It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superior California

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I once lived in California I did love it. Then I was younger and fresher. Its a state mainly IMO for younger people who want a faster paced life. I do miss the warmth thow. However according to my research your fall out information is wrong.

look about half way down the page

everybody should check out these maps they list all kinds of things.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Its interesting an interesting map for suer, but looking at it:

The Puget Sound area is medium risk, however, I think that is based on the assumption of a strike targeted only on Seattle itself. The naval base is far away enough to warrents its own strike as well as the major Boeing plant in Renton, so i think that the whole Seattle area and Puget Sound would be in the red. couple with that any fallout from Hanford (based on wind conditions and any US SSBN's caught in port plus the nuclear material from any stored weapons and its a mess.

The Shasta mentioned in the very first post is a area is in a low fallout are and I am unaware of any signifigant population centers or military or government research areas that would merit targeting in a nuclear strike

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
There are many targets in California, being in Los Angeles would be a death sentence in a nuclear war. The map I posted displays the effect wind patterns would have on the United States after an attack. The fallout blows east.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Just from glancing at most of the maps provided for nuclear targets, radiation fallout, rising oceans, etc., I noticed that the area of northwestern Arkansas was clear on all or most of them! I know these maps are completely hypothetical, but it looks like I'm heading to northwest Arkansas! LOL

I think the biggest threat there is the locals playing banjos in the woods and asking you to "squeal like a pig" ala the movie "Deliverance."

But on a serious note... what does everyone think of this area? Pros? Cons? I must admit that I know nothing about the area or Arkansas as a whole. I do know that their greatest (or worst) natural resource, The Clinton's, are pretty much all but gone! I also read at sometime that there are a lot of Bigfoot sightings in the woods of Arkansas, so maybe I can join a Bigfoot tribe and they'll shelter me and help me survive. I just hope I can stand the smell!!

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
My friend works for corporate walmart Rasputin and he tells me everytime I talk to him about how hot the girls are and friendly they are, ive been meaning to go out and visit him get out of helL-A but now with these maps since i was debating on moving anyway maybe ill go partners with him on a house out there.

I still like humboldt county area california and lake tahoe though.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The desert portions of Texas like Marfa and Alpine are rapidly being gentrified by out-of-staters who are looking for the great SouthWest desert experience. Desert land prices from Cali to New Mexico have skyrocketed over the last 20 years. My friends in Wickenburg, AZ paid $65K/acre in '03 for their multi acre lot and Wickenburg isn't even close to being the highest priced land in the area. Some properties in Maricopa County are going for a cool $150-200k/acre. That's freaking insane to pay that much for DESERT land. Land in many parts of West Texas are still in the $100-1000K range per acre depending on the amount you buy. If your land has water on it like a creek, you can expect to pay more than $1K/ acre. Some of the mountain areas like Ft. Davis are spectacular. The main reason the area hasn't turned into Flagstaff or Taos is because there's no real hospital for over 100 miles. If someone decides to build one there, the retired rich will swarm into the area like they did in Arizona and New Mexico.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
Just from glancing at most of the maps provided for nuclear targets, radiation fallout, rising oceans, etc., I noticed that the area of northwestern Arkansas was clear on all or most of them! I know these maps are completely hypothetical, but it looks like I'm heading to northwest Arkansas! LOL

I think the biggest threat there is the locals playing banjos in the woods and asking you to "squeal like a pig" ala the movie "Deliverance."

But on a serious note... what does everyone think of this area? Pros? Cons? I must admit that I know nothing about the area or Arkansas as a whole. I do know that their greatest (or worst) natural resource, The Clinton's, are pretty much all but gone! I also read at sometime that there are a lot of Bigfoot sightings in the woods of Arkansas, so maybe I can join a Bigfoot tribe and they'll shelter me and help me survive. I just hope I can stand the smell!!

Rasputin,
I dont know what the status is of our land based ICBM missle sites. How many left and where they are. I do know that the hills around Jacksonville, Arkansas,where is located Little Rock Air Force Base, used to be seeded with missle silos. You know this when you come to little country crossroads stores and out front is a military truck or Humvee and guys in uniform are getting out to buy snacks and cigarettes. Somewhere in driving distance is a military installation. IN hills like that it means ICBMs. These are usually security people. If they are still there you are not far from ground zero.
So what are the prevailing winds from that area around Jacksonville, Arkansas??

Just something you might want to know.

Someone posted about Los Angeles. I went to Yuma, Arizona some years ago to visit some people. I was very surprised when standing in thier front yard and listening to the trains passing on the tracks down the road..as to how much was the volume of rail traffic coming out of California. It had to be coming from Los Angeles/San Diego. It was like one long train every ten minutes. I mean long trains carrying who knows what but they were steady all day and into the night. These are huge huge port delivery areas. Meaning commerce...meaning a jucy target. I believe San Diego is also a very large Navy base....just like here at Norfolk, Virginnia.
Ive been to Los Angeles and San Diego...I never want to live there. I dont even want to visit. You need NASCAR training to survive driving on the interstates out there. Talk about wildlife behind the wheel.....WOW!!!
I wanted to visit the Labrea TAr Pits but found out is was up around Hollywood somewhere and I was near San Diego. No way was I going to brave the wildlife on the highways. I went back to Arizona instead after visiting the mission in San Capistrano. San Capistrano turned out to be a very nice town.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Orangutan,

The La Brea Tar pits are horrible that was one of the first things I went to go check out when I moved here and it was the biggest waste of time ever.

Essentially all it is ponds that have oil bubble up through them every once in a while theres no like all oil lake or anything. I went to the museum and that was the biggest waste of $ ever only like 8 or 15 dont remember but bigest waste.

On the driving its not so bad I have noticed that it seems people from otehr places think that otehr places people drive horrible either they are to fast to slow or just dont know hw to drive but its an assimilation thing you get used to it after a couple months.

La has nothing if you were to come out here just go to santa monica beach and santa monica mountains area the rest is just sprawled out fast food and car related businesses. The shopping is garbage to compared to NYC anyway. The food is just mediocre if you want really good food you will have to pay for it (sushi is great though) unlike in NYC where you can find some low key restuarants that serve amazing food for relativley reasonable cost here in LA its either just mediocre food that overpriced or really good food taht will cost your whole months food budget on one meal. Though there are some great cafe's by the beach cities of venice and santa monica that you can get away with spending less than 15 for a full meal.

I really dont know why I am still even living here I mean there are some cool clubs andbars but who cares about that unless you are really into that scene.
Plus on top of it all the air quality is poison seriously I went out running at night and all i could smell is car exhaust plus there are so many mexicans I mean i have nothing but respect for them as a people they are very hard working and good family people but theres just so many like a lot everywhere.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I second the rediculus prices for food out in LA. having lived here my whole life you'd think I'd find a place that sells a decent burrito for under 7 dollars. 7 dollars for a damn burrito! NO CHIPS, NO DRINK! The only food we have locked down is In and Out Burger. That place is always great and cheap. But everyplace else is a rip off. In a place where burritos were invented and they still can't make one without ripping you off.

The pollution is real bad, but the sunsets are really nice.

Orangetom-You are right the people out here can't drive. Yesterday coming home from work on one of our worst freeways, I watched in the timespane of 2-1/2 seconds two car crashes on the freeway. One going the opposit direction, two cars slammed up into the center divider at 70mph, people in my side of the highway all freaked out or were too busy watching the accident and one car side swiped another and then another and another and another until a total of 8 cars all were involved in a minor accident. But then the idiots all decide to stop in their lanes and get out to inspect the damage although all the cars are very drivable. they block off 4 of the 5 lanes on the freeway doing this, and all the traffic had to come to a complete stop for 15 minuts because of 8 idiots, who know nothing about how to drive. Put me back 45 minuts and I lived only 10 minutes away.

Between the idiots driving in LA with no license, and no ability to read the street signs, and no knowledge of the driving laws, and the kept little kids driving $90,000 cars their parents bought them, or their boyfriends, or husbands, driving like little pri-madonnas I loose about 5 years of my life in pure stress for every month I drive on the streets here, I got about 10 more years before I have a heart attack from the crazy drivers here. Had to drive on the shoulder on the freeway to avoid getting plowed into by some bimbo driving a VW bug who never looked before making a lane change that she didn't even need to make and would have known if she wasn't talking on the cellphone and doing her makeup.

I say do tests on drivers once a year, if you are deemed a crappy driver then you have to pay for a period of time or until your test scores improve a state medical tax for all the undo stress and insurance hikes you cause for the rest of the population.

Rent out here is retarded too. $960 a month for a crappy 450sq ft studio apt thats in a run down building in a crappy neighborhood, with crappy management, and literal crack heads as neighbors, and a slum loard for the owner. Lots of value here,you really get what you pay for.

I can say though that if you can handle the fast paced life LA would have alot to offer. Californias best side as far as beauty and a more moderate life would be the central and northern side away from the cities. Lots of farming and more heavy forests than one would believe at first. State park wise it's got alot going for it and the sequoias are really stunning. Our produce kickes ass too.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I am ready to hitch up the wagon and mosey on out of ole' Cal. What this state has become is a a state of decay. Driving to work everyday is like playing Russian Roulette. Folk here have no regard for YOUR safety if not their own. Self centered "me first, gimme-gimme" demanor and an "it don't affect me directly, so it's not MY problem" attitude has resulted in the social and economical decline of this once great state.

This thread is regarding survival in a state of emergency. Living in Southern California IS living in a state of emergency. Ridiculous fuel prices, astronomical housing prices, scarce employment opportunities, income neccessary to simply EAT. A state judicial system that is a complete failure only promotes the decline; our correctional facilities at 110% capacity (65% illegal immigrants) prompts the next issue.

Illegal immigrants have infested this state and destroyed the integrity of so many communities. Two words: Santa Ana. A once beautiful and historic town that has been reduced to the likes of Tijuana in the span of thirty years. In schools, English IS the second language. YOU- hard working, tax paying American citizen that falls short one day and needs a little state financial assistance ? Forget about it. Come over illegally, drive illegally, work illegally and make tons of babies ? Welcome to CA, here's your monthly check.

A nuclear attack ? Please bring it on, this state needs a little house cleaning. My concern is a natural disaster like "The Big One" we've been fearing for the last fifty years. The Public Safety resources are already stretched too thin. Hurricane Katrina will look like the melee in stores at the release of the Playstation 3 versus a catastrophic earthquake leveling Southern California.

There is no sense of community here. no pride. Too many here out to simply "survive" day to day life for themselves, already. Mark my words, the rest of the nation will watch in horror as LA, Orange County, SF, etc. result to a state of barbarianism should an earthquake like this occur.

My advice. Stay out. Get out, when you can.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by _DISAVOWED_]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
disavowed,

You are unfortunatley probably right in what would happen should a large earthquake hit the LA Orange county area. There is on thing I have first hand knowledge in from a previous position in contruction sales.

I worked for a large construction materials company here in Los Angeles so I would have to go to various job sites day in and day out and let me tell you something DO NOT live in an apartment or condo complex that was built within the last 4 years. The total disregard for building code violations and scrimping of materials in the construction of buildings in an earthquake zone caused great alarm to me and I tried reporting it but no one wanted hear about it. I lived in NY and worked in the same industry b4 moving out here and let me tell you those buildings that were being put up in NY had closer spacing of support beams used longer nails and had thinker foundations. Watch out because when a big one hit here in SoCal a lot of the recently put up buildings will suffer greatly, how bad well I have no idea since they havent been tested yet.

On top of that, people say disparaging things about those in New Orleans after Katrina (looting, shooting, etc etc) but watch out if think that people with the mentality that is prevalent here in SoCal of me, me, me at any cost will not be a whole lot worse then I iwll gladly take a bet with you.

For all the fun it gets made of San Fran is a lot better in its sense of civility than down here in LA there people would have a better sene of commuinty in the face of catastrophe here in LA there sense of community would be lets loot the stores nearest us first then move outwards.

Maybe I m being a little rough on SoCal but as can be seen from other peoples posts its a city filled with people who think they are the next great thing (hollywood) I have friends who are in the industry and want to make a career out of it and let me say that they are so far beyond the realm of fantasy that I really cant even consider them close, leaving me with a lot less people I can consider good friends. Point being that besides the gangbangers and illegals who would with out a doubt kill and loot and other things that these hollywood and entertainment wannabees would be warthless in banding together like NY'ers did after 911.

Thats it after my last 3 commision checks coming in im moving up to Santa Barbara or Santa Cruz.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
My manager for my apt. said that the last thing the old manager told him before he started the job was that according to the inspectors this building ain't going to survive one more quake. That was about 2 years ago, and the building was built in the 70's.

Our plumbing never works so I have no doubt the building is structurally unsound. You should feel how is rocks whenever the wind hits it. Don't want to imagin an earthquake of a 4.5 or more...bad news for me.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I live in Pasadena, where do all the other SoCal and California, people live?

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by _DISAVOWED_
I am ready to hitch up the wagon and mosey on out of ole' Cal. What this state has become is a a state of decay. Driving to work everyday is like playing Russian Roulette. Folk here have no regard for YOUR safety if not their own. Self centered "me first, gimme-gimme" demanor and an "it don't affect me directly, so it's not MY problem" attitude has resulted in the social and economical decline of this once great state.

This thread is regarding survival in a state of emergency. Living in Southern California IS living in a state of emergency. Ridiculous fuel prices, astronomical housing prices, scarce employment opportunities, income neccessary to simply EAT. A state judicial system that is a complete failure only promotes the decline; our correctional facilities at 110% capacity (65% illegal immigrants) prompts the next issue.

Illegal immigrants have infested this state and destroyed the integrity of so many communities. Two words: Santa Ana. A once beautiful and historic town that has been reduced to the likes of Tijuana in the span of thirty years. In schools, English IS the second language. YOU- hard working, tax paying American citizen that falls short one day and needs a little state financial assistance ? Forget about it. Come over illegally, drive illegally, work illegally and make tons of babies ? Welcome to CA, here's your monthly check.

There is no sense of community here. no pride. Too many here out to simply "survive" day to day life for themselves, already. Mark my words, the rest of the nation will watch in horror as LA, Orange County, SF, etc. result to a state of barbarianism should an earthquake like this occur.

My advice. Stay out. Get out, when you can.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by _DISAVOWED_]

Actually It seemed to me like you were talking about Michigan. Were exactly the same only crappy weather here. There are no jobs and nobody gives a crap, about anything anymore. I have several friends in other states and they say the same things were sayin. So I baleave its a national problem not a this state or that state problem. Our goverment is corrupt so We the people have stopped caring and some are also becoming corrupt. When I was a kid we were taught to look up to the president. I dont teach my kids to do that I dont want there hereo's to be criminals. Better to have them look up to fitional charters like superman and spiderman.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
No offense to you Californians but its your whole NIMBY mindset that's killing your state. Texas's prison population reflects its ethnic make-up because we don't have the huge social support networks you guys created in the 60's and 70's. If you want survive in Texas, you've got to work.
You virtually banned the construction of certain necessary infrastructure like new oil refineries and electrical powerplants with restrictive environmental regulation and you complain about the high cost of gas and electricity? You've sucked dry the Colorado River so that in no longer reaches the Gulf of California and are trying to steal more water from your already drought stricken neighbors of Arizona and Nevada.
You claim to want protect the environment but you've 15 million people living in as area that's water supply can only support 500 thousand. The housing situation got so critical that more than 500K people moved to Phoenix from California just so they could afford a house over the last 10 years. Without outside sources of water,fuel and electricity, a single summer's deaths from the heat in SoCal would make Katrina look like a tea party. Why worry about earthquakes?

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
You guys are right on the money about Socal. I grew up in a small town in southern Virginia and lived in the southeast til 01, and I moved to L.A. county and lived there from 01-04... and I will tell ya, I was ready to leave that place when I did. Dont get me wrong, it's a cool place to live for a while, a million things to do and see, lots of beautiful women and lots of fun. But the down side was not worth the good points. The cost of living is so retarded compared to almost anywhere else that you can barely survive, even with a good job. I was living in a not so great mostly hispanic neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley and we paid $2600 mo for a two bedroom house that was old and run down. And unless you are in some type of entertainment field the salaries that you make are the same as anywhere else and do not compensate for the high expenses. Traffic is HORRIBLE...if you have ever been on the 5 Freeway at 6am just to get to your job by 9am which is only 10 miles away... you know what I am saying. The areas where most regular people can afford to live are drug and gang infested and if you are white you could have issues. Police sirens and helicopters flying over all night long, gun shots, it sucked. I did have a chance to live in one nice area which was the Canyon Country /Santa Clarita area. Beautiful place, expensive but very clean and one of the safest cities in the U.S. just north of L.A.....mid and Northern Cali was beautiful and seemed like a much better area around Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, even the high Sierras. Realistically the only place that I would ever consider moving back to in CA would be the Huntington Beach area, that place is awesome and worth the super high cost to live there, otherwise I will never move back. I came back east to North Carolina, clean, beautiful, we have mountains and beaches and one of the strongest up and coming economies in the country. Raleigh was just voted one of the top 5 best rated cities to live in the country and the Charlotte area is now the new finance and banking capital of the U.S. I make twice as much money now as I did in CA, and I just bought a 2800 sq' house on three acres of land for $180,000. That same house would be a million or more in CA easily.

Now if we can just figure out how to stop all of the yanks from up north from moving down here we will have it made

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Yup Olde Man..I know what you mean. I'm just north across the border from Norfolk, Va and we have lots of Yankees moving in here with their fast food lane ways. Many are very impatient and like to lay on the horn like they do so much up north. No gentility ..no basic civilities.
That is why when I have time I like to get out of this city and go to the country where people are a bit more civil and the pulse/heartbeat of life is slower.

Ive been up north and out to Southern California..not impressed. I'm not even impressed with Northern Virginia and the DC area...horrible place.
Way to much fast food lane living up there.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
All this So-Cal Threadjacking is just showing me how right I was to move to Far-NorCal (Eastern Shasta County) and the Lack of Knowledge from the replies about this area is very heartining!LOL you all just forget I ever mentioned anything about the Southern Cascades,Trinity Alps, Lake Shasta, Whiskeytown Lake,Mt Shasta, Mt.Lassen...

[edit on 25-1-2007 by Donpeyote]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The way Californians sometimes vote, it seems like a great place to frequently escape electricity as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I'm not even impressed with Northern Virginia and the DC area...horrible place.

I grew up in southside VA...and we have never claimed Northern VA....to me it has always been considered Southern Maryland...lol....I make it a habit to never venture any further north than Richmond. You should give Carolina a try....it is still friendly and hospitable in 99% of the cities and towns...although Raleigh is starting to look more and more like south Jersey every year with the northern migration and all. Oh well, what can ya do?

D.C. is pretty close to what hell would be like if I had to describe my version of it..lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join