suppose,not for me.

Not to be harsh - but what did you act upon? The opportunity to give her shelter for a time only to then (in her eyes) betray her like everyone else always had....saying you were a true friend and that she had a place to stay with you....and then later making it seem as if you had lied? Betrayed by an old friend - that was her thought even though it was not your intention.

I had never met her before,lets get that straight for one.

I acted on the fact that she had no where else to go as i was told,other than sharing with other drug addicts,she had said in a phone conversation she was off drugs for good,i had stated clearly that i will not tolerate drugs in my house,her being a new mother i was concerned for the situation she had to face with little options left to her.

Because she had little options left was why i believed her and what drugs were doing to her life.

And even though you did not (lie) - and truly meant it at the time, your change of heart

No,there was no change of heart.

You expected her to change because you were helping her.

No,i expected her to stay drug free as she told me and change for herself,if not i expected her to get professional help like a rehab center anything thing else and not bring those and her problems into our lives.

BUT yet you say you would do it again.

Yep,doesn`t mean others would be the same.

However i`ll listen more closely on their sincerity on whether they want to help themselves or if its more they actually expect everyone else to just accept them for a free ride and carry on with that life style.

They can be what ever or do what ever but not under my roof.Is it ok to ask your permission for that Annie?

And also that you've learned. And still you wonder why the heck they would feel angry or lash out at your family? Think of your family.

She was in the womens refuge because of him,so she had said,violent relationship.

Annie you dont know me you dont know her, you can say all you like that i did the wrong thing or am wrong all you like,cause i`m sure in your mind you`d do better,well we`ll never know.Nor do i care,what happened happened.

My advice stands,if someone thinks they can help out an addict be very careful,sure anyone can give them some food clothes etc and thats probably the best thing to do,but what ever you give them is only relief for the cost of the things that are their main immediate problem,drugs.

[edit on 26-1-2007 by gps777]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   
GPS -
i read that wrong about the old friend and the recent time - i got them combined into one. Sorry about that.

However - the situation was still about trust and I don't expect you to be learning from me. I am learning from you.

And whether you believe it or not, i know you and i know her. i was just trying to get you to see from outside the situation because within it the view is always partial.

at any rate, i'll leave you alone about it!

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   

GPS -
i read that wrong about the old friend and the recent time - i got them combined into one. Sorry about that.

No probs

However - the situation was still about trust

The situation Annie was/is very serious,it goes beyond trust,if the person isn`t interested in helping themself nothing will be help to them.

i was just trying to get you to see from outside the situation because within it the view is always partial.

I wasn`t born yesterday Annie,i`m aware of looking outside in.Though i dont mind good advice,i simply dont trust many who are eager to give it.

But be careful when trying to take a twig from eye`s.

at any rate, i'll leave you alone about it!

Just giving some free advice based on experience Annie.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join