It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venison Jerky

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:57 AM

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Is that a seal a meal type gadget in the background of one of your pictures.

Yes, it is. I have been doing a bit of home food-processing while things are slow at work. There's also a food dehydrator visible to the right in that same picture. I had been drying fruit earlier in the week.

My instinct before hand for long term storage would be to seal the finished jerky in a vacuum.
However I also understand the premise of your exertions ..can you do this without electricity. Excellent point.

Actually, I just now got everything sealed and cleaned up in the kitchen. I vacuum-sealed the different batches. Recipe "A" has been more popular with my wife, but she likes all food to be insanely hot. She also said it was even smokier than the rest. She also told me that working over the grill gives me a "manly" scent. She wondered it mesquite would make a could cologne, along the lines of those "axe" commercials.

It seems like a great deal of my product "evaporated" in the kitchen, where the kids were millling about during this project. Still, I got 4 portions-for-two packed, and about 5 individual pouches made. The remind me of M.R.E.'s somehow.

I did all the work without electricity, except for the electric carving knife, and the vacuum packer used to save my work. The carving knife was really handy, and I'd hate to have done it by hand. And yet, in a power outtage, I'd probably just jerk the entire joint, fat and all, and just plan on eating the fatty sections first. I left the meat overnight in marinade in the fridge, but I could have done the same in the freezer, if the power were out---it would be quite cool for maybe 8 hours or so.

I spent about an hour cutting off 8 lbs. or so of venison, let it soak overnight, and then let each batch go for about 4 hours. I could have rigged up a 2nd, higher rack in the smoker, but didn't want them dripping on each other. the per one of your earlier posts...did you drop that deer with your reliable .243 rifle?? Curious about this?

Exactly so. I really like the lever action; I seem to re-aquire the target a lot faster than with a bolt action rifle. Shooting from a stand, I can do it in a second or two. I have trouble with a bolt that has to be turned down at the end of its travel forward to lock the breech. I either start turning down to soon, or forget to do it at all or something. I can tell without looking down at it that the lever action has travelled all the way down and back, and is "home" for the next shot.

The buck I was jerking this weekend was actually shot in open country, on the path to the stand.

all the baste (heh heh heh).

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:03 PM

Originally posted by jbondo

P.S. I never make venison sausage. Just not a good animal for sausage IMO.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but - I have to completely disagree with you on that - we make it all the time and even gave some to nephew when he was in college to take back to his apartment - it didn't last long since everyone was stopping by to have him cook it up.

The trick with any game is to be sure to take off all fat, sinew, tendons and silver off - Also as I said we found that pork fat goes off quicker than beef fat.

And the best Italian Sausage I ever had in my life was made from Moose - it made incredible sausage and peppers.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 02:56 PM
Never had Moose sausage so I can't comment on that.

I have had several different styles of venison sausage and just never cared for it too much. Maybe it's because we had so much of it when I was a kid.

As for the flavor of wild game, I have yet to turn my nose up at any type of game meat. I grew up on wild game and really miss it. My father and family actually depended on it when he was growing up during the depression. Most times it was the only meat they could get. They canned everything from rabbit to grouse and stored it in their basement. I'm sure many here can concur with that.

I can tell you one thing; I've spent 2 hours cleaning a shoulder just to get a little meat when the rest of the animal is gone. Talk about silver!

I started with a Stevens 410 side by side for small game at age 12. It was handed down thru the generations. As for big game, I also prefer a lever action, although in .308 caliber.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:19 PM
With steak, I have tried making jerky.... it was great!! Found that about a 200 gram steak shrinks to about 20 grams of jerky. Doesn't rehydrate all that well, though.... and you have to make sure to chew >.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:22 PM
mmmm venison jerky, just the thought of it makes my mouth water!!!!
I could eat it all day every day.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:13 PM
Man that sounds good!

I'm hungry now!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 06:51 AM
I love making jerky with my food dehydrator. I'll use some teriyaki sauce, ground ginger, powdered garlic, salt and pepper.

I cut a beef round when it's just frozen into thin slices and let it marinate in this for 12 hours or so. It takes about 8 hours for the dehydrator to turn the meat into jerky.

I'm going to try some salmon next.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:19 AM
It's not the wells that are shutting down, it is the refineries.
No one would shut a well down. They just seize and you have to re-drill them.
Wild pig and venison and peppers makes for a good sausage.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:16 AM
Seeing as I live in the UK and deer is a little hard to come by , I'm wondering what squirrel jerky tastes like?

<< 1   >>